Thread: My hood insert is cracked in two places!

Angry My hood insert is cracked in two places!

I just noticed that my insert is cracked in two places, one in the upper middle, and the other at the top of the drivers side. Now I know of the replacment CF ones, but there a bit pricey, if there still even being made. If they are, im not sure im ready to throw my money that direction. Is there any stock replacements avalible in the U.S.?? My plan is to take it to my buddys house, and sand it down the put a strip of Carbon Fiber that only covers the two cracks, then putting bondo like substance (NOT BONDO) and then sanding that back into the surface then just painting it black. Would that stop the cracks from "growing"?? Would the paint come out all one color, or would it fade in some areas? Advice, and any input is much appreciated!!!
    MODIFICATIONS:
    285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Steel braided brake calbes, K&N Air Filter, Window Tinting, Debadged, 3 inch lift, Custom boulder bars, Yakima Roof Rack w/ Iron Hoarse Cage, Pioneer DEH-P6000UB deck, and more to come (once the funds do).

I would give Merlin at St. Charles Isuzu a call. I think a couple of people have bought hood inserts from him recently and there should be a few left. I think they are in the $300+ range so they are a little pricey too.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    I would give Merlin at St. Charles Isuzu a call. I think a couple of people have bought hood inserts from him recently and there should be a few left. I think they are in the $300+ range so they are a little pricey too.
    In January when I needed one for the insurance claim, Merlin said that there was one in the supply system which I got, not saying the stock level hasn't changed. I actually have two OEM's now. My original which is perfect except 8 years old, the new one (insurance claim) that I will use as a plug when I get off my backside and figure out vacuum bagging so I can start producing the faux carbon fiber ones, and of course my carbon fiber one. The cracked ones actually are easy to repair if you want to take the time and repair and refinish it.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    In January when I needed one for the insurance claim, Merlin said that there was one in the supply system which I got, not saying the stock level hasn't changed. I actually have two OEM's now. My original which is perfect except 8 years old, the new one (insurance claim) that I will use as a plug when I get off my backside and figure out vacuum bagging so I can start producing the faux carbon fiber ones, and of course my carbon fiber one. The cracked ones actually are easy to repair if you want to take the time and repair and refinish it.
    What John said...

SAND...PREP...PAINT...(add various doo-dads to taste)...

Good day,

I am new to the forum but can contribute to this. The factory insert is fiberglass cover in gel coat just like modern ski boats. i have 10-15 BB to pencil eraser chips in mine through the gel coat. I called a friend who has been in the boat industry for 20 years and brought it to him. He matched the OE color that was mint under the nozzles. Stripped it down and re did it. Looks as new

I don't have a price to give as he did for me for a few beers.

My .02

Shane

98. Blazed Peacock Mica, 1504 SOLD VxLess Now :O
    looks real good^^

someone on here cant remember the name. in the gallery has a pic of there hood insert repainted with bumper black then waxed over . it looks real good.

I tryed some of the mothers back to black that i use on the cladding tho,doesnt seem to work very well on the insert

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprey View Post
    looks real good^^

someone on here cant remember the name. in the gallery has a pic of there hood insert repainted with bumper black then waxed over . it looks real good.

I tryed some of the mothers back to black that i use on the cladding tho,doesnt seem to work very well on the insert

Rickshaw's insert looked great when we had our Los Angeles meet. He swears by Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Liquid Cleaner Wax. I will be buying some and will see how it works on my insert.
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

98. Blazed Peacock Mica, 1504 SOLD VxLess Now :O
    Cool Anita. might pop out to the shops and see what i can find