Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: trimming cladding

98. Blazed Peacock Mica, 1504 SOLD VxLess Now :O
    I used a airhacksaw thing to trim the front of the cladding. Had to do it at the mechanics so i could get home :O

Tho on the way home the rear of the wheel was rubbing so trimmed that to.
    Used a hacksaw and cut some of the plastic.

Wheels are 265/75/16 0 offset And ome912 rear springs, front tbar crank with a bj flip

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    I can't imagine getting enough leverage with a hand tool to do it, unless you remove the front bumper cladding.
    Bart
    When tool sharp Grasshopper, you need no leverage...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    If you go on the Harbor Freight website, & find that particular instrument of certain destruction, you'll find that it's a Japan saw, which makes a straight, relatively smooth, cut.

They cut on the "pull" stroke, so they take a little getting used to...

Although I can definitely see the humor in trimming the cladding with a machete......
    Ldub is right these japan saw's are extremely sharp and will cut anything, wood, plastic, cheese, rib eye steak! probably your plate too.
    Back To The Primitive!

Any other trimming needed on cladding?

I took the plunge today and ordered my 285/60-18 rubber.....so that means my cladding will need to have some trimming when I get them installed.

I've read several posts that mention a "triangle" shape cut out from the front of the front wheel well and then I saw the great pic Ldub attached above. Going to print that and take it to the install shop for their reference so they can do it.

Question: Hopefully wont have to be doing the BFH routine to any metal in there, is there any other cladding areas that need trimmed? (No lift, just the bigger tires above). Don't want any surprises if possible.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    I took the plunge today and ordered my 285/60-18 rubber.....so that means my cladding will need to have some trimming when I get them installed.

I've read several posts that mention a "triangle" shape cut out from the front of the front wheel well and then I saw the great pic Ldub attached above. Going to print that and take it to the install shop for their reference so they can do it.

Question: Hopefully wont have to be doing the BFH routine to any metal in there, is there any other cladding areas that need trimmed? (No lift, just the bigger tires above). Don't want any surprises if possible.
    I can't take credit for the pic...just wish I could remember who to give photo cred to...
    I horked it from another members gallery...

As long as you're mounting the new skinz on stock rims, you should be OK...but there are never any iron clad guarantees against "no surprises"...

Can't wait to see the pics...:_drool:

Kat (Sue), with the tires that you are describing you should only have to trim the point off of the front cladding which is a MUCH smaller piece from what is shown in the picture Dub posted.

If you stand next to the front tire (let's use the drivers side as an example) and look right in front of the tire you will see that the cladding comes to a point. This point is at the very bottom of the cladding at the front of the wheel well. The only thing you really need to do with the 285/60/18's is knock that point off. I turned my wheels until they hit that point to give me a reference on where to start cutting. I HATE to maul my baby so I cut very little off to begin with and then kept sanding and sanding until I had just cleared the tire.

If you went with the Nitto Terra Grapplers that should be all you need to trim. I was stock height with the TG's for my first three Moab's and never had a rubbing problem. Moncha had the TG's and was stock height this year and I don't believe that he had any problems either.

You're going to LOVE your new tires.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

I went with the Cooper Zeon LTZ, it's a new tire and looks very similar to the TGs and the Toyo Open Country A/T, a bit more aggressive than the O/C. RiffRaff pointed them out to me. Weigh 49 lbs (just a tad less than the O/Cs, and about 3+ lbs less than TGs)

They're hard to find, had to order them and will take almost 10 days. These tires come with a 50,000 mile warranty too, which is almost unheard of I thought on tires like this. They're UTQC rating is 520 so they're going to last a lot longer than all the ultra high performance tires I'm used to putting on my cars (in the past).

This economy is really different.....negotiated with local tire shop against the PepBoys "buy3 get 4th free offer".....PepBoys was $161/tire +m/b + tax. Got the tire shop to include a free alignment (when needed on VX or FJ), free rotating and balancing for 10 times, "membership" in their tire club, free flat fixing (plugs), all for $720 out the door (including AZ sales tax).....plus they're local so I don't have to drive to Phoenix Pep Boys 90 miles for anything. They're also going to take my old tires on consignment. I also have them listed on Craigslist.

I LOVE to negotiate on all "car" things, I love torturing car sales people the most though! They assume I'm just an innocent damsel in distress and don't know a thing about tires or cars....ha ha ha...are they wrong!

Will let you know how they fit and post pics too.
    These pics aren't in my size just some "real" pics I found online that gave better perspective on tires since I can't find them anywhere in any size to see in person.

ah, one question....why didn't I get these BEFORE Moab????

Sue,
    Which wheels are you going to put them on? How did the putty hold up on the chipped wheel?
    Those tires look sweet, leave it to Riffraff to find some unique hidden tire out there...

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

OEMs, not getting new wheels right now ($$).

The MightyPutty held onto the rim most of the day on Wed. I tried to take any rocks on the left so that right front wouldn't be as stressed, especially air downed like it was to 18 psi. Those lip edges were sharp! It finally fell off shortly before we finished Hell's Revenge, but THANK YOU for thinking that up, I'm sure it helped the sidewall not get sliced wide open.

That big missing lip chunk was just too severe for me so I met up with "circmand" on Sunday in some podunk little town in Northern AZ and bought one of his used 18" OEM rims. Now the chipped lip rim will be retired to the shed (and one day maybe used as a full size spare). I'm thinking I may buy another OEM rim from circmand in a while. His remaining ones had road rash on the rim, but still would be a great backup.

Get those OEM's powdercoated (or painted) flat black and they will look sweet!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Sue,
    Which wheels are you going to put them on? How did the putty hold up on the chipped wheel?
    Those tires look sweet, leave it to Riffraff to find some unique hidden tire out there...
    Not bad for a lazy officer as you once said
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Get those OEM's powdercoated (or painted) flat black and they will look sweet!
    Yes Billy, with that Foxfire Red Mica, you might be right. Damn that was a sweet ride Sue had. My second choice, tide with the Proton, but I love my Dragon. Just have to rub out that Cowboy pinstrip I got at Moab on my new paint job.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Now the chipped lip rim will be retired to the shed (and one day maybe used as a full size spare). .
    Chipped rims also make a real nice place to store your garden hose...

Just bolt it to the wall of the shed, & voila!

Dougie, it is plastic, you can trim it with anything, even your pocket knife, If you stick with the stock wheel, i.e.; 38mm positive offset, use the photo Ldub provide. IF you go with a different wheel, well, then things change. There is the problem of 'crowning' with a 285 on a 7 inch wheel.

Let's see, you might be a redneck if....

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Chipped rims also make a real nice place to store your garden hose...

Just bolt it to the wall of the shed, & voila!