Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ummm, is this for real? cladding fix?

ummm, is this for real? cladding fix?

Hey guys,

There are tons of these videos on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-UPs...eature=related

wonder if this really would be a viable fix.

I've also been looking as some re-dye solutions. I came across a product called forever black that seems to be getting some pretty awesome result aside from taking forever to apply.

Anyway, thought I would toss some info I"m running across out there for everyone.

Cheers
    Technocoy.
    macintosh man

I use a product product called black again at least twice a month.it takes me around 10 minutes to complete the application.

The down fall is the dust,it picks upa good bunch of dust,but i don't make it a issue,it does the job to protect & shine up the cladding
    Dakar was just the begining.

yeah, I'm really trying to find someone who does the professional re-dying to see what it would cost, I'd really like to get a more permanent solution for our issue.

Wonder how much a full set of new cladding would be from St.Charles/Merlin. I'd love to maybe get a set for the future just in case. Sheet metal can be fabricated, I don't want to even have to worry about my cladding in another 10-15.

I have my two like-new front seat and headlights in the basement now. I'm getting ready to have my steering wheel recovered, and at some point i need to order a full set of door/window rubber for her too.

Will you give this heat gun stuff a try ?

I got one & tomorrow i'll try it to see how it works at hidden spot like the rear cladding near the edge at the tank protective plate.

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Technocoy - you should do some searching on this site. We have discovered a product called "Refinish Restorer" that has by far shown the best results for permanent cladding refinishing. It's about $40 for what seems to be a lifetime supply.

Seek and you shall find...

Good Stuff for cladding

I use some stuff called miracle orrange,http://www.miracleorrange.com It cost $14.95 a bottle. Look at my pictures, they were taken the day I picked up my VX in Sept 08. I'm sorry I didn't take a before picture. Truthfully, I didn't think about it. It has been on since then and it looks the same today as then, doesn't attract dust unless it is still wet. Note: it doesn't turn the cladding black, just a deep gray.
    So I said to myself, I said "Handee"
    and this voice came back and said..
    "He's not in, may we take a message?"

It looks peppy.

I viewed the youtube videos about the heat gun stuff & seems to do a good job

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    the only issue with the head gun, as i use one on a regular basis at work (best buy audio installation) is that you are going to have problems getting it even..and once you try it, you cant go back
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by technocoy View Post
    Hey guys, wonder if this really would be a viable fix.
    Cheers
    Technocoy.
    Hmmm, a viable "fix" for what??? Exactly what are you trying to "fix"-- deep scratches in cladding OR sun-faded cladding??? The heat gun might be able to help blend-in deep scratches by "melting" the cladding, but I would definately not use any type of heat gun for routine UV sun-fading. "Refinish Restorer" is by far the best product for common UV sun-fading. The thought of using any type of heat torch on plastic cladding gives me the heebie-jeebie's (I just ain't doing it, period).

yeah, i was thinking it may be difficult to get even on such a wide surface as ours, that and the permanency of a screw up worries me.

I was under the impression noone had gone very long yet with the refinish restorer to give us an update. If that's the way to go I'll be picking me some up. I've tired of B2B every few weeks. Or the VX looking crappy for a few months because i can't find the time for it.

Cheers,
    Technocoy.

refinish restore, best of the lot, but if you get it to heavy, reminds me of the old starched fatigues where get the white sweat marks and I am speaking from experience on both of them
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

beelzebub finally gets all fresh and clean...

Hey guys,

never got to post any photos of her with her new shoes on. Finally got around to cleaning her up this weekend and took some photos in the midst of putting on the Back to Black.

I think my next time around is gonna be the refinish restore.

I believe my next mod will be tinted windows. There is a 3M joint down the road running a deal. I'm also looking to put on Tone's hitch here soon. Got some trips to IKEA to make!

Cheers,
    David

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    I've had my refinish restorer on for MONTHS (if you search for my post on it from last year you can calculate it exactly) and it still looks great.

It's not a dressing like Boack-to-Black or other car-care products - it's more like a clear-coat.

I only did one coat but others did multiple coats and said it made for a more consistent finish. It's the way to go...

+1 For refinish restorer... I did mine last September and it still looks fantastic.

for the best finish paint it on with an actual paint brush and then use a shop rag to wipe it off after 10 minutes or so... this is what the actual instructions state and it works exceptionally well.

sounds like the way to go then. I'll order some up.

Thanks for the info!