Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Front Diff Issue (Leak)

Front Diff Issue (Leak)

So I have had my diff dropped for about 3 months now and have not heard anything from it since.

I did get under there to change the oil and noticed that my diff is leaking. It looks like the gasket that seals the two side of the diff together is breaking apart and falling out of the center. The diff is leaking my royal purple at a slow drip.

Any advice on what to do other than the obivous take it somewhere and get it fixed? Is this something that could be handled with minimal tools in your garage? I would assume I could get a gasket from a parts store and take it apart and reseal it?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Shade Tree Mechanic type job fer sure.

It's messy though and sometimes those bolts can be a real beotch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

J, I think you are talking about the seep that happens around the axle seals. I have the same issue, as well as many others on here. Currently, it is the only leak I have and I would LOVE to get it fixed. However, its just a slow seep and to fix it would mean tearing apart my whole front axle, including my CVs which still have the original boots holding strong (knock on wood). So, I have opted to let it drip, and periodically check the level of my diff fluid up front.

Bart

Bart,

I think his leak is at the diff cover, not the axle seals. His is a 30 min repair, yours is 7 hours (minimum).

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Bart,

I think his leak is at the diff cover, not the axle seals. His is a 30 min repair, yours is 7 hours (minimum).

Tom
    Oh, well then, J, sound like you should fix it!!

Bart

Now I am a little lost of what you all may think my issue is. I will take a picture today/night and post it!

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    Now I am a little lost of what you all may think my issue is. I will take a picture today/night and post it!
    Well, no offense to Tom, but from the way you worded it, you have the seal leak like everyone else. But maybe Tom is right, I dunno. I just never heard of the diff covers leaking on our VXes. But several people have the seal leak. Basically, its where the axle housing is connected to a flange on either side. There is a seal that seeps in there. Both sides on my VX are all wet, but only one side drips.

EDIT: I just went back and re-read your original post. Maybe Tom is right. When you said "the gasket between the two sides" my brain immediately thought of the seals on the axle flanges. So Tom is more likely to be correct here. (Sorry, Tom!)

Bart

"So Tom is more likely to be correct here. (Sorry, Tom!)"

No worry. I put it on the calendar so no one would ever forget that Tom was RIGHT, Bart was WRONG! It was bound to happen sooner or later.

You were right in that I don't recall anyone here ever mentioning that their diff cover was leaking. Several have noted that their axle seals leak though.

We'll just have to wait for the pix.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    No worry. I put it on the calendar so no one would ever forget that Tom was RIGHT, Bart was WRONG! It was bound to happen sooner or later.
    Hey man, don't give me that much credit! I'm probably wrong more than I am right!

Bart

Hey Bart do you happen to have a picture of your issue? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    Hey Bart do you happen to have a picture of your issue? Thanks.
    Hmmm, not that I can think of off hand....

Bart

Bart's issue is out towards the CV cups (the green things) that are connected to the CV which connect to the wheels. Basically Bart's seal that is giving him problems is between the CV cups, Diff brackets and axle housing, way out towards the wheels. From the way you worded it, it really sounded like it was coming from the Diff 3rd member area (big round bulge in the axle housing). If this is the case you need to disconnect the drive shaft and take all of the bolts off that connect the 3rd member to the axle housing, and hope and pray you can slide it out without disconnecting everything else (CV boots, Steering link, Diff brackets, shocks, cross member). My axle shaft would not fall completely free off the flange on the 3rd member, if this is the case for you, you would need to take all that stuff off more than likely. Regardless it is going to take some time. If it is silicone around the seal it is the 3rd member axle housing leak, if it is more of a bracket closer to the wheels and you can see no "gasket" it is the front axle seals like Bart. If you or whoever did your diff drop had to disconnect your 3rd member for some odd reason they should have resealed it with silicone sealer and not torqued the bolts so hard that all the silicone squirted out. But if it is the axle seals you simply need to take all of that stuff completely off and install a new seal.

Last edited by LittleBeast : 05/13/2009 at 06:00 PM Reason: added photo

Thanks for the picture. I used to have the issue Bart had then I replaced the seal in my driver's side. There is a small retainer spring that is in those seals and mine was shot and this is what caused my leak. I am sure it is the same for everyone else too.

After looking more at my issue. I may have a combo. I mean it is wet down there. Its my passenger side. So its the side where the pumpkin is right there connecting to the "green cups" and diff bracket. Or the lower right side portion of the picture above.

The gasket pretty much where you circled is falling off. Looks like it is rotting away. From your post I am not 100% certain that this will be a quick in driveway job now. Are you saying to just grab some silcone in the meantime and run it along that line?

Do you think some silcone will do the trick for now?

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    J - I wish I could answer your question but I am dizzy from all those circles. Generally though, gasket maker doesn't work at the outside of the seam and it has to be squished inside the seam to work. I think adding silicone/more gasket maker without separating the two pieces of the housing would just send the leak to another spot until that silicone falls off.
    Agreed but it is a quick easy try to patch it up for now but highly unlikely to actuality fix the problem. Sorry for the slow reply we have our conference track meet this weekend and I was at the track for 15 hours straight today and 13 hours straight yesterday however after the meet yesterday a girl I know here in Houston had 3 extra tickets to the Lackers Rockets game so I invited some of my buddies it was awesome best game I have ever been to. We sat just behind David Stern and Jeff Bagwell!!!!!