Thread: What is current hitch info?

What is current hitch info?

I need to get a hitch (soon) and I've been looking around at old threads. Some of the threads are pretty old, so I'm not sure what still applies. Has anybody done a hitch recently? Does the UHaul one (#757235) work out and do the UHaul guys know how to install it right? Is the Curt Hitch the same one Tone supplied or are there differences?

Thanks for any info and photos from the group...

(You can't talk about hitch's without Tone's name coming up. My thoughts go out to Tone's family and friends. I had a few conversations with him a over the years and have nothing but good things to say about him.)

Quote Originally Posted by JimRori View Post
    I need to get a hitch (soon) and I've been looking around at old threads. Some of the threads are pretty old, so I'm not sure what still applies. Has anybody done a hitch recently? Does the UHaul one (#757235) work out and do the UHaul guys know how to install it right? Is the Curt Hitch the same one Tone supplied or are there differences?
    I'm pretty sure that the UHaul hitch and the Curt hitch are the same design, if not the same identical part. It works okay, but sits so low, that it will limit your off-roading activities somewhat. The benefit of the Curt hitch is that you do not have to cut your cladding to install it.

Last time someone looked, Tone was no longer selling the Curt model, and was only selling his frame-mount one.

A local shop put the Curt hitch on mine. They charged about $200 for the hitch, 2" ball, installation and wiring. I am very pleased with the result. I pull a 10' trailer with my Ninja on it, and also have a receiver mount bike rack we haul our bicycles on. The VX acts like the trailer isn't there. It will get a real test next month, when I load 2 bikes on the trailer and pull them deep into the Texas Hill country. The hitch isn't any lower than the gas tank, but it is all the way out under the bumper, so it might affect ground clearance when the VX pitches. It was a no-brainer for my needs.
    Robert

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Yes..basically same U haul part ..Its the Dylan Curtis hitch I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by mdwyer View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the UHaul hitch and the Curt hitch are the same design, if not the same identical part. It works okay, but sits so low, that it will limit your off-roading activities somewhat.

NO..I disagree re limiting your off roading.

I actually think it acts as a GREAT rear end protector..

It allows steep exit angles using the hitch tubes as skid points....

...and,it protects your exhaust.

Plus...with a $100 step bar on it...you'll save MUCHO $$$'s on rear end dings.

Trust me..I know!

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i got one at a local rv and camper place. 275.00 installed. class 3 hitch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Milwaukee WI