Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Bumper Project

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    and how much were all the other little parts you needed to get it to work properly?? (tuning, belts, wiring..etc) and that doesnt even include professional installation...
    Professional install? Hahahaha.... DO IT YOURSELF! Have garage, have shop experience, will do.

The only thing I had to buy post purchase was vacuum hosing. Man, must have broken my wallet by.... $3.

Just took my time doing it. An hour here and there after work for a couple of weeks, some support from members here, and it was good to go.

I would say aside from the S/C package, I put maybe an extra $15-$20 into it as well as some quality fun garage time. Hell, she is sitting on jackstands in my garage getting some "garage time" work done as we speak.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Ok, back to work here. Reverse seat deep dish refers to the reference point for the "face" of the rim, meaning that the face is very close to the outer edge of the wheel, meaning that tire must be mounted in reverse as far as putting it onto the machine goes. Deep dish is a street tire reference to the width and offset of the rim( that was almost 10yrs ago). Your rim face is almost all the way to the outside edge of the rim, therefore there is nowhere for the valve stem to go with reference to conventional rims.

Back to the bumper, I took up Jack's advice and decided that the bumper would not be fully functional if I could not stand on it, and that would make me a hypocrite (by normal def, not Ldub's). So I went and picked up some 16ga sheets, and 5 ft of 1" 14ga square tubing. I will cut the tubing into 4-6" lengths and weld them vertically on the top of the crossbar of my bumper to act as support towers. I need to bend the new sheet metal to fit, and then weld to the front of the cross bar, and to the towers. 16ga is pretty thick and gives very little over a 24" length when stepped on, but with a tower every 6" or so to support the weight, it will be good to go. I WILL FINISH THAT PART THIS WEEKEND!! As for filler, I don't know yet? I will see. As always, this is a work in progress, and I accept suggestions that do not involve starting over, putting the plastic back on, and they must be at my quickly advancing skill level. So standby for updates, the garage isn't getting epoxied until next week, so its on now.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Just DON'T use wood!

*It's kind of an inside joke if you don't surf any other Zu sites...I know Marlin will be laughing*
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Just DON'T use wood!

*It's kind of an inside joke if you don't surf any other Zu sites...I know Marlin will be laughing*
    LOL, ultimately, I do believe that a 2x4 would do just fine for the "towers" that I am going to use. They actually would probably be better than metal, but I don't know of a good way to attach them without drilling more holes, thus weakening the steel.
    They use wood in boats, Navy ships, trailers that hold gigantic construction machines, it would do just fine for holding up some 16ga sheet metal. God forbid we bring that up again...LOL.
    Thanks for the laugh man

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    and that would make me a hypocrite (by normal def, not Ldub's).
    My def came from this new thing that you may or may not have heard of...called a dictionary...

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Just DON'T use wood!
    LOL, ultimately, I do believe that a 2x4 would do just fine for the "towers" that I am going to use. They actually would probably be better than metal, but I don't know of a good way to attach them without drilling more holes, thus weakening the steel.
    They use wood in boats, Navy ships, trailers that hold gigantic construction machines, it would do just fine for holding up some 16ga sheet metal. God forbid we bring that up again...LOL.
    Thanks for the laugh man
    No...wood is GOOD... You could use epoxy to fasten it, & then screw, or even nail your plates to it...

Just keep it away from open flames...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    My def came from this new thing that you may or may not have heard of...called a dictionary...
    As we all know, there are words that have one definition per Webster, but mean something completely different by social usage.

That bike pic is what I posted up on the Zu forum...I would like to see him ride it around. Pretty close to Harley quality.

That bike pic is what I posted up on the Zu forum...I would like to see him ride it around. Pretty close to Harley quality.
    Yeah...but the SPLINTERS...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Yeah...but the SPLINTERS...
    Nothin that some 400 grit and some boy butter wouldn't solve...

Pretty close to Harley quality.
    Nah, better, won't rust like those boat anchors from Milwaukee or where ever the heck there made today.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Update************ I did get the new welder's mask that self darkens..worth every penny. On sale at Harbor Freight for 40 bucks. Anyway, I got the tower pieces cut and one side welded on. Here is where I am at, it is way too hot, and I sliced my leg open on the 16ga plate, which is around 3/32". That is one thick razor blade,didn't hurt at first, but now...it stings a bit . I will weld the other 2 on tomorrow, and bend some sheet metal again. Hopefully I can post something up for ya'll to really see. Still not sure about the gap, but eh, I am quite proud of myself. My welds today were a bit rough, but I managed to lay down a sweet bead about 3" long that was perfect!!! I am getting better fo sho.
    I also added a pic to show the upgrade to 5/8" pins vice the original 3/8". This thing is cock diesel.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    getting there amigo...

whats with the upside down isuzu badging?? ive never noticed that before?
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

getting there amigo...

That way if I roll it, I can get one good picture with it right side up. I am optimistic about these things, I do need to take it off and get rid of the white background, I was just screwing around a few weeks ago and kind of forgot about it...

PEANUT BUTTER KID--- I like it and it's not upside-down. It's the "sister" company of Nissan, it clearly reads: NZNSI

Alright, finally some more real progress, I at a crossroads right now, doing the 45 degree weld fit up is harder than I thought. On a good note, my measurements and cuts are perfect. I went to weld up the cross bar, and it was a perfect straight line!!! I discovered that my grill insert brackets are not straight, so in the pics, it may appear that the grill is crooked, that's cause it is. You can see the angle iron that goes across the center, I have a piece cut to go on top of it to fill in the hole, the enamel is drying right now. The crossbar and towers worked out great, I can walk on it, and it isn't going anywhere, I am catching slack on the planetisuzu site, they think I should use 3/8" plate for everything. Apparently they use their bumpers as rock plows. But seemings how mine is still a daily driver, not a trail pig, and if the front of the bumper is hitting rocks, then you can't climb it anyway, you will just dig a hole behind you, I am happy with it, and can always upgrade later. There is this magic machine called a "grinder". The perfect mistake fixer
    I am waiting on paint to dry, but I am done for the day, unless I get crazy after taking the kids to the movies!!
    Enjoy, and let the real flaming begin.

Last edited by Marlin : 08/09/2009 at 10:06 AM