Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Body Lift?

From what ezem1y and I discussed his body lift went on fine and was very good.

So, does anyone know if the gas tank does need to be adjusted? Sounds like it does but I don't know if that's only for a 3" lift. If I'm only doing a 1" lift, does it still need to be adjusted?

What will a body lift do to my 'Tone' receiver hitch. Is it going to leave a 1" gap where I cut the cladding?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    So, does anyone know if the gas tank does need to be adjusted? Sounds like it does but I don't know if that's only for a 3" lift. If I'm only doing a 1" lift, does it still need to be adjusted?

What will a body lift do to my 'Tone' receiver hitch. Is it going to leave a 1" gap where I cut the cladding?
    The only body lift I have ever dealt with was on my old wrangler. I had to watch out for the filler neck I think but not the tank itself. Also the linkage stretched from the column to the gearbox.... it was about 12-12 years ago so cant really remember it all.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Question But what about

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    From what ezem1y and I discussed his body lift went on fine and was very good.
    Did he elaborate on any of the points mentioned below?

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post

Yep, if the body goes up & the hitch is mounted to the frame...a gap is inevitable.

These, & other questions I would like answers to...

Steering linkage?
    Transfer case shifter?
    Transmission shifter?
    Brake lines?
    Any other frame mounted wires/hoses?
    Radiator mount?

Brake lines?
    Brake lines shouldn't be affected. They do not mount to the body at any point.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

"Brake lines shouldn't be affected. They do not mount to the body at any point."

They attach to the master cylendar which is mounted to the firewall.

OK everyone, sit down and hold on tight for this one ... I agree with Zeus.

The diff drop does NOT decrease your ground clearance at all. The associated crossmember drop does but I'd personally rather take a hit on the crossmember than just about anything else under there.

The loss in ground clearance is probably much more pronounced on mine than anyone elses since I have the Calmini crossmember. Someday I'll modify it to get back some of the ground clearance - it's just not high on my priority list. Let's just say it'll be done before I get to Moab

Actually I've been thinking that rather than raising the crossmember back to a more protected area, the better approach would be to fab a small skid plate to it so that if it gets hit, it'll just lift me over the obstacle without damage (other than abrasions).

Quote Originally Posted by crotchrocket View Post
    Winding the front up and dropping the diff to cope is definately an aesthetic thing and not an off roading mod
    Going to have to disagree here buddie. I just finished my 4.78 gear swap and did the diff drop at the same time, and it did not diminish the off road capabilities, if anything it has improved them, because the angle of the CV upon down flex is much less severe and will break less easily, and it does not decrease your ground clearance, it really just protects your oil pan and other things from being the 1st things hit. Diff drops are not an aesthetic mod, but a reliability mod, both off and on road

This must be the strangest day in history. tom4bren agrees with both Zeus AND LittleBeast. What's next ... etlsport won't have a pic of some mod already in his archive???