Thread: Daylight running lights

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Daylight running lights

Hi,
    I need to modify my VX for inspection in Canada and daylight running lights is one of them. How can I do it so that the headlights would turn on as soon as I start the car and go off as soon as I turn it off?

I would guess you need a wiring diagram (available in the downloads section i think) and you need to wire it to an ignition wire in the fuse box so effectively the ignition key turns on the lights
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    You would have to bypass the on/off part of the light switch, but not the high/low beam part. That would be trickiest. A relay for the lights tied to any ignition-switched power source would get them to come on when you start the engine and shut off when you stop it.

That's not very helpful without specific details, I realize, but that would be the strategy. Try googling "daytime running light conversion canada" and see what comes up...

Good luck!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemol View Post
    Hi,
    I need to modify my VX for inspection in Canada and daylight running lights is one of them. How can I do it so that the headlights would turn on as soon as I start the car and go off as soon as I turn it off?
    Get in touch with Kenny...

He's been there & done that...

This website claims to have a kit for us:

http://www.hamsar.com/drlkits.htm

Click on the application hyperlink near the top.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    yup, talk to kenny, i know that he got new lights for the grill, and just wired those ones up...some really nice LED ones
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

actually I don't want to buy a kit but want to find out info on where to feed a wire from and where to run it just so that I will pass inspection. Once I pass it I will turn it back to the way it is or it was before inspection

MIKEMOL--- Yes, "Kenny" is your very best source for any Canadian requirements/questions related to the VX. Kenny is a very smart VX guy and extremely "crafty". His advice ranks right up there with TONE (R.I.P.).

Please E-Mail Kenny direct...
    Last edited by Moncha : 06/10/2011 at 03:04 PM Reason: DO NOT post other people's email addresses unless you have express consent!

Kenny,

these "glow gauges that had Km/h and mph. (FYI - these are hard to find now)" -- where did you get them?

Also, any fellow canucks with prior to 2001 VXes cares to share how did you get around the child restraint anchors issue?

thanks!

This seems to be the thread with the most technical information about the DRL (Daytime Running Lights), so I've decided to ask here.
    What I want to achieve is get the same lights on the moment I start the car as if I switched the light switch stick to the ON position. I'm not proficient enough to figure out how to do it, but hopefully will be able to follow instructions if anyone can help me out with them. Any ideas?

BTW, when I spoke to the Canadian Tire folk doing both federal and provincial inspections I asked them if there were *any* regulations for the power output or the size of the DRL and they said no. So if anyone is giving you hard time with the fog lights as DRL -- ask them for the specific regulations and post here please.

I apologize if this has already been discussed, as I didn't read the entire thread.

Rather than have the headlights come on with the ignition, I would probably wire some LED driving lights to the ignition. As the headlights have a lot of power draw and occupy multiple fuses, it seems like it would just be easier to wire up some low power lights to come on with the ignition. It would be easy to do and you would end up with more light at night. Good Luck
    '01 Kaiser SC'ed VX #0867