Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Changing from 2wd to TOD 'on the fly'?

Changing from 2wd to TOD 'on the fly'?

Silly question number 2....

Can you change from 2wd to TOD on the fly or do you have to stop first? Or be in neutral? Also same question for 4L?

Are there any links to owners manuals for the VX or anywhere where I can buy one?

Thanking you!

Nick

Hi
    Didn't your VX came along with the owner's manual ?
    Our american TOD which is all time 4WD must be on neutral to shift into 4H,4L or non TOD so you might want to do the same although your JDM has the 2WD option.
    I'm not quite sure if you can shift from D to N while the VX is in motion & select the 2WD to 4WD & viceversa.
    Dakar was just the begining.

Typically on 4WD systems, you can shift between 2WD & 4H on the fly but not into 4L. Don't just take my word on it though - find out for sure before you start doing it on a regular basis. That's how it worked on an old Suzuki Samurai I had. If the transfer case has a Neutral position between 4H and 4L; you should be at a dead stop when changing through Neutral.

I haven't heard of any JDM owners manuals available. I've still got the book that came with my Proton but I doubt it even mentions the JDM transfer case. I'll look.

There was some discussion about a year ago about someone ordering an Owners Manual online. Try using the search function on the home page to see if you can find it.

Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

with the JDM VX i found this ...

You can switch from 2WD to TOD-HI, at any speed below 50 MPH.

If you want to switch to TOD-LOW, you have to stop the car, put the transmission in Neutral, then turn the dial to TOD-LOW. When you switch out of LOW, do the same.

hope it helps...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

Thanks guys.... when you say dial, do you mean dial? Only mine doesn't have a dial but a lever with 2W - TOD - 4L on. Also is 4L TOD too or permanent locked 4WD?

Thanks

Nick

Switch between 2W & TOD to your heart's content. Just don't switch in or out of 4L without stopping the vehicle and putting the tranny in neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Typically on 4WD systems, you can shift between 2WD & 4H on the fly but not into 4L. Don't just take my word on it though - find out for sure before you start doing it on a regular basis. That's how it worked on an old Suzuki Samurai I had. If the transfer case has a Neutral position between 4H and 4L; you should be at a dead stop when changing through Neutral.

I haven't heard of any JDM owners manuals available. I've still got the book that came with my Proton but I doubt it even mentions the JDM transfer case. I'll look.

There was some discussion about a year ago about someone ordering an Owners Manual online. Try using the search function on the home page to see if you can find it.

Tom
    Actually, while in Moab, todd mentioned that you can shift from 4L to 4H on the fly. Just shift to neutral, then put it in 4H, then back to drive...I did it multiple times at around 25mph or so. no problems, no thunks, grinding or otherwise bad sounds. He was right. Butt definitely not 4H to 4L...badddddd.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Mate,

You can change from 2wd to 4wd TOD anywhere up to 50mph but to put it in low ratio you need to be stopped and in nuetral. When in low ratio you have permenent 4wd.
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

"you can shift from 4L to 4H on the fly."

I've also heard of someone driving on dry pavement in 4L. I wouldn't.

Many thanks - one last question - are you ok in TOD up to the VX's top speed or shouldn't drive it that fast in TOD?

Cheers

Nick

That's the only option your American brethren have.

Good point

98. Blazed Peacock Mica, 1504 SOLD VxLess Now :O
    With mine changing between the 2H and Tod i always stop chuck it in neutral then do it. Never liked the thought of say damaging anything.

Hi guys i have another tip for you -
    When driving along and giving it some real pedal - we always come across some BMW or boy racer who feels he needs to be in front - well try this
    When you feel the need to get up to speed quicker than normal drop the gear lever into 3 and then punch it - if you are doing under 40 you can even go down to 2 - its like having nitrous - don't forget to change back as the speed increases - its not going to damage the gearbox but you can over rev the engine if you don't change up in time
    cheers
    Steve
    PS its more effective in 2wd
    Isuzu Vehicross 3.2 V6 24 Valve

^Or give the "Power" button a quick prod

None of the boy racers in Corby challenge me any more

a