Thread: Gasoline stain on cladding...best way to clean

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    [QUOTE=VX KAT;157831]Oh man, thanks Gussie for explaining that. I did drive it about 8 miles after the spill. Wonder if the CEL would have been triggered by then or maybe I got lucky and not much went down the vent.

You are welcome kat

Don't be that scare if the engine lit comes on,you can still go to moab & have fun (i'm so jealous) when you get back to home sweet home you can take care of it,but only if the engine lit pops up,if not then never mind
    Dakar was just the begining.

VX KAT--- When you finally get some 409 Cleaner, try this method-- take a clean paper towel and thoroughly soak the paper towel with 409 Cleaner and then "stick" the soaked paper towel over the gas stain and let is sit on the stain. The 409 Cleaner will need an extended amount of "time" to work its magic. Try to keep the now plastered paper towel in a continuous wet condition by "misting" more 409 Cleaner onto to stuck paper towel over the stain. It is critical that the gas stain remain soaked by "misting" with 409 Cleaner for about an hour. After about an hour of continuous soaking ("misting"), take another clean paper towel and soak it with 409 Cleaner and gently rub the stain while keeping the stain saturated with 409 Cleaner. Afterwards, clean the area with a mild liquid dish-soap and water. This process should do the trick. Remember, the 409 Cleaner is gonna' need about a hour of "soak-time" on the gas stain in order for it to work properly.

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    KAT - Try this - it may be far easier to find than Zainos.

Meguiar's Gold Class Endurance Tire Protectant (Natural Finish)
    http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G7410
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Unhappy

Did 3 hrs w/the 409 soak...no change. then did the 409 rub, and dish soap rub...no change unfortunately....what the heck do they put in that Chevron premium (with Techron)? I decided to go big and get a full tank of Chevron premium w/the Techron as I had a car in the past it made a very noticeable difference on, so I thought, what the heck, give the VX some high octane....see what I got for doin' that?

All I keep thinking of is that NASTY little VX gasmask took a pic of in the boneyard on 4/24 and the severe gas staining it had....makes me feel like such a bad parent now!

The only other thing I can think of is that their "dirty" windshield washing water had something in it that set the gas stain somehow. I rarely even see any bubbles when I use the dirty water for the windshield, so Dave and I discussed it for a minute before we did it and decided it probably didn't have much in it and it couldn't hurt....we may have been very wrong. Thanks Anita, I've packed a bottle of water behind the jack now. I usually have water with me to drink, but my bottle was empty at that moment....figures!

I think my only hope now is that the CarSystem Refinish Restore can kind of cover it up, certainly make it less noticeable.

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate all the help!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Did 3 hrs w/the 409 soak...no change. then did the 409 rub, and dish soap rub...no change unfortunately....what the heck do they put in that Chevron premium (with Techron)? I decided to go big and get a full tank of Chevron premium w/the Techron as I had a car in the past it made a very noticeable difference on, so I thought, what the heck, give the VX some high octane....see what I got for doin' that?

All I keep thinking of is that NASTY little VX gasmask took a pic of in the boneyard on 4/24 and the severe gas staining it had....makes me feel like such a bad parent now!

The only other thing I can think of is that their "dirty" windshield washing water had something in it that set the gas stain somehow. I rarely even see any bubbles when I use the dirty water for the windshield, so Dave and I discussed it for a minute before we did it and decided it probably didn't have much in it and it couldn't hurt....we may have been very wrong. Thanks Anita, I've packed a bottle of water behind the jack now. I usually have water with me to drink, but my bottle was empty at that moment....figures!

I think my only hope now is that the CarSystem Refinish Restore can kind of cover it up, certainly make it less noticeable.

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate all the help!
    Sorry to heard that the stain is not going away kat.

Concerning using high octane gas let me tell you is the best thing you can do for your toy,i use 93 at all times with a bottle of fuel injection cleaner every two weeks, i made a trip few weeks ago,i was completly amazed the mileage on a single tank ( 400+ miles ) driving at average speed of 65 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post
    Sorry to heard that the stain is not going away kat.

Concerning using high octane gas let me tell you is the best thing you can do for your toy,i use 93 at all times with a bottle of fuel injection cleaner every two weeks, i made a trip few weeks ago,i was completly amazed the mileage on a single tank ( 400+ miles ) driving at average speed of 65 mph.
    That's great to hear about the MPG as I set out for Moab tomorrow morning, about 480 miles.....I've been getting about 17.8 mpg with combo driving but heavier on the highway %, so I'll hope to see even better with full highway.....course I'll be going like 80 I bet!

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    That's great to hear about the MPG as I set out for Moab tomorrow morning, about 480 miles.....I've been getting about 17.8 mpg with combo driving but heavier on the highway %, so I'll hope to see even better with full highway.....course I'll be going like 80 I bet!
    Great kat,don't forget to use your cruise control for even better mileage

Gas Stain on cladding

I would highly recomend miracle orrange. It's $14.95 a bottle and it's great. go to miracleorrange.com (2r's)and get ya some. Look at the pictures of my VX,(on my profile ) I've only done it once since Sept., 08.
    So I said to myself, I said "Handee"
    and this voice came back and said..
    "He's not in, may we take a message?"

Here's a pic of the stain, even after pressure washing it....looks like a thumbprint in the bottom there.....

VXKAT/"Nasty Stain"

I am going to show this pic to the Doctor and see if he knows what caused the thumb print. I will see him Tues.

This is going to sound nuts, but......the Miracle Orrange didn't even phase the stain! Can you believe it!
    It did make the surrounding cladding a nice richer gray, a tad darker than the rest. I've left my cladding totally untreated with anything for over 2 months in preparation for going to Moab since every cladding product I currently have made dust stick like crazy.

Really makes me wonder if there's something in the Chevron Supreme gas that may be a bit different or something that caused this.

Oh well...last resort is CarSystem Refinish Restore.....