View Poll Results: DO YOU WANT A CARBON HOOD INSERT ??

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES..I SERIOUSLY DO.

47 54.65%
  • MAYBE....

39 45.35%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: CARBON FIBER HOOD INSERTS....20 Buyers needed!

Heck, I would drop the $$ for C/F cladding. Just to shave the weight. But ya, the issue is getting enough interest cause those molds would be pretty insane and not worth the time without enough inventory interest.

I would still be down for a C/F insert (another one), but I am probably in the minority since I want extraction, not induction.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Isn't an induction hood the same as an extraction hood? You do realize an induction hood isn't the one with a forward facing scoop right? An induction hood helps pull air out of the engine bay, not catch it and ram it in lke a scoop.
    Last edited by Ascinder : 10/13/2010 at 07:30 AM
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

I personally realize that but worded it like that since most here have always understood it that way (I'm an old dog here). Just so folks understand.

I have a "ram air" scoop (Ala WRX) currently, and it is useless. The older Evo 8-9 venting is pretty ideal for my application.

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    I have a quote from...

http://www.advancespeedshop.com/exte...FRFWagodPEZwRw

Carbon fiber Hood Insert...manufactured by Seibon.

I will send them an insert , they make a mold and do a run of 20.

Cost...approx $330 per....very competitive with OEM metal price.

Payment up front will be required...to cover my butt!

Please indicate via poll if SERIOUSLY interested.

jo
    can they make a complete hood as well?

For your left arm and first born I'm sure they could make any shape out of carbon fiber! But it's gonna be 'spensive! I looked into a cf hood for my Mach once, priced around $700, and that was a semi mass produced hood! Can't imagine the price tag for a one off hood!

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    I have a "ram air" scoop (Ala WRX) currently, and it is useless. The older Evo 8-9 venting is pretty ideal for my application.

Saw a G35 Coupe in LA outfitted with one of these type hoods, and the owner claimed it dropped the average temperature in the engine bay down by around 100 degrees. Probably would be great for guys with superchargers.

100 degrees sounds like a lot, but it looks like that would be achieved as a combination of the large air dam and the hood. It does look cool. Good, the VX was starting to look too normal.

It would be nice if we could agree on something that was a performance mod rather than purely aesthetic. Weight savings would be nominal.

There are a number of manufacturers of reproduction hood tachs that were used by GM during the muscle car era. I wish there was a universal hood tach that was on the market. My first two cars were GTO's, and I always wanted one, but not too many were outfitted that way.
    '01 Kaiser SC'ed VX #0867

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Saw a G35 Coupe in LA outfitted with one of these type hoods, and the owner claimed it dropped the average temperature in the engine bay down by around 100 degrees. Probably would be great for guys with superchargers.
    Ya, 100 sounds pretty damned high unless he had Mr Fusion under the lid.

As far as the design of the hood in the pic, I am just interested in the center flow, not so much the gills over the strut towers. That is bordering rice/too busy for me. That central section could be fitted to work within the confines of the insert and you can either cut your hood for some functionality or keep as is for looks. Of course, suggestions would also include some sort of meshing to keep debris out of the bay.

Just saying.... I have an extra insert and have been looking for that style of fixture to attempt fabbing on my own, but crap-for-all is online, and when you find what you want, it's C/F. It's been a lose/lose so far.

I read a review of the guy's car in a pretty reputable tuner magazine, too bad I threw those away when I sold my G35. I'll dig around the net and see if I can find the article, I'm pretty sure he had the temp measured at a dyno shop to verify the results.

Well I spent 20 minutes searching, that's about all of my life I intend to spend on it. I will say that it's far more likely that a vented hood would make a big difference on a G35 than on a VX, as the distance between the top of the engine and hood is like 1" or less, as opposed to where we probably have at least 3-4 inches. To put that in perspective, adding an Eaton style top-mount SC to a G35 requires you to cut the hood open or buy a "bubbled" hood to make it work, whereas we don't have to do anything of the sort to make the Alpine system fit. Guys that do this cooling business take the engine cover off, remove the heat wrap from the bottom of the hood, replace the hood with full CF, and then add 6-8 vents. It doesn't make a ton of difference sitting still, but supposedly it does wonders for removing heat when moving because the vacuum created between the intake and the vents pulls the heat out.

No doubt it draws the heat out, but we do still want to keep some heat in and the majority of moisture out. That is the trick when designing a functional flow. You draw too much heat out, your engine will dread colder weather. But, I seriously don't think you could possibly reach the speeds where this would be a factor, heh.

As for moisture, it's really not a big deal, but I don't think you want so much that it manages to soak your wiring/electrical and puddle up wherever it can. Bad enough I have had rodents chew some wiring a couple of times.... but I don't want to track down a short because of moisture. I can at least see where the little buggers chewed away, heh.

It's tricky when you want functional. You want looks, hell, you can just browse the web and pick up any stick-on POS you come across and call it a day.

I hate the heat we r having here in az. 104-116. I love cold alaska weather. But just saying that my vx running in this heat stop and go traffic with ac on still runs at correct temp and even with lower fan shroud removed due to body lift
    I always take life with a grain of salt. Plus mashed potatoes and gravy!

Wish I could say the same, this heat with the A/C on im starting to run hot! =o\

Quote Originally Posted by gergmon View Post
    Wish I could say the same, this heat with the A/C on im starting to run hot! =o\
    ditto, when it was 100 here, if I wasn't moving, temp jumped up to max really quickly.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

id want a Velvet Elvis on one