Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Front end grabbing/ grinding?

I was thinking the bearingd too. I just got my brakes inspected( im in need of front rotors in the future but not now) all was fine. I have purchased the mec tech cv boots and will install them, but i dont think thats gonna solve anything. I was under the impression that if it were the CV's you would get the sound/ feeling on every rotation? Thanks everyone! This site rocks!!!!! Glad to be part of the crew!

FYI, the bearings are inside the rotors on the front, might be an incentive to change them out sooner rather then later..

Best wishes

Jeff

Y'all are making a simple diagnosis difficult. There are exceptions but:

Clicking/grinding/binding while going straight (particularly when at slow speeds) is a sign of inner CV wear.

Clicking/grinding/binding while turning (particularly in slow speed tight turn) is a sign of outer CV wear.

Since you have torn outer boots, fix that first to see if that is the complete cure.

Careful tho, the torn boot is the cause of the problem but is NOT the problem. The CV is worn now since it ran without grease & probably accumulated a lot of abrasives. I know that one member ran without any boots at all for a while with no problems (lucky b@stard). In my case, I tore my inner boots while 300 miles from home. By the time I got home, my CVs were toast. It took months to find someone who would rebuild my CVs and it wasn't cheap. That's why I'm now the self appointed Gestapo for inspecting CV boots on a regular basis (when did you last check yours?). That's also why I've been trying to help those with lifts of 3" to get diff drops.

Search on CV, boots, or mechatech to find all kinds of info on the subject. Also don't forget to download the installation instructions that Billy made (and print a copy to have on hand during the install).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Thanks for the info! I did download the write up for the boot install, and put them on two days ago.....BUT just like you said the boot was a result of a problem, not the problem. So just yesterday I was driving and the sound/feeling came back then I heard a clicking and I pulled over an took a look. The CV SNAPED!!!!! Now I will begin my long search for someone to rebiuld/ fab up a new one for me. ANybody got good idea who to talk to?

Sorry dude - H8 it when that sorta thing happens.

Use the search on CVs or half shafts. There are several threads on the subject with info on locating the parts. There was even some discussion on cross over with Trooper parts.

I was able to locate replacement parts from a bone yard & the shop used most of the parts in the rebuild. I had bad luck with all of the online sites that listed rebuilt units (said they were available but weren't).

You can remove your shafts and just leave the outer races (green cups) in place. You'll only have 2WD but at least it's driveable.

Yeah I limped my little beast back home, but all is fine. I have been searching for replacement half shafts and have even used the parts quest site( thought i would give it a try).

Have you changed you Transfer Case Oil?

Mine was binding on tight turns with a bit of whine... it got real loud one day and would barely turn. I was fearing the worst until I found a thread suggesting I change the T/C oil. That was the solution!!

Good luck.

ender

Sinking feeling in gut

I nearly fainted today. I had the sinking feeling in my gut. I was in the garage, cutting tubing for my bumper, attempting to weld, decided to get a new welding helmet. The new Chief Selects(Navy promotion system for E7s) were doing a car wash, as a Chief, I felt obligated to help them. So I took the vx out to a good old fashioned swamp trail. Got it covered with gloopy mud, as my 4yr old calls it. No problems, had a blast. VX performed perfect as usual, until I got on the road. Then all hell broke loose. The TOD light started flashing, and I couldn't turn worth a damn. I got that sinking feeling. Pulled over, turned it off, turned it back on, no light. Wooohooooo!!!!!!!!! Until I started to turn around. It felt like I was pushing against a rock, and then, bam, it started moving. My first thought was a tie rod or anti sway bar, but I was just in mud, nothing hard and I didn't hit anything. Hmmmm, felt even worse, cause then the Check TOD light came on again. It was driving ok, I put it 4wL, no problems, put it back in high, still the same. So I drove it home, it felt heavy when turning, like I was driving in sand or something. Got it home, and immediately jumped on here. My wife knew something was wrong, I was very distraught.
    Found this thread, matched my symptoms, but it was covered in mud, so nothing to do but pressure wash it so I could check the harnesses. Washed it all out, pulled it out of the driveway to clean the mud off the driveway, decided to check it again, and voila, problem solved. Drove another 40 miles today since, and no problems, everything back to normal. Once it cools down, I need to find the harnesses for the TOD sensors so I can CRC them and then pump em full of dielectric grease. Boy was I relieved, this I can fix, I dind't want to have spend another 300-400 bucks to repair something like that.
    Tomorrow I will track down those harnesses...

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Marlin,

Glad to hear it was an easy fix! Jay Fazed sold his VX to me (ho ha ha ha). He had fixed this problem before I bought it and I haven't experienced it. He ended up replacing one of the CV joints and that fixed the problem.

Here's the interesting part, There's mud caked on almost everything in the undercarriage. I've pressured washed the VX 3-4 times in the last month and I still am finding "cement mud". Thats two VXs that have had the same problem with mud as the possible culprit. Now that i've read your post, i'm thinking mud is very bad for our VXs. Jay fazed had cracked CV boots which could have allowed mud to easily get into the CV joints. I'm gonna pressure wash the VX again and get ALL the mud off, maybe it will fix problems I don't even have...

just out of curiosity, whats it cost to have the bearings replaced on all 4 wheels at shop? ball park figure..

may have to make a visit to St. charles isuzu, im only about 45 mins away.

im having some grinding noises when i slow from about 15 mph to 0. im hoping its just brake pads though, im about due for new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVXer99 View Post
    just out of curiosity, whats it cost to have the bearings replaced on all 4 wheels at shop? ball park figure..

may have to make a visit to St. charles isuzu, im only about 45 mins away.

im having some grinding noises when i slow from about 15 mph to 0. im hoping its just brake pads though, im about due for new ones.
    No rear bearings, I wouldn't bother going that far to Isuzu for bearings. I had mine done at Pepboys, front wheels, inner and outer, and it was less than 200 with the parts I think. The Isuzu dealership in Columbus, OH quoted me 600 for the same job.