Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Gasoline stain on cladding...best way to clean

This might sound silly, but maybe head over to the Avalanche owners group and see if any of them have some experience with this. They have cladding similar to ours and may have found a solution. I know someone found one of the more "aggresive" cladding re-treaters over there.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com...ard,111.0.html

One of the guys had this to say:
    To take a stain off - like a gasoline stain, I use soft scrub.

To make it shiny, or clean, I use WD 40

If the cladding is faded like mine is, WD 40 makes it look like new again for a couple of weeks to a month.

Another had this to say:
    Endeavorc,

I just had this problem the other day. I was able to remove the "stain" by using a soft cotton cloth and some "Bug and Tar" remover. I had to go over it a couple of times but it seemed to remove the discoloration with no damage to the cladding. Hope this helps....

Best Regards,
    Burt

I would be VERY careful with WD-40 on the cladding. Test it in an inconspicuous spot first (as they say).

Hopefully one of these works for you.
    Last edited by MSHardeman : 06/16/2009 at 07:54 AM
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

After reading through this post and seeing/hearing about the gas stains, I have to inject my plug for Trim Shine again. I have spilled gas on my VX at least 3 or 4 times, and all I ever do is dab it off with a towel from the gas station. The rest evaporates and if there is any mark at all, a good washing and Trim Shining and it's gone. I really think the Trim Shine creates a protective coat on the cladding that repels stains and makes cleaning easier.

It seems like the people with stains on their cladding from gasoline, actually have severely faded cladding to begin with. So maybe that is the problem.

I urge anyone with faded cladding to give Trim Shine a try for a few months and see what happens...

Bart

The weird part is my cladding was in great shape and I did have a fairly recent coating of Trim Shine on it when it happened, and lots of Back to Black before that. After all this, I have to believe there's something in the Chevron Supreme that acted differently on the cladding.
    Although wish I'd had chance to use the Bug & Tar and the Soft Scrub before I applied the Restore/Refinish.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

'01 Ebony Black VX, 0801; '01 Kaiser Silver VX, 1002

Possibly useful information......

Hi, guys,
    This may be of interest when selecting a product for your cladding. I've been using Turtle Wax Ice polymer coating on my cladding for a couple of years. I apply it 3 or 4 times a year, and it does a good job of keeping the cladding looking nice. Recently, the shut off mechanism failed when I was fueling up at a local convenience store. Gas ran down the cladding in a foot
    wide stream! I ran into the store, bought a big bottle of water, and rinsed off everything the gas touched. I did not wipe it with anything. After the water evaporated, there was NO DAMAGE AT ALL! I was amazed, and I thought it would be worth passing along to the group. It may save someone some trouble........

Randy

Lightbulb when I spill

Quote Originally Posted by 4X4 UFO View Post
    Hi, guys,
    This may be of interest when selecting a product for your cladding. I've been using Turtle Wax Ice polymer coating on my cladding for a couple of years. I apply it 3 or 4 times a year, and it does a good job of keeping the cladding looking nice. Recently, the shut off mechanism failed when I was fueling up at a local convenience store. Gas ran down the cladding in a foot
    wide stream! I ran into the store, bought a big bottle of water, and rinsed off everything the gas touched. I did not wipe it with anything. After the water evaporated, there was NO DAMAGE AT ALL! I was amazed, and I thought it would be worth passing along to the group. It may save someone some trouble........

Randy
    I use the handy squeegie provided to soak it down. I do not dry it havent had a problem
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt