Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TV with just internet??

TV with just internet??

Does anyone know how much stuff thats on cable is available on line? We have been hit hard in the wallet and probly should cancel cable. I cant live without internet though. I wonder how much is actually available online for TV shows.

I am a hooker for certain shows and especially Ultimate Fighter. I dont know why, they seem to be scraping the bottom of the barrel lately but oh well.

How much do any of you use the internet for TV?

I know the fact is, I should get off me rump and do something.... but i am lazy....

Since being laid off last year and returning to school in July our DirecTV was one of the first luxuries to be cut. There's a great deal of television available online, not to mention you can get NetFlix for $8.99 a month and most shows are now available on DVD through them. Since the advent of the DVR we stopped watching stuff on anything except our own schedule, so don't really care about "latest and greatest" but just about entertainment at our convenience. The best part of shutting off TV is really just going without.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

I canceled my Cable 2 months ago and haven't looked back... Every show you could ever want is available on Pirate bay. You have to wait a day after it airs generally, but it's better than the $100 it would cost you for cable.

Quote Originally Posted by taylorRichie View Post
    I canceled my Cable 2 months ago and haven't looked back... Every show you could ever want is available on Pirate bay. You have to wait a day after it airs generally, but it's better than the $100 it would cost you for cable.
    I thought they cracked down on Pirate bay??? People going to jail and what not?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black View Post
    Since being laid off last year and returning to school in July our DirecTV was one of the first luxuries to be cut. There's a great deal of television available online, not to mention you can get NetFlix for $8.99 a month and most shows are now available on DVD through them. Since the advent of the DVR we stopped watching stuff on anything except our own schedule, so don't really care about "latest and greatest" but just about entertainment at our convenience. The best part of shutting off TV is really just going without.
    I know Bart used to things this way and liked it. I need to get unplugged I think.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn View Post
    I know Bart used to things this way and liked it. I need to get unplugged I think.
    Clint...

DO IT! I've been broadcast television free for over a year, & it's one of the best decisions I've ever made.
    I still rely heavily on the trusty PS3 & a lot of dvd rentals & "used" purchaces, but don't miss the rotting garbage coming through the flat panel AT ALL !

Besides, you can always go back...

How much do any of you use the internet for TV?
    I got one of those Roku Netflix boxes, and I think it is the best $100 I've spent in a LONG time.

One question, though: How do you get your internet? Here in Comcast country, if you use a cable modem but DON'T subscribe to TV, they charge you an extra $12 a month or some BS like that... Their most basic cable package is only $15, so it almost makes sense to do it that way.

On the other hand, the slowest DSL is just a little bit too slow to use with the Roku box. It works, but you get their most-compressed video, which is nearly unwatchable.

Feed the Aliens?

Has anyone heard of Hulu.com? The aliens have arranged for hundreds of TV programs to be streamed online for free so that we can turn our brains into slimy goo that they can then suck out and consume. Don't believe me? Ask Alec Baldwin. He's an alien.

Harharhar
    Return evil for evil to no one...as far as it depends upon YOU, be peaceable with all men. Romans 12:17, 18

We are using cable for internet. It will cut our bill in half basically to go to just internet. It's not a huge savings but anything will help right now. My parents have DSL and it SUCKS.

I had only internet and then the cable company came back with a deal that was basic cable plus internet and it came out $4 cheaper per month. I pay $2/month for the cable modem and have lost 4 in during the 6 years I've owned this house (lightening and other mishaps) - every time they replace it I get the latest technology.

I use a Series 3 HD Tivo to record programs and it's integrated with Netflix (about 40k titles availble for streaming). The realitiy is that most programming is available somewhere online. I have several friends that run Windows Media Center and forgo all TV except what they get via high speed access.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Yup, Linda and I didn't have cable until we moved into our current house (less than 2 years ago).

So from the time I moved out of my parent's place to basically now, I have never had cable TV. IMO, cable TV is an ENORMOUS waste of money. I mean seriously, who watches The Real Housewives of NJ, Tori & Dean, Bromance and all the other HORRID crap? I like VERY little that's on cable TV, and most of it comes out on DVD or is online anyhow.

I have to say the only shows on TV that I whole heartedly enjoy are Bizarre Foods and Dirty Jobs. I do need to check out that new show called Weaponizers on Discovery. Looks right up my alley.

Bart

No you're fine to torrent...

The piratebay lost their trial but they aren't shutting down. They're appealing and it'll be around for many years to come... cut of a snake's head 5 more will pop out.

Users of pirate bay or torrent sites have nothing to worry about. We're not a target...

And it's getting better everyday... I downloaded wednesday's Ultimate Fighter in 4 minutes.

Nice!!!

torrents are my best friends =P

i use isohunt(think google, but for torrents only), you can find almost every tv show you can think of there. plus they have an https:// version of the site, so you are pretty secured. also, vuse is a great app to compliment your torrents not to mention a lot of pay to download and even free content to watch...

several years ago, i remember there was this buz of IPTV... but i dont hear to much about it these days...

lastly, ive seen this Roku Digital Video Player. my bro and i are thinking about goin halfsy on one...
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

Quote Originally Posted by Knigh7s View Post
    torrents are my best friends =P

i use isohunt(think google, but for torrents only), you can find almost every tv show you can think of there. plus they have an https:// version of the site, so you are pretty secured. also, vuse is a great app to compliment your torrents not to mention a lot of pay to download and even free content to watch...

several years ago, i remember there was this buz of IPTV... but i dont hear to much about it these days...

lastly, ive seen this Roku Digital Video Player. my bro and i are thinking about goin halfsy on one...

I use Isohunt right now too.

Quote Originally Posted by mdwyer View Post
    I got one of those Roku Netflix boxes, and I think it is the best $100 I've spent in a LONG time.

One question, though: How do you get your internet? Here in Comcast country, if you use a cable modem but DON'T subscribe to TV, they charge you an extra $12 a month or some BS like that... Their most basic cable package is only $15, so it almost makes sense to do it that way.

On the other hand, the slowest DSL is just a little bit too slow to use with the Roku box. It works, but you get their most-compressed video, which is nearly unwatchable.
    I've been without cable TV since 2000 (nine years) and have been fine with analog broadcast TV. However the digital broadcast antennas are in a different location and my rabbit ears are not good enough any more. I would put up an external antenna but I rent and don't want to hassle with it.

I do have a quite the movie and TV DVD collection though. The way I figure it, I spend the money that I would have spent for cable on DVDs and at the end of the month I have something to show for my money.

Cable and satellite both encrypt DVRs and prevent off loading content to other formats. Also DVRs have expiration dates that will erase your content at the content provider's choice.

Also for those of you, like me, that use your DVD-R as a VCR to record shows while you are away from home. My friend informed me last week that Comcast is now using security settings available with the digital signal to prevent you from recording your favorite shows.

So if they are going to make it expensive for me to watch TV, bombard me with adverting while watching TV, and not let me watch my TV shows when I want to watch them, why would I pay for cable/satellite?

Buy it on DVD, watch it when and where you want to watch it, commercial free. And you own it!