Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Front end grabbing/ grinding?

Front end grabbing/ grinding?

Hello everyone. Im new here and this is my first post. Anyway I have been experiencing a grabbing/ grinding feeling in my front end( mostly front passenger side) when I turn right at slow speeds. It is intermident but just feels like something is gonna break. I have read a lot of post about clunks, torque binding, locking, ect, but none of them describe mine. My TOD light isnt on, im not in 4lo. Any suggestions? Oh also I have torn outside cv boots onboth sides, but greese is still in them, and I ordered new ones from Independent4x.

first off, welcome to the group, as some would say "addiction"!

Here is a thread that "might" describe what you are talking about. I say might because you state turning right with the right tire grabbing... usually it is the opposite tire of the direction you are turning.

Here is another thread look at post #6 by Joe_Black

But I'm sure someone with a lot more know how will chime in.
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

Thanks for the links. I have read those and Im not sure if those symptoms are the same. Well they sound the same but after reading through them it turns out something is differnt. like the TOD light turned on or something. I have no check lights being displayed and just had a service done( it made the sounds/ feelin before hand aswell). Im pretty stumped on all this. So please everyone chime in.. Knigh7s thanks agian for the help!

Jay, welcome to the family and congrats on your "new" VX. Make sure to post pictures when you get a chance so we can all revel in the VX glow.

You didn't post anything about the year or milage of your VX so it might be a little difficult for us to diagnose what's going on, but I'll give it a shot. If the grinding feel/sound only happens intermitantly it may be a bearing going out. Depending on how long the boots have been torn, and if they are the boots down by the wheel, even though they still have grease in the CV joints the boot may be allowing water and other debris to get down in there and ruin the bearing.

I would think that if the passenger side bearing was going out it would make more noise as you turned left (and loaded the passenger side wheel) so I may be way off here.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Hummm. sounds very possible. I will inspect the bearing when I do the boot install. The boots are till where they belong, just torn all the way around. I have an 99' Ironman edt. with 103k miles.

Well, are the boots torn because your VX is lifted? A torn boot and CV problems usually creates a clicking sound, but that is only in 4WD.

I am going to go out on a limb and ask about your brakes and rotors? From my experience, grinding often comes from worn out brakes/rotors.

Bart

I thought it was my rotors too, but I just got the VX serviced and the brakes was part of their inspection. I guess I should look over them aswell. Can't always trust the shop did what they told you they were gonna do. Im VX isnt lifted...yet! I wanted the front end issues to be cleared up be for I lift it and possibly creat more problems. Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Fazed View Post
    I thought it was my rotors too, but I just got the VX serviced and the brakes was part of their inspection. I guess I should look over them aswell. Can't always trust the shop did what they told you they were gonna do. Im VX isnt lifted...yet! I wanted the front end issues to be cleared up be for I lift it and possibly creat more problems. Thanks for your input!
    Yeah, I would definitely look at their work with a keen eye. As you said, you can't always trust what the shop did, and that is why many of us opt to do as much work outselves as possible. Plus, you will find that most shops have never even seen a VX, let alone worked on one! The VX does not really work so good with many types of after market brake pads. Do you have maintenance records from the previous owner? With that many miles on the VX, and with no records, you never know if your brakes were ever serviced. If I was you I would give the VX all the maintenance work needed for 100k as soon as possible, regardless of what the shop says. But that's just me and I tend to go overboard with babying my VX.

And if your CV boot is torn and you are NOT lifted, that makes me wonder. Either you live somewhere that has a harsh climate that would cause the boot to crack, or the previous owner did some damage under there somehow. With a cracked boot, I would say that CV problems should be the first place to look.

If you have oversized tires make sure they aren't slightly rubbing on your cladding, but I am sure you would have noticed that by now.

Bart

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    If you have oversized tires make sure they aren't slightly rubbing on your cladding, but I am sure you would have noticed that by now.

Bart
    thats actually EXACTLY what i was gonna say...maybe you arent noticing oversized tires rubbing on the front cladding??

just something simple to look at..
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

My tires are 275/65/16. Hardly oversized compared to others Ive seen. And The pervious owner gave me a copy of the 100k service. Beyond that i dont know what was done. The shop I took it to(dont have an isuzu dealer in town) had never seen or heard of a VehiCROSS too.lol But i figured i was just geting some standard thing done( brake flush, diff. lube changed to synthetic front and rear, eng oil change synthetic, spark plugs, pvc, ect) Nothing vehical specific. The previous owner idnt even know how many owners there were before him! I couldnt pass on the price 6k! And everything works great, just that weird feeling when I make SLOW turns. I did go over a large bump once and had probelms with what i thought was torque binding for a while then it cleared up. And now it kinda back but just the front end not the rear. Well keep it comming guys. Ill take my VX to a brake place and see if there is any abnormal wear, maybe it time for some R1concept rotors!

also check

all 4 tire tread depth and inflation. Make sure the tires with deeper tread are in the back and have the same psi in each tire. I experienced something similar when one of my tires had a slow leak

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Alignment maybe?

Alignment? I dont think i would get a grabbing sensation because of that. Maybe? Ill look into it. Thanks agian everyon for the ideas. Hopefully it will all be fixed this weekend.

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    If you have a lot of toe out on one side, that can bind up the tires when turning sharp and slow, as you described.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by VehiGAZ View Post
    If you have a lot of toe out on one side, that can bind up the tires when turning sharp and slow, as you described.

Good luck!
    It could be the wheel bearings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mine had about 115K when I got it, no noise driving straight, until I got up to 75ish. By the time I got home to SC, I had added about 800 miles, it was then making the noise at 60ish, and on slow, tighter turns. It continued to get worse, until it was at 40mph, and on all turns. It felt like a grinding, rubbing, horrible metal on metal feeling. (This was all over a few days, during the New Years/Christmas week, so I had to wait to get it in the shop. Replaced both front wheel bearing sets and now its perfect. But with your boot torn...that could be bad indeed.
    Welcome to the gang and good luck!!!!
    Last edited by Marlin : 04/19/2009 at 05:16 AM Reason: Missed the first post about ordering the boots

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson