Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Front Diff Issue (Leak)

This is the very very very slow leak I have on mine and from what I understand it’s the same leak that Bart has as well, it’s been that way for over a year and my dif fluid level hasn’t changed at all. I’ll keep an eye on it, but for now I’m leaving it be.

Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak View Post
    This is the very very very slow leak I have on mine and from what I understand it’s the same leak that Bart has as well, it’s been that way for over a year and my dif fluid level hasn’t changed at all. I’ll keep an eye on it, but for now I’m leaving it be.

Not trying to call you a liar clearly, but from this one photo that liquid looks like it has a green tint to it and hence I would believe it is coolant not diff fluid, but the position of the wet spot is exactly where the front axle seal would leak from. Maybe it is just the flash that made it look like coolant

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    Not trying to call you a liar clearly, but from this one photo that liquid looks like it has a green tint to it and hence I would believe it is coolant not diff fluid, but the position of the wet spot is exactly where the front axle seal would leak from. Maybe it is just the flash that made it look like coolant
    Antifreeze was what I thought at first too, it doesn’t feel or smell like Antifreeze. I’ve had the fluid checked at each oil change and it’s not green. So who knows?
    I thought it mite be the glycerin from brake fluid that happened to collect some paint on the way down but I don’t see any brake fluid leaks either.

Yeah, that's weird. My leak is in the same spot, but it is definitely not greenish. The fluid that comes out is definitely diff fluid. It's almost clear with a very slight brown tint, and it is smell like diff fluid.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Yeah, that's weird. My leak is in the same spot, but it is definitely not greenish. The fluid that comes out is definitely diff fluid. It's almost clear with a very slight brown tint, and it is smell like diff fluid.

Bart
    And what a smell that stuff has!!!!! My house/garage has smelled like that for the last few weeks, I am taking my precious time with my current VX poroject.

Uh oh....

So it seems, I have something just like this...a leak or some kinda oozing of perhaps axle oil from two points on the diff on the passenger side below. I am pretty sure it's axle oil, nothing coming from above that I can see but this seems to be an oozing not a drip drip leak onto the floor. The round inner axle joint is covered in black oily stuff, I wiped it away a little as you can see (the driver's side joint has nothing like this on it). And the bottom of the diff casing has a little bit of black gunk coming from what looks like the seal..I guess.
    Can't understand how something like this could happen, the VX has only seen streets but prior to this I did have an odd occurrence of "loose" bolts on the passenger side control arm to the frame that had to be tightened. Don't know how that could've happened...out of nowhere had some weird brake noises on the front passenger side wheel, took it to an Isuzu service shop and they found the umm magically "loose" bolts.

Plus, a closer look while I was under there at the steering gear housing shaft shows a visible blackish substance making its way down...this didn't look normal as I would think the assembly would/should be sealed(?).

Quote Originally Posted by VX4EJR View Post
    So it seems, I have something just like this...a leak or some kinda oozing of perhaps axle oil from two points on the diff on the passenger side below. I am pretty sure it's axle oil, nothing coming from above that I can see but this seems to be an oozing not a drip drip leak onto the floor. The round inner axle joint is covered in black oily stuff, I wiped it away a little as you can see (the driver's side joint has nothing like this on it). And the bottom of the diff casing has a little bit of black gunk coming from what looks like the seal..I guess.
    Can't understand how something like this could happen, the VX has only seen streets but prior to this I did have an odd occurrence of "loose" bolts on the passenger side control arm to the frame that had to be tightened. Don't know how that could've happened...out of nowhere had some weird brake noises on the front passenger side wheel, took it to an Isuzu service shop and they found the umm magically "loose" bolts.

Plus, a closer look while I was under there at the steering gear housing shaft shows a visible blackish substance making its way down...this didn't look normal as I would think the assembly would/should be sealed(?).

I have the same trouble areas you have around the differential. My level in the differentialis always good though... I haven't noticed anything around the steering gear.

Btw I think u must have seen you a couple of times last year when I was house hunting in collegeville/phoenixville. Im just down the road from you if you ever want to compare vxs to see whats "normal" or need a hand with any repairs/maintenance

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

This issue has popped up again for me after about a year of no leaks at all.

I replaced the inner seal on that side and it seemed to fix it.

Cheap part, not the easiest replacement to do, and the amount it leaks right now is still nothing substantial. I think I am going to live with it.

J, so you replaced the inner seal and it STILL leaks? I have seals for both sides and I am planning on doing them this summer. Did you use a seal driver? Did you use OEM seals?

Bart

I actually have small leak in my drivers side axle seal. It happened after I had my CV issues on that side and the shop that did all of the work said that it was a little difficult to get the seal seated correctly so that may be the issue that you're having.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Only passenger side for me. It did NOT leak for about a year after I replaced the seal.

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Did you use a seal driver?
    Bart,

If you're talking about the seals on the axles, then no seal driver is needed. The diff drop installation instructions available cover it pretty good. I think I needed to use a piece of PVC pipe as a slide hammer for the bearings but they went on pretty easy too.

Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.