Thread: Fan Clutch

Fan Clutch

My fan clutch is out, revs real high to the point it sounds like I'm in a windtunnel when I reach 3,500 rpms, loss of power, and a little shake. I am trying to remove the 4 nuts attaching the fan but the pulley turns as I try to wrench on it. I had a friend try to hold the belt tight but that didn't work.

Any inventive ideas for isolating the pully that attaches the fan clutch? I think I just need a LONG pry bar to get in there between the studs (possibly long enough to hit the ground?). Wedge pry bar between 2 of the studs with nuts and center of fan clutch assembly, and then place one end of the pry bar on the ground. I'm guessing thats how ya do it, just crack them loose one at a time using the pry bar to isolate, leave the nuts on there so I don't strip the threads on the studs.

Am I on the right track, or is there a better way?
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

i left the belt on, and used a 10mm (i think) box end wrench with a small pipe on the end of it, then used a rubber mallet to hit the end of it, that basically replicates an impact wrench

Be sure to read this before putting it back on-

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    i left the belt on, and used a 10mm (i think) box end wrench with a small pipe on the end of it, then used a rubber mallet to hit the end of it, that basically replicates an impact wrench
    I used a large box end and wedged it in the fan to minimize rotation, then I hit the 10mm wrench with a mallet, same concept, it was a PITA, and resulted in a little bleeding from rubbing against the radiator.
    I didn't do the balancing thing, nor did mine look like the mount in the picture? No problems, mine sounds like a semi now, and no cooling problems.
    Have fun...

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

hmm mine wobbles like theres no tomorrow it doesnt make any noise or anything though so i figured it was just a fan blade being a bit bent since i took it from a wrecked vx.. maybe its not balanced properly, ill have to look into that today.. class was canceled

Alright I figured out how to isolate it, just needed a better/thicker pry bar than the screw driver I had at the time. Didn't see any marks on my new to me/used fan when I was installing it, the entire mounting area was blue But everything seems to be working fine, no longer sounds like a semi and fan is spinning a LOT more freely than it was.

Thanks for the responses but I felt like a moron for asking once I saw how easy it was with a larger 1'-6" SQUARE prybar. :embarrass Just stick it under one of the mounting bolts and wedge against the center of fan then crack one at a time and once they were cracked they were easily taken off.
    Last edited by AlaskaVX : 05/21/2009 at 12:24 PM

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    hmm mine wobbles like theres no tomorrow it doesnt make any noise or anything though so i figured it was just a fan blade being a bit bent since i took it from a wrecked vx.. maybe its not balanced properly, ill have to look into that today.. class was canceled

I am guessing yours is starting to go out then, I saw mine had some movement so I got a new one from a local junkyard was too lazy to install since it seemed to be working fine, then 3 months later (2 days ago) it started sounding like a semi in the upper rpm range. The new fan is tight with no wobble at all, and after I put the fan shroud back on the semi/windtunnel noise is definately gone.