Quote Originally Posted by SomeBeach View Post
I remember when seatbelts were for looks. We would all cram in the front seat while a parent drove. The dash boards were heavy steel...no padding. Parents would go into a store and leave us in the car with the cigarette lighter. It would be 95 degrees and we stayed in the car in the hot parking lot. We didn't have AC in car or at home. Only 3 channels on the TV and no remote. And forget about sunblock. We knew when we went to the beach we were going to be burnt up. And we were given jawbreakers and hard candy but never choked. And best of all the pet stores sold baby alligators. And the music, you could understand the words and the tunes are still around today. And to see a man accidently use profanity in front of a woman, he would turn red nd apologize like crazy. Where have all the good times gone???
Oh do I hear THAT!...
I learnt to drive in several vehicles (the first being a 47 Chev grain truck...4 on the floor with a three speed brownie OD, learned to double clutch before I found out about synchromesh), ALL with a metal dash.
The first car I owned, had seat belts, but I wasn't wearing them the night I rolled it on a perfectly straight road, in excess of 90 mph, snapped all four ET IV's off at the lugs...
Went to work the next day with a few scratches on my back.

There was a pet store on the way home from church/sunday school, & Mom would usually give in to our begging & stop for a while. (I'm sure the owners just LOVED seeing us coming, since we couldn't afford to actually buy anything)

They had the NASTIEST chimpanzee in there...just completely "CAGE RAGE" (peta hadn't been invented yet)
We would dare each other to get closer to his cage, (OK, Mom didn't play that) & he'd invariably either spit water at us, or try & pee on us...can't imagine why nobody ever bought the filthy little bugger...

DAMN, I'm enjoying this WAY too much, but I've gotta get my beauty sleep...

See y'all round midnight...central time zone...