View Poll Results: DO YOU WANT A CARBON HOOD INSERT ??

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES..I SERIOUSLY DO.

47 54.65%
  • MAYBE....

39 45.35%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: CARBON FIBER HOOD INSERTS....20 Buyers needed!

Go all the way!
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Replace the iggle with a skull & Ldub will be all over it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Replace the iggle with a skull & Ldub will be all over it.

Did anyone ever make a decision on this? My OEM hood insert is cracking pretty badly and I need a replacement. Also, I prefer no scoop, but only because I want to airbrush a picture on the insert. If everyone else wants a scoop, that's fine with me. Will the insert be matte or glossy? Is that a ridiculous question to ask? Can carbon fiber be made matte?
    Return evil for evil to no one...as far as it depends upon YOU, be peaceable with all men. Romans 12:17, 18

I can't imagine paint of any kind sticking to a slick CF surface without sanding, which you'd have to do to the entire insert or only under your intended design, neither of which sounds easy. Seems like you'd be better off to get a used insert in good shape.

Raw c.f. is gonna have the same issues as our beloved cladding. ..Since it is recommended that the piece be clearcoated, it would lend itself perfectly to having a design painted on it before the clear goes on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Is it the consensus here that a hood scoop never makes sense on any VX under any circumstance?

I mostly drive at elevations ranging from 5,000 to 13,000ft so it's possible my experience only pertains to high elevations. When I drove my WRX, performance of the 2.0 intercooled engine (before the turbo kicked in) was solid for an AWD heavy car. Maybe at high elevations, intercooling makes such a difference, as an already oxygen starved engine gets denser, oxygen richer, cool air. The few times I drove at lower elevations and before turbo lag, it seems like performance was strong as well. I'm a big fan of intercoolers. A performance mod that saves gas.

I think some of the problem is that some want a smooth hood while most want it with a scoop. There's others, that don't have a reason to upgrade as they only want performance mods. I believe that a hoodscoop is rice, unless it is functional. But I'm a big fan of a functional scoop.

Even if forced induction or engine compartment cooling doesn't warrant the upgrade, couldn't the scoop be made to cool an intercooler with the air intake in the fender? Someone could design a I/C system, either available for NA or SC engines, with a high-performance filter and housing, with a fender intake. I think then we would have a great reason to have a scoop.

So people just wanting the visual of a scoop would be happy, and those that want a performance mod would be happy as well. Intercoolers are fairly cheap, and I know we have some engineers or just really knowledgeable members here that could come up with a system. The other advantage of this mod is you wouldn't have to do it all at once, so it would be approachable for more people. If we timed it with income tax return time, it may help as well.

I'd be one that probably wouldn't bother with the upgrade, unless I could go all the way, and then I'd be super excited about it. So what do you say Jofotoz, do we revive this thread?
    '01 Kaiser SC'ed VX #0867

can they make a full set of CF cladding as well?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingV77 View Post
    can they make a full set of CF cladding as well?
    Now we're talking!
    Canadian VXer!

Those would be extremely expensive. I don't see 20 of us to commit to that one. The molds are obviously way more complex.

Quote Originally Posted by RallyDude View Post
    Maybe at high elevations, intercooling makes such a difference, as an already oxygen starved engine gets denser, oxygen richer, cool air.
    I thought air was thinner at higher elevations?

Quote Originally Posted by RallyDude View Post
    Intercoolers are fairly cheap, and I know we have some engineers or just really knowledgeable members here that could come up with a system.
    Maybe jdm_monkey would know? He's working on designing a turbo kit in his spare time, which I'm sure includes an intercooler.

You are right, air is thinner at high elevations. Cooling the air makes it denser, and therefore it has more oxygen. My point is, maybe this effect is more evident at high elevations?

I see your logic there, but the fact is that the air gets thinner before it gets cooler. Any benefits taper off pretty quickly. Otherwise you'd see piston driven prop planes flying a lot higher(like jet higher). Many old WWII fighters were supercharged and intercooled and it only got them so far. Also intercooling as a gas saver? I never heard of that one. From my understanding the denser air charge is used to allow the turbochargers compressed/heated air to cool down and become denser so more fuel could be burned. As far as the scoop/ no scoop argument. Has anyone thought about the consequences of all the miscellaneous debris that's going to end up in your engine bay? I would think an induction style would make a lot more sense from a functional/ease of use standpoint. Looks about as cool too.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. You lose MPG as you go up in altitude. An intercooler does make the air denser, so I guess it would be comparable to driving at a lower elevation.

But I do agree, for me, it's not about driving conservatively. The intercooler provides more oxygen, so that I can use more skinny pedal for the turbo or supercharger. I think in and of itself, the intercooler provides more oxygen, and if used conservatively, would aid in MPG. I know some people that own Turbos on the 92x site, but drive it below boost, so they can run regular gas, and they do report very good gas mileage. To me, it sounds a little ridiculous. Kind of like buying full skid plates, but not wanting to take it off-road.

I'm guessing if tested, more hydrocarbons would come out of a NA vehicle compared to one outfitted with a IC. If the IC provides a more complete burn, you would expect better performance and better MPG. Before you decide to floor it anyway.