View Poll Results: Rear Cargo space worth it?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Makes sense...

2 16.67%
  • Why waste your time for the little space gain...

2 16.67%
  • You have too much time on your hands...

3 25.00%
  • Do it...

5 41.67%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Interior space usage redux

Interior space usage redux

Some of you may have seen Jacks (pbkid) thread on interior write up.
    Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    not enough to make it worth it...

i took some quick pics for you though...

just a little gain on the very far back left and right

Basically I want to build a box for the whole back that would have storage for my spare underneath and then some stuff on the sides like the rear cargo holds on an avalanche.

I would probly slice the rear panel where the yellow or green lines are and add up and down cargo holds there. Then the middle piece would go across the back.

Here is a BAD small drawing of my idea.

The red speckle would be reserved for a speaker and the parts with the green dot would be up and down cargo holds for a tow rope or whatever on either side of the wheel well. Then other different compartments around the tire.

i like the thought.. but i dont think you will be happy with the amount of room back there once its all said and done, i know id also have to find something to do with the panels in there, that unfinished look back there would drive me crazy, maybe tidy up the wires and rhino line it?

if it was me and i knew id never use the back seat again, i would build a mount to hold the spare tire upright behind the front seats and make a very thin false floor across the back of the whole cargo area so i could lay tools, rags, fluids flat underneath it and still have a flat cargo area

Storage for the spare underneath? If this is a full size spare your drawings are not too scale and your box will be a whole lot taller than you think and take up too much space I am afraid. But you will never know until you start the planning stages, it will be interesting to see what you decide.

I know that some others have done a few cargo permutations in the rear of the VX. There's always Ldub's cargo/sub box, and I think Kenny has gone through a couple of combinations back there. I think the ultimate cargo area box would be Grandpa Bob's storage box/ bed. If you can do without your rear seat, then I would say go for it. You can always use more storage. Take a look at the threads below for more ideas.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ht=grandpa+bob

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...rage+solutions

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...ge/2/ppuser/36 - this is Green Dragon's gallery (I THINK that's Grandpa Bob, but I'm not sure)
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

My seat is not going back in, at least not in my truck. I have seen and I like the idea of alot of these other thoughts. I am not certain on what I will do. I would end up cutting the top half of the panels to make it work but dont like the thought of that in case I change my mind later.

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    this is Green Dragon's gallery (I THINK that's Grandpa Bob, but I'm not sure)
    Yep...Grampa Bob=Green Dragon
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Talking take the rear seat out

purchase a nice universal cargo box of which there are plenty. If you want use your skills to mount the box on the brackets like the rear seat does and that should work fine.

Hey look mom I reinvented the wheel

Clint, how come you don't just leave the spare on the roof? Gas mileage? I get way better mileage with my roof rack off, but...

I was actually looking at doing something similar myself. I want to cut out a square sized alcove in the paneling underneath where the tire iron is stored. I just can't remember if there is anything in the way or not. I bought one of those Czech 1 gallon gas cans, cleaned it out, and filled it with motor oil. This way I can carry motor oil in a better, more solid container. Usually I would just stick a Mobile-1 jug in the tailgate but occasionally they will leak. This new can won't leak, but I was trying to think of a spot for it behind the paneling.

I think it could be done, but I don't know about having all the metal exposed and how it will look. I thought about doing this a while back, just to further the Mad Max look, but I just think it will look bad unless you do something totally seamless that looks like it belongs there. I don't think you will get enough space gain by removing the panelling. I think you could build a nice box however, that fits the spare, a nicer jack and some basic tools, and then still have cargo space on top of that.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Clint, how come you don't just leave the spare on the roof?
    I have been parking in the garage at the apartment and with the tire on I wont fit.

I think it could be done, but I don't know about having all the metal exposed and how it will look.
    I would cut the paneling where the box would start to make it flush with the box, that way the upper metal is not exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn View Post
    I have been parking in the garage at the apartment and with the tire on I wont fit.
    Oh I see. Yeah, that is a problem. I still rub going into my garage!

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn View Post
    I would cut the paneling where the box would start to make it flush with the box, that way the upper metal is not exposed.
    Well then, I think it can definitely be done. You just need to really plan and measure. It would be cool if you could find some sort of plastic trim that you could use over the edges where you cut, to give it a nice finished look.

Bart

Well then, I think it can definitely be done. You just need to really plan and measure. It would be cool if you could find some sort of plastic trim that you could use over the edges where you cut, to give it a nice finished look.

Bart
    Yeah I would probly try and find an extra set of interior pieces just in case. I know it could come out nice if done right. I dont think I will put my spare in there after looking at the size Kenny's took up. Maybe a 6 or 8 inch height would be enough.

What about a sliding cargo area or box?

www.roll-a-bed.com

now you got me thinking

how nice an opening rear window and a tailgate would have been instead of this monstrosity of a door.

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    how nice an opening rear window and a tailgate would have been instead of this monstrosity of a door.
    it would have been very nice.