Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Towing with a VX

Towing with a VX

Hi there,

I'm currently considering a VX as my next vehicle purchase. I have one question that I can't seem to find a clear answer to:

What is the towing capacity of the Vehicross?
    I read somewhere 5000lbs, but I have not seen any pics or proof of this.

I have a 17' speedboat with a 140 inboard/outboard. Not sure what it weighs, but it's pretty much an average 17' speedboat. Do you guys think this would be ok to tow around with a VX?

Thanks in advance,
    -Ryan

you mean like this?

I wouldn't go much more than 2000lbs since that's approaching the vehicle weight. You should be fine with your set up though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

although

the manual states the VX is not recomended for towing

Just remember you have a short wheelbase so I guess it can get squirrelly, I'm NOT speaking from experience
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

I haven't towed any boats/trailers with the VX, and I don't plan to because it is AWD and the added strain on the TOD system might cause TOD flucuations/issues.

My primary tow vehicle has always been my 1978 FJ-40. I've previously owned a 19' Bayliner Cuddy Cabin which had a single-axle trailer, and it was squirrelly as heck with massive sway (very scary). My current boat is a 19' MasterCraft ProStar 190 Tournament Ski Boat with a tandem axle and it tracks smooth as silk behind my FJ-40 with no issues and zero sway.

My advice-- No, I wouldn't tow anything behind the VX simply because of the tempermental TOD system. In addition; I would highly recommend a tandem axle boat trailer if available for your boat, as dual axle boat trailers track straight and true without any sway.

In my opinion, a trailer tow hitch should only be installed on a VX to serve as a primary mounting point for a "Rear Step Bumper" that fits into the square box receiver hitch (to protect the vunerable rear cladding). Examples of Rear Step Bumper's using square box trailer hitches can be viewed on the photo gallery's of MARLIN and MR. LARRY'S
    Last edited by Riff Raff : 04/15/2009 at 05:44 PM

I towed a 22' donzi classic (with a full tank of fuel) from cape cod, mass to lake george ,ny. no problems,probably a lot heavier than your boat. Probably close to 5000 lbs with trailer and fuel. shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian80 View Post
    Hi there,

I'm currently considering a VX as my next vehicle purchase. I have one question that I can't seem to find a clear answer to:

What is the towing capacity of the Vehicross?
    I read somewhere 5000lbs, but I have not seen any pics or proof of this.

I have a 17' speedboat with a 140 inboard/outboard. Not sure what it weighs, but it's pretty much an average 17' speedboat. Do you guys think this would be ok to tow around with a VX?

Thanks in advance,
    -Ryan
    1COOLVX

Wink

Borrowed from Bantan's gallery:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Hey Tom..did ya strip yers down!!

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    I wouldn't go much more than 2000lbs since that's approaching the vehicle weight. You should be fine with your set up though.

WEIGHTS & CAPACITIES

Curb weight
    3955 lbs

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wow thanks for all the pics and info guys..
    I think I'm going to continue to pursue the VX, as towing will be infrequent short trips.
    Thanks again,
    -Ryan

"Hey Tom..did ya strip yers down!!"

Thx Joe so VERY much for correcting me.

'Scuse my typo, I meant to say 3000lbs. My SeaDoo is prolly about 2000lbs and tows fine. The twin pack of SeaDoos is even less & tows even better with the wider stance (it's almost as wide at the VX with the offset from Hell).

I agree with Canadian, for short hauls to/from the lake, the VX is fine for towing. For long hauls, you should at least add a tranny cooler.

Canadian, the power mode switch can be your friend while towing. It is NOT recommended to use low range on the transfer case while on pavement (some have without incident but I never would).

Tom

Arrow

Follow the same towing guidelines as for the Isuzu Trooper RS which has the same wheelbase as the VX: 5000lbs tow and 500 tongue. I'm not certain why Isuzu chose not to include this in the VX manual and opted for the "towing not recommended" comment other than dealing with an overly-litiginous American society. But a survey of Isuzu's other 90-inch wheelbase vehicles will yield the same stats for the drivetrain. I regularly towed full loads with my 1993 Trooper RS and will all of my VX's too, you just have to be mindful of the short wheelbase.

Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    In my opinion, a trailer tow hitch should only be installed on a VX to serve as a primary mounting point for a "Rear Step Bumper" that fits into the square box receiver hitch (to protect the vunerable rear cladding). Examples of Rear Step Bumper's using square box trailer hitches can be viewed on the photo gallery's of MARLIN and MR. LARRY'S
    Or this...

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Or this...

Yes, now that's different. I'd just be really worried about the "heat" possibly scorching/melting the plastic rear cladding. It would be the same as parking your VX really close to a open camp fire (not very wise). How 'bout you try it out first near your plastic rear cladding, then give us a product review (or an insurance incident report).

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Yes, now that's different. I'd just be really worried about the "heat" possibly scorching/melting the plastic rear cladding. It would be the same as parking your VX really close to a open camp fire (not very wise). How 'bout you try it out first near your plastic rear cladding, then give us a product review (or an insurance incident report).
    Don't worry, I'm not that dumb, I had exactly the same thought when I first saw it. Apparently you can buy an accessory that extends the arm backwards another couple feet for safety. I guess the idea is that you haul it close to your vehicle then extend it out for cooking and cool-down.

trying to decide if it would be ok to tow a trailer from philly to pittsburgh.. its about a 4hr drive some of it is a highway mountain pass.. not sure of weight.. it would be a 4x8 uhaul trailer with a dorm room worth of stuff

never towed anything before so any tips or input is appreciated