Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Hitch Receiver Available Again!

I gotta say that I'm surprised that NO one has ordered one of these yet, considering the PM response I got...

If I didn't already have Tone's, I would have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Hat's Off Ganz...Looks very, very nice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

if I had someone to do the work

I would probably get one. But I do not have the skills

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    I would probably get one. But I do not have the skills
    Yeah, it's not for the faint of heart. My man has the chops - he could eat a bushel of apples and sh*t a fruit salad!:bwgr: The tough part to get REALLY right is cutting the cladding. Most pro shops would NOT put the time in to get it dead perfect...

The Pain of Longing

Ugh! I want one of these so badly, it's all I can do not to get my credit card out and order one right now. I don't, though, because I haven't the faintest clue what I would do with it when it got here. My son, on the other hand, may know exactly what to do. I will show him your photos, Ganz, and see if he thinks we could pull it off. By the way, thank you for doing this.
    Leah
    Return evil for evil to no one...as far as it depends upon YOU, be peaceable with all men. Romans 12:17, 18

Quote Originally Posted by Leah View Post
    Ugh! I want one of these so badly, it's all I can do not to get my credit card out and order one right now. I don't, though, because I haven't the faintest clue what I would do with it when it got here. My son, on the other hand, may know exactly what to do. I will show him your photos, Ganz, and see if he thinks we could pull it off. By the way, thank you for doing this.
    Leah
    There are a number of "keys" to doing this right, after you get the part in:

1. Read and reread the verbal instructions on Tone's site, and look at the photos. They're pretty much "on the money".

2. Have a helper! Pulling the side cladding back to access the "hidden" Torx screws would be pretty near impossible w/o help. Have some gloves on-hand (no pun intended) too - that cladding is kinda sharp! We also replaced the double-stick tape that we had to remove on the side cladding when pulling it back; don't know if it's "necessary" but we did, just to make sure that the cladding edges didn't "curl up" later on down the road.

3. Have a GOOD, new 1/2" drill bit, and make sure to drill the INNER two mounting holes FIRST! The holes on the receiver assembly likely won't EXACTLY align up with these two existing frame holes, so be prepared to have to "hog out" the frame holes a bit. It's good to have a good SET of drill bits, you'll use several smaller sizes before the job is done, for pilot holes, etc.

4. Allot ALL of a day to do this; there's no hurrying this job, especially cutting the cladding. Due to the nature of this job, there's just no way to supply a "template" for the cladding cut, so careful measuring, cutting, remeasuring, and recutting is SOP (standard operating procedure). Use blue tape to "mark off" your cut line parameters after measuring. We used one of those tungsten "cut everything" hacksaw blades with great success. Remember to radius the corners of the cuts - we used a 5/16" drill bit for this, which seemed to exactly match the radius of the "square" tubing of the receiver.

It's not a particularly difficult job, it just needs to be approached with careful, concentrated deliberation to pull off a "perfect", factory-look result the first time out of the gate. Like brain surgery, there ain't no "practicing", unless you've got a spare section of lower rear cladding! Luckily, once you get "close" on these cuts, you CAN "test fit" the cladding over the receiver assembly; it's a slip-fit, so you see how close you're getting to having the cladding mounting holes lined up. Plan on 3-4 "cuts" to get it exactly right. The results speak for themselves - after doing this, I can't IMAGINE having one of those hideous "generic" round tube assemblies hanging down under the back of MY Vehicross!

Selling Frame Mount 2" Receiver Hitch Kit

I'm selling the hitch that was sold on Tone's website I bought it and ended up not wanting to use my Vehicross to tow. It is still new in the box from when it was shipped to me. I will do $200 for the hitch if you are interested send me a PM

98. Blazed Peacock Mica, 1504 SOLD VxLess Now :O
    Hey guys. If possible does anyone have the plans for this hitch so i could get one made up overhere.

I dont mind the Kurt hitch and ones like that just this hitch looks 100x better.

Cheers.
    Aaron

Guys,

The hitch install really isn't that difficult (at least it's not as difficult as we made it sound). It does take some time and a helper makes the job much easier. Don't let the install scare you away from purchasing. The finished product it well worth the effort.

Aaron - If mine weren't already installed, I'd try to make some drawings for you. Sorry. Try sending VX-13 a message to see if he can trace the parts onto a piece of paper for you.

Tom

...and when the instructions say to remove the two torx screws holding the cladding on, they mean two per side. I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only person to break a cladding tab.

It was a total bear to install, and it isn't for the faint of heart, but once installed, you can't stop thinking of uses for it... Not just towing, but you can now attach bike racks and cargo racks.

cargo racks...

a note on cargo racks with this hitch...

don't put too much weight on it.
    I bought a cargo rack to carry my 260lb jet ski on. The rack actually acts like a lever and twists the bumper/frame/hitch mount.

All other towing is ok...
    Just a warning.
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

"you can't stop thinking of uses for it... Not just towing, but you can now attach bike racks and cargo racks."

And don't forget either a hitch step to make getting in the back easier or better yet, a bully bar to protect your hiney.

If someone can get me specs I can build that for less than $100 certified welder and minimum grade 8 hardware

Smile

I had a tone hitch new and in the box after i saw how low it sat i never did mount it. I wheel with my VX " a bunch" and the reason the cladding is built like that is to allow the rear of the vx to clear a down slope. I built my own hitch but it mounts a bit higher and far more recessed than the "Tone" style.

I still bang it once and a while stepping off an edge.
    This is in no way a derogatory comment merely and FYI to think about.
    Those look great i just would not want to bang my shin against that step part..
    Last edited by Rene M : 12/05/2009 at 08:53 AM Reason: add a pic