Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Window fixin' party

Bummer Eric. Hope to catch you soon.

BTW - sorry Dude. Floor mats still sitting in my car, ready to mail. I fergot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

heh no biggie, ive still got my winter mats in the vx anyway.. havent had much time to do anything lately

Only a little over a week away ... everybody have their SBC brackets?

Bad news Tom... my family is throwing an 80th birthday party for my grandmother that Saturday, so I'm out.

Have fun with Gramma & tell her happy birthday from the VX family.

I know you offered burgers and dogs, but I've got eight packs of Johnsonville brats in the freezer (they were on sale, so I stocked up!), and there's nothing better than a Johnsonville brat grilled over coals. Also, have the appropriate Maier's Italian Steak Rolls to nestle those puppies into...then top with Newman's Own hot salsa, and a slice of melted cheese... Oh, man, I'm gettin' hungry... and I JUST ATE!

So, who wants brats!?
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

Looks like the party is gonna happen for my sis. Also have a lady friend coming into town next weekend that I MUST give some precious time to.

You guys have fun and know that I will have my window brackets in my garage for another 6 months without ever doing them. *sigh*
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

I never thought to look under "meets." I'll be there. My wife is in town and she'll drive us down. I'll bring all my remaining odds and ends off the Ebony.

I was late on ordering my brackets; not sure they have even shipped yet and may not make it in time.

I would like help on fixing my cruise control,which doesnt' work after the engine install. the lights come when the functions are pressed.
    blujfan9293
    Clinton, IL (near Bloomington)

Quote Originally Posted by blujfan9293 View Post
    I never thought to look under "meets." I'll be there. My wife is in town and she'll drive us down. I'll bring all my remaining odds and ends off the Ebony.

I was late on ordering my brackets; not sure they have even shipped yet and may not make it in time.

I would like help on fixing my cruise control,which doesnt' work after the engine install. the lights come when the functions are pressed.
    What's left? Maybe I could convince Tom to store them for me if there's anything of interest.

FYI - just checked the weather report. Sunny & 82 on Saturday.

I'll PM directions to the attendees later.

Tom

PM'd directions yesterday. Lemme know if anyone needs address for GPS or mapquest.

I'm getting adhesive today & have 2 sets of brackets so we're ready to roll.

Tom

I have my brackets too but haven't picked up any adhesive yet. Which reminds me, after reading some of the recent window fixing posts, how long are we thinking it will take for the adhesive to fully cure so that we can put everything back together? I'm sure you don't want us camping out all night waiting for the windows to dry! And hopefully someone attending has successfully done the repairs before?

Looking forward to meeting everyone tomorrow. What time is everyone showing up? Let me know if there is anything I can bring along.

Tim at SBC told me that specific Liquid Nails took 18 hrs to cure and I could drive it right away, windows up, no problem.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

So how did it go guys?

It was great. Even though the time was unscheduled, we had 4 VX’s show up within about 30 minutes of each other. I showed up just before noon, followed shortly by blujfan9293 (Norman and his lovely wife) in their ‘00 Ironman from Lorton, VA, and CSTYLES (Andres) in his ’01 Kaiser all the way from Potomac, MD, and frog11 (Roy) in his ‘01 Dragon from Burke, VA. If Gary and Ashley had shown we would have had all the colors covered (except Astral, but we did have a Kaiser.)

After exchanging greeting and talking VX for a short while, we settled down for burgers, dogs and brats on Tom’s deck. Thanks to Tom and Jamie for hosting a fantastic lunch. Once everyone was fed and content, we put Tom to work fixing windows. The first one was fun to watch, since Tom decided to try every power tool in his garage to remove the old tabs. I’ll have to post a video of that episode. I think every window was slightly different. Some had been replaced or repaired under warranty, some due to damage, and a few were virgin glass. Seems like the earlier tabs were glued on with permanent cement, while the later tabs were put in with a softer grey RTV-type material that had failed to grip on at least half of the tabs.

Tom did most of the work on the five windows he fixed, including one of his own, but there was no shortage of helping hands. After the first couple, he had it down to a science, and was swapping windows faster than the owners could prepare the brackets. Who will be the first to try out their new windows?

The weather held out, although there were some welcomed periods of overcast sky between the pounding sunshine. Overall, a beautiful day. We should have some pictures coming, and I’ll have to see if I can piece together some of the video segments I took into a viewable rendering of the day’s events.

Tom is already planning the next event, so keep your eyes open, because this is one you won’t want to miss. I’ll be there with my “feather duster” and polishing cloth in case anybody needs a touchup.
    Last edited by Cobrajet : 06/01/2009 at 09:38 AM