Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Bumper Project

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Alright, I have caught so much excrement on the other forum, the sheet metal is going away and getting replaced with 1/4" steel plate. Looks like it is time to learn some more, and destroy some more tools in the process. Those guys are dicks on there, but probably right in the long run. They all drive trail trucks, and know how to do all this stuff, but are not tolerant of inferior ideas
    When I'm on the trail,I try to not bash into stuff(trees,rocks,ect) I've done Moab five times and Barnswell Mt three times and barely have scratched cladding. I'm usually light on the skinny pedal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

OK Marlin, I have to say, definitely looking better. But I have to ask also, how do you plan to re-integrate the cladding? Or are you?

Bart

I'm pretty sure he put the cladding up for sale...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harness View Post
    When I'm on the trail,I try to not bash into stuff(trees,rocks,ect) I've done Moab five times and Barnswell Mt three times and barely have scratched cladding. I'm usually light on the skinny pedal.
    As an update, I did manage to gain a little over three inches on approach clearance!!! Also, since I have nothing in front of my tires, I can now walk up most obstacles with no fear of damage!!! Yippeee!!!

As far as the cladding, its never going back on, cause I sold it. I have no desire to have it back on, I like functionality, and with Jack's recommendation to make it step-on-able, it will be sweet.
    I know not everyone will like it, and I understand why, but I am ok with that. I hate the VXs with street tires and the ones that are lowered, but eh, to each their own.

You guys will sheet when I get it painted flat forest green or maybe charcoal, never wax it again!!!! But that is a ways down the road, like next year sometime.
    Last edited by Marlin : 08/09/2009 at 05:08 PM

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

if you don't want to hear what the planet board says, don't post updates there.
    Ryan Christiansen

Trooper Skid Plates, OME 912's, Stric9 Sliders, Load Warrior with extension, Apline sub in rear door, Apline front speakers, Alpine head unit, Definity Dakota MT 285/75 R16, Aussie Lockers Front and Rear, 4.77 gears and Warn Manual Hubs.http://picasaweb.google.com/RyanVehiX

As an update, I did manage to gain a little over three inches on approach clearance!!! Also, since I have nothing in front of my tires, I can now walk up most obstacles with no fear of damage!!! Yippeee!!!
    That's cool!
    Moab is so amazing because you have super traction and can drive up really steep stuff.
    Barnwell Mt in east Texas is the trees and mud kind of place.I don't know if it's harder. You just have no traction. Obstacles aren't near as steep or big as Moab

You guys will sheet when I get it painted flat forest green or maybe charcoal, never wax it again!!!! But that is a ways down the road, like next year sometime.
    MARLIN--- You always impress me. Your bumper project is coming along nicely with a lot of intentional thought and planning. The really cool thing is this specific thread is a start-to-finish documentary, especially when comparing the very early postings to the most recent upgrades (quite an improvement).

As I mentioned in an earlier posting; since the front cladding is permanently gone (sold), most of us are just waiting to see how you are going to "blend" the front bumper design in with the empty void of space underneath the headlights, etc. Perhaps that is where the "expanded metal" treatment will be applied.

When you get ready to paint, maybe consider a "Bright Red" or better yet a combo of "Black-N-Red" (Red Bumper with Black Painted Expanded Metal grill inserts). It would look great with the Proton color and basically say, "Hey, here I come; get the hell outa' my way!!!" LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ99VX View Post
    if you don't want to hear what the planet board says, don't post updates there.
    You are right, but I do want to hear what they have to say, they just aren't too friendly about it. I rescind my previous comments about the Planet, my apologies.

Marlin, I know you are taking as if they are not being too friendly, but they are really looking out for you. They just want to save you time and effort and money with their experience. How you take that advice is up to you, though not everyone is eloquent. You seem to be taking a lot of their advice and really considering some of it, which shows your strengths in learning a new trade. I just hate hearing your remarks, I know they are coming from your frustration at your hard work and their non-approval, but I would hate to see any long term bridges burned. Just remeber, a lot of planet members are VX owners too.

Keep up the work.

I picked up some new steel yesterday, I got some 1/4" thick angle irons, some 1/8" plate, and some 1//4" plate. I will weld the angle iron on top of the crossbar, then weld the 1/8" plate on the top for the horizontal surface. To pretty it up, I am going back to the diamond deck, I can bend it easily and make it look nice. This thing will be heavy duty to say the least. I may also replace the front part of the skid plate, with some Naval ship deck plate. It is basically 1/8" thick expanded metal, but the ribs are 1" diameter. It holds thousands of pounds of motor and pumps on a ship. I have to think about it though. We shall see. The project will be on hold for a bit, the garage epoxy starts thursday. I am also buying that trailer I brought out to Moab. He is letting me have it for 1200 bucks, sweet!!!!! I just have to spend 400 to get new wheels and tires and get those junk Impala wheels off of it.

I will post up pics soon.

I am also buying that trailer I brought out to Moab. He is letting me have it for 1200 bucks, sweet!!!!! I just have to spend 400 to get new wheels and tires and get those junk Impala wheels off of it.

I will post up pics soon.
    What? No more bling?
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    What? No more bling?
    Turns out I am not a big fan of changing tires in the snow...

Weird, I have posted anything to the thread since the 11th, yet it says I posted this afternoon? It has done that a few times. But there is never a post?

Well, anyway, the garage should be done next weekend. I "back to black"ed my cladding today, took almost half a bottle, good stuff. Gotta see how long it lasts though.

I will be making some mods to the bumper, the sheet metal is coming off, angle iron going on, ,and I figured out how to fill the gap. Gasket rubber, similar to the rubber used for flexible mud flaps. It is easy to work with, will blend in, form fits, and if it gets hot during wheelin, I can easily take it off to give more air flow. bear with me ya'll, its getting there.

Maybe Boss Man put a sticky on it to try to keep you on track to getr done.

BTW, 4000 hits on this thread - Impressive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

it looks like

Weird, I have posted anything to the thread since the 11th, yet it says I posted this afternoon? It has done that a few times. But there is never a post?

Well, anyway, the garage should be done next weekend. I "back to black"ed my cladding today, took almost half a bottle, good stuff. Gotta see how long it lasts though.

I will be making some mods to the bumper, the sheet metal is coming off, angle iron going on, ,and I figured out how to fill the gap. Gasket rubber, similar to the rubber used for flexible mud flaps. It is easy to work with, will blend in, form fits, and if it gets hot during wheelin, I can easily take it off to give more air flow. bear with me ya'll, its getting there.
    you posted you were not a fan of changing tires in the snow or triathlete quoting you it is considering the quote as a new post