Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OK I Just Had To Buy One (How Do I Put A Baby Seat In The Back)

OK I Just Had To Buy One (How Do I Put A Baby Seat In The Back)

I drove one when they first came out and I have loved the look since. I just bought a 2001 Green Dragon and it looks great. Now my wife hasn’t seen it yet but I told her the car seat would fit in the back and now that I’m looking at it I don’t see how it will. Can someone please tell me the steps to squeezing the baby seat back there?????

I still think its one of the best looking things out there.

Thanks Guys.
    ~LOCO~

Can't help with the carseat thing, I think I heard you load it from the back? But congrats on your badass vehicle! You might want to invest in Tones rear door popper if this is the case.

Cool babies don't belong in a VehiCROSS

i have had to tote my baby nephew around a couple of times, and there is one good, not great, not easy way to do it. figure out whichever side you want the seat on, i suspect passenger side, and flip down the half of the back seat on the opposite side. slide it over the flipped down seat, and slide it over. now buckling it in isn't easy, and hopefully you have more than one car seat and you don't have to take it out too often. good luck and enjoy the ride

its easy!
    i had to pick-up my daughter and her friend from camp the other day and i had 2 child seats in the car.

i prefer the load and flip method and the kids love it!
    you open the rear door and recline the seat back. (i put a towel on the seat to protect it)
    put the car seat in (laying back.) pick up the kids and throw (place) them in the seat on their back facing up.
    buckle the seat belt (w/o pulling it out all the way)
    then flip up the seat (kids favorite part)
    then while still behind, pull the seatbelt out all the way and release. (this will allow you to "snug-up" the belt and tighten into position)

my daughter is five so she can unbuckle herself and climb out on her own.

bottom line...it's a pain in the *** but worth it!

Thanks for the replies guy's. Im going out to try to install the seat from the back now. Thanks for the info.

Oh and the wife loves it so far but we will see what she has to say while we are trying to install the baby seat.

Well good luck with the wife Hope you stop by here often for any problems/upgrades you want to do to your VX!

Originally posted by itsaysjack
    its easy!
    i had to pick-up my daughter and her friend from camp the other day and i had 2 child seats in the car.

i prefer the load and flip method and the kids love it!
    you open the rear door and recline the seat back. (i put a towel on the seat to protect it)
    put the car seat in (laying back.) pick up the kids and throw (place) them in the seat on their back facing up.
    buckle the seat belt (w/o pulling it out all the way)
    then flip up the seat (kids favorite part)
    then while still behind, pull the seatbelt out all the way and release. (this will allow you to "snug-up" the belt and tighten into position)

my daughter is five so she can unbuckle herself and climb out on her own.

bottom line...it's a pain in the *** but worth it!

ROFL!! How fun! I'm imagining this kid lying there looking up and ...FLIP! LOL!
    RichD
    ------------------------------------------------
    ...because vinyl just sounds better!

Well as far as placing the seat in the VX the back door is the only way if you are going to carry the seat in and out. I was able to place the seat in its cradle by folding one side (Drivers) down and then just popping it in the cradle. This will be ok for me but my wife will have a hard time with this I think. I must say it will be a challenge but I still love it so far. I just need to perfect the car seat thing and get one of those rear cameras. I will try the load and flip idea tomorrow (sounds funny). Thanks for all the help. My wife gives it a thumb up so far. My little one is only 9 1/2 months so it’s defiantly hard to pull the seat in and out but I will learn to deal with it some how. Once I get it all broken in Ill make some changes to suit my taste.

Thanks guys for the input and please keep them coming if someone has a better idea.

a few more little things...
    take the head rests off
    if you leave the unoccupied seat reclined flat it will give you more room for buckling the seat belt and reaching in if necessary.
    good luck
    stan

Do you think its best to recline the seat that Im not going to use or is it better to fold it forward?

Thanks guys for the input. This is a great site.

Ok, I haven't tried this, but here's another possibility.
    I have the seat brackets that Allan produced at some point (don't know if he still does). When the brackets are installed you loose some legroom for your front passenger, but it gives you a lot more room for getting into the back seat when you move the seat forward and fold it. I did it, so it's easier for people to get into the back, but I'm thinking that it might make it possible to put the car seat from the front as well since you have a lot more room this way.
    Search here and on club.vmag.com for 'seat brackets' to find more info if interested.
    I also have pictures on my site of the brackets install process and final results:
    http://www.yavno.info/gallery/VXFron...racketsInstall

PS just remembered that I gave a ride to my 2 year old niece a few months ago. Don't remember how easy it was to put the car seat in the back, but we definitely used the passenger door for that (yes, that's with the brackets installed).
    Last edited by edyavno : 07/25/2003 at 07:40 AM
    2001 Kaiser "The Silver Shadow" VX #841

Thumbs up

I can help. I have a 6 week old and a 2- year old so I currently have a bucket-base (for travel system) and a car seat in my VX. Are you using a car seat or travel system base? is it going to be front or rear facing? (state laws differ)

I will be using a rear facing car travel system (I think... I have a seat that snaps into a base).

Let me know your opinion

I am also checking out the seat brackets to see what the deal is with those. Sounds right up my alley.

Thanks guys

Smile

For rear facing the best way thru the back. BASE INSTALLATION: Removing the headrest helps much just store them somewhere for now. Fold both seats towards the rear when installing. For tightening (it is tricky but I recommend a "mighty tight" $16 walmart) you will need one bath towel. Roll up the bath towel under the seat or base (towards rear) to level it. Tighten the seat belt as much as possible. You will notice that the seat (BASE) might not seem really tight with the seat back down but when you put the seat back up it pushes the child seat slightly forward and tightens it. If you have a infant carrier bucket I recommend installing it on the passenger side the carrier handle fits better when flipped down (recomended for safety). USAGE: To place the carrier into the VX open rear door (never have car running exhaust will enter car), Flip seat towards you and place carrier on base and make sure it locks in. Slide carrier handle forward (may need to kneel into VX), flip seat up. To remove carrier I have done it three ways: 1- open rear door flip both seats down crawl into car, pull base release and lift carrier out of base. You can leave the seats this way if the headrests are off otherwise you have to put the seats back up to close door. 2- from passengers side (outside of car) slide seat forward squeeze in and pull release and lift carrier out of base place carrier on drivers side seat slide passenger seat back take carrier out of car (you can install seat this way (reversing steps) it is just more difficult).

Good how to on seat install TYGVR. I'm going to try all you have listed and see what works the best for me and the wife. Have you tried to leave the seat in the base and just remove the child? Or are there to many obstacles that would cause harm.

Thanks, now I don't feel to bad knowing at least that I have a few options.