Thread: trimming cladding

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

trimming cladding

I have read that several members have trimmed the cladding on the front to help with larger tires. The thought of cutting the cladding doesn't make me feel well but I gotta get bigger tires....if nothing else, for a more stocky look. Can someone tell me where the cladding is actually cut. Is it visible when looking at the vehicle. And as thick as the cladding is what was used to cut it.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    mmmmmm-hmmmmm...

That pic isn't mine, but is of the R-F wheel well.

I work so much better with pictures. That don't look too bad. I wonder what tool would cut through that without cutting my arm off.

Available at Harbor Freight...

Dougie, depending on how big you go with your tires, and if you lift or not, you may end up cutting off even less of the cladding than is shown in the picture. When I was stock height and installed the Terra Grappler 285/60/18's I had to trim off just a tiny corner of the cladding, and that corner was just the tip of the cladding that sticks into the front of the wheel well. I didn't have to cut anywhere near the exterior lip of the cladding so unless I'm parked right next to an unaltered VX AND you stick your head into the wheel well and look at the front corner of the wheel well you would never know anything was removed. I ended up using a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel to trim the cladding then used some sand paper to smooth everything out for a factory look.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

That picture Ldub sent looked like it would work but I didn't see the electrical cord. I think I got it not. I read where guys were cutting cladding and beating sheet metel so I got worried.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Available at Harbor Freight...

LDUB are you serious ? This is nuts
    Man you make me laugh so much I was close to piss my self hahahahaha
    That machete looks like the ones my grandpa used to open the coconuts at the beach to make some tasty pina colada
    I can just imagine dougie with this machete trimming the cladding
    Dakar was just the begining.

Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post
    LDUB are you serious ? This is nuts
    Man you make me laugh so much I was close to piss my self hahahahaha
    That machete looks like the ones my grandpa used to open the coconuts at the beach to make some tasty pina colada
    I can just imagine dougie with this machete trimming the cladding
    If you go on the Harbor Freight website, & find that particular instrument of certain destruction, you'll find that it's a Japan saw, which makes a straight, relatively smooth, cut.

They cut on the "pull" stroke, so they take a little getting used to...

Although I can definitely see the humor in trimming the cladding with a machete......

I didn't trim the front of my cladding at all, but rather behind the wheel. I used a craftsman razor blade pocket knife. You could probably use a pocket knife. I then took a 3lb sledge and banged in the body seams that were still in the way, I had to use an cutting wheel to modify my sliders as well. No problem...I had never done this either so don't worry, it can be done. Now I am making skid plates and soon starting a bumper. It is very addictive. From this:

To this:

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Dougie, it is plastic, you can trim it with anything, even your pocket knife, If you stick with the stock wheel, i.e.; 38mm positive offset, use the photo Ldub provide. IF you go with a different wheel, well, then things change. There is the problem of 'crowning' with a 285 on a 7 inch wheel.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.