Thread: Front Diff Issue (Leak)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Front Diff Issue (Leak)

So I have had my diff dropped for about 3 months now and have not heard anything from it since.

I did get under there to change the oil and noticed that my diff is leaking. It looks like the gasket that seals the two side of the diff together is breaking apart and falling out of the center. The diff is leaking my royal purple at a slow drip.

Any advice on what to do other than the obivous take it somewhere and get it fixed? Is this something that could be handled with minimal tools in your garage? I would assume I could get a gasket from a parts store and take it apart and reseal it?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Shade Tree Mechanic type job fer sure.

It's messy though and sometimes those bolts can be a real beotch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

J, I think you are talking about the seep that happens around the axle seals. I have the same issue, as well as many others on here. Currently, it is the only leak I have and I would LOVE to get it fixed. However, its just a slow seep and to fix it would mean tearing apart my whole front axle, including my CVs which still have the original boots holding strong (knock on wood). So, I have opted to let it drip, and periodically check the level of my diff fluid up front.

Bart

Bart,

I think his leak is at the diff cover, not the axle seals. His is a 30 min repair, yours is 7 hours (minimum).

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Bart,

I think his leak is at the diff cover, not the axle seals. His is a 30 min repair, yours is 7 hours (minimum).

Tom
    Oh, well then, J, sound like you should fix it!!

Bart

Now I am a little lost of what you all may think my issue is. I will take a picture today/night and post it!

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    Now I am a little lost of what you all may think my issue is. I will take a picture today/night and post it!
    Well, no offense to Tom, but from the way you worded it, you have the seal leak like everyone else. But maybe Tom is right, I dunno. I just never heard of the diff covers leaking on our VXes. But several people have the seal leak. Basically, its where the axle housing is connected to a flange on either side. There is a seal that seeps in there. Both sides on my VX are all wet, but only one side drips.

EDIT: I just went back and re-read your original post. Maybe Tom is right. When you said "the gasket between the two sides" my brain immediately thought of the seals on the axle flanges. So Tom is more likely to be correct here. (Sorry, Tom!)

Bart

This issue has popped up again for me after about a year of no leaks at all.

I replaced the inner seal on that side and it seemed to fix it.

Cheap part, not the easiest replacement to do, and the amount it leaks right now is still nothing substantial. I think I am going to live with it.

J, so you replaced the inner seal and it STILL leaks? I have seals for both sides and I am planning on doing them this summer. Did you use a seal driver? Did you use OEM seals?

Bart

I actually have small leak in my drivers side axle seal. It happened after I had my CV issues on that side and the shop that did all of the work said that it was a little difficult to get the seal seated correctly so that may be the issue that you're having.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Did you use a seal driver?
    Bart,

If you're talking about the seals on the axles, then no seal driver is needed. The diff drop installation instructions available cover it pretty good. I think I needed to use a piece of PVC pipe as a slide hammer for the bearings but they went on pretty easy too.

Tom

Only passenger side for me. It did NOT leak for about a year after I replaced the seal.