View Poll Results: DO YOU WANT A CARBON HOOD INSERT ??

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES..I SERIOUSLY DO.

47 54.65%
  • MAYBE....

39 45.35%

Thread: CARBON FIBER HOOD INSERTS....20 Buyers needed!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    "I'm still not too clear on what the stock hood insert is made of. Is it fiberglass, or fiberglass on top of something else, or what? I'd like to get some local estimates on getting mine repaired, but I reckon I need to know what it's made of first..."

tworavens,

I was told by one of the guys I got an estimate from that it is SMC (or something like that - I'll edit this post if I ever find out for sure). That stands for Sheet Molded Composit (I think). Basically it's not fiberglass & that's why the repair estimates are so high - fiberglass resin just won't stick to it reliably.

I'm going to try to do the repair myself using this stuff I've had good luck with in the past called PC-7. Home Depot is supposed to be a distributer but I used to get it from True Value.

I've already promised my current insert to another member but I'll try to keep fixing them & making them available if it all works out.

Tom
    A little TJ here (sorry Jo ) But after workin' mine over with the sander, I had no problem feathering/blending in the hood scoop & fang extender thingies using a strand reenforced bondo (kitty hair). That was over a year ago, & so far no problem.

Where I have had problems, is with moisture bubbling up under the finish. It's like the bottom side isn't sealed well enough, & allows condensation to infiltrate up throught the panel...

Another issue I had, was my own lack of forsight, I applied the hood scoop & fang thingies with 3M double stick, & mistakenly thought that the bondo would also act as an adhesive...wrong! Cracked all the way around the perimeter of all 3 peices.

When I get around to a "do-over" I'll use a high quality epoxy, like PC-3 or equivalent to bond the decorations to the insert.
    Last edited by Ldub : 07/20/2009 at 06:35 AM