View Poll Results: DO YOU WANT A CARBON HOOD INSERT ??

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES..I SERIOUSLY DO.

47 54.65%
  • MAYBE....

39 45.35%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: CARBON FIBER HOOD INSERTS....20 Buyers needed!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    "I'm still not too clear on what the stock hood insert is made of. Is it fiberglass, or fiberglass on top of something else, or what? I'd like to get some local estimates on getting mine repaired, but I reckon I need to know what it's made of first..."

tworavens,

I was told by one of the guys I got an estimate from that it is SMC (or something like that - I'll edit this post if I ever find out for sure). That stands for Sheet Molded Composit (I think). Basically it's not fiberglass & that's why the repair estimates are so high - fiberglass resin just won't stick to it reliably.

I'm going to try to do the repair myself using this stuff I've had good luck with in the past called PC-7. Home Depot is supposed to be a distributer but I used to get it from True Value.

I've already promised my current insert to another member but I'll try to keep fixing them & making them available if it all works out.

Tom
    A little TJ here (sorry Jo ) But after workin' mine over with the sander, I had no problem feathering/blending in the hood scoop & fang extender thingies using a strand reenforced bondo (kitty hair). That was over a year ago, & so far no problem.

Where I have had problems, is with moisture bubbling up under the finish. It's like the bottom side isn't sealed well enough, & allows condensation to infiltrate up throught the panel...

Another issue I had, was my own lack of forsight, I applied the hood scoop & fang thingies with 3M double stick, & mistakenly thought that the bondo would also act as an adhesive...wrong! Cracked all the way around the perimeter of all 3 peices.

When I get around to a "do-over" I'll use a high quality epoxy, like PC-3 or equivalent to bond the decorations to the insert.
    Last edited by Ldub : 07/20/2009 at 06:35 AM

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    "I'm still not too clear on what the stock hood insert is made of. Is it fiberglass, or fiberglass on top of something else, or what? I'd like to get some local estimates on getting mine repaired, but I reckon I need to know what it's made of first..."

tworavens,

I was told by one of the guys I got an estimate from that it is SMC (or something like that - I'll edit this post if I ever find out for sure). That stands for Sheet Molded Composit (I think). Basically it's not fiberglass & that's why the repair estimates are so high - fiberglass resin just won't stick to it reliably.

I'm going to try to do the repair myself using this stuff I've had good luck with in the past called PC-7. Home Depot is supposed to be a distributer but I used to get it from True Value.

I've already promised my current insert to another member but I'll try to keep fixing them & making them available if it all works out.

Tom
    Thanks for the info. I can now add 'Hood Insert' to my to-do list, after Windows, Cladding Refurbishing, Stereo/GPS Installation, 3" Lift, Roof Rack, Winch, Hitch, Wiper Arm Refinishing, and figuring out what the Fuzzy Hole is for.
    I know you believe you understand what you think I said; but what you fail to realize is that what you heard is not what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by tworavens View Post
    ........and figuring out what the Fuzzy Hole is for.
    Fuzzy Hole purpose??? That's the million dollar question; nobody knows. However, most of us buy the little Hot Wheels toy VX car (same color of course), and put it in the Fuzzy Hole (fits perfect). You can easily find VX Hot Wheels on eBay for cheap.

By the way, as JO has already mentioned numerous times-- "This thread is dead, please let it die!!!"

Yeah, got the Hot Wheels cars, but couldn't find one in Dragon Green so need to touch it up still.

Okay, this thread is dead to me now.

"........and figuring out what the Fuzzy Hole is for."

That's where I keep my Copenhagen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

what is this?

This thread popped up on my list of threads with a new post. It shows having a post today. I click on it and see the last post was actually in July. I get a lot of these showing up as having new threads but when clicked only have old posts.

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    This thread popped up on my list of threads with a new post. It shows having a post today. I click on it and see the last post was actually in July. I get a lot of these showing up as having new threads but when clicked only have old posts.
    IIRC this happens to threads with polls on the top.
    If someone votes on the poll, I shows up as a new post, even if there is no new post.

I admit it can be annoying to people (including me) that use the "Unread posts" link.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    A little TJ here (sorry Jo ) But after workin' mine over with the sander, I had no problem feathering/blending in the hood scoop & fang extender thingies using a strand reenforced bondo (kitty hair). That was over a year ago, & so far no problem.

Where I have had problems, is with moisture bubbling up under the finish. It's like the bottom side isn't sealed well enough, & allows condensation to infiltrate up throught the panel...

Another issue I had, was my own lack of forsight, I applied the hood scoop & fang thingies with 3M double stick, & mistakenly thought that the bondo would also act as an adhesive...wrong! Cracked all the way around the perimeter of all 3 peices.

When I get around to a "do-over" I'll use a high quality epoxy, like PC-3 or equivalent to bond the decorations to the insert.
    That cracking and the bubbles may be what the fiberglass guy was referring to. Ida know, just shooting in the dark.

I'd like to get one. Maybe if people don't let it die we can get them after all.
    Canadian VXer!

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    most of us buy the little Hot Wheels toy VX car (same color of course), and put it in the Fuzzy Hole (fits perfect). You can easily find VX Hot Wheels on eBay for cheap.
    I couldn't find one in Dragon Green so I just put a clock there

Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    There seems to be lots of new interest...!!

We didnt have enough people to make this viable back in April/may 09...

...but maybe we do now.

I'm a little busy for the next month or so..but will try and get some new options and quotes as soon as I can.

Question is...scooped or not scooped...?

And if scooped...we all need to agree on a design.

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm into the WRX type scoop but I'm cool with smooth too. Mark me down as flexible!

Jo, I would order one with a scoop, but not one without.

Not fussy about the type of scoop.

PK

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Scoop for me...

Not too picky, but like the WRX style the best. The T-Bird one looks good also.

Have a great day.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

I'm in if it has a scoop...

Something like this one would be cool.

http://www.yourhotcar.com/prod/Carbo..._102894/12430/