Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Custom Bumper Project

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I will weld this weekend, under the ends of the top cross bar I will weld some 2" angle iron as supports between the two bars right above the frame rail mounts.
    May I suggest using round stock (tubing), rather than angle iron, for a finished product that has more visual appeal?

Here is where I am now. I have the top tube welded on and the 3/8" thick angle irons at the outside. Now I can attach the front plate, once I get it bent. Ldub, I used the angle irons cause they were stronger, and it won't be visible once complete.
    The driving lights fit perfect in between the tubes, should be done next weekend I hope, gotta add a few gussets, paint a few more coats, and voila, I will be done.

It is being painted right now, so I will post the final pics hopefully next weekend.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Its getting there, I told ya I was going for the road armor look, and it is quickly heading in that direction. I should be able to finish the other side tomorrow, get it painted and mounted by say Fri, and wire up the lights sat, add some gussets and I will be done!!! Not sure how to fill in the gap, but it isn't near as big anymore. I am cutting the bottom rail tubing to a 45 degree angle and capping it. Then I just need to figure out how to mount my new skid plate, and all will be complete.
    It is not as sleek as Orion's, but I said form the beginning I wanted the road armor look.

So you are just going to leave the front end and the area around the grill and lights all open like that????

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    So you are just going to leave the front end and the area around the grill and lights all open like that????

Bart
    I dunno yet, working on that, I may cut a sheet metal outline to fill in the holes...but at least admit that the actual bumper is heading in the direction that I said I was going to do!

http://www.roadarmor.com/site/ford/08-plus-sd.php

Looking MUCH better! Shouldn't be to hard to fill that top section. Use card board and bend it and cut it to make a templet. Then you can use a little thinner gauge steel. Cut it and bend it using the cardboard templet, a little more welding and presto!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Looking MUCH better! Shouldn't be to hard to fill that top section. Use card board and bend it and cut it to make a templet. Then you can use a little thinner gauge steel. Cut it and bend it using the cardboard templet, a little more welding and presto!
    Hell YEAH!...

Make it segmented, so it looks like scales (think rough fish)...or the Batmobile armor!

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Hell YEAH!...

Make it segmented, so it looks like scales (think rough fish)...or the Batmobile armor!
    LOL, I think I am going to bedliner the face and top, and leave the bottom flat of course.
    No scales. A rocket launcher would be cool though.

Billy, I think you are right, that is a bit artsy for me, but probably the route I will take. I also thought about using heavy rubber, like what mudflaps for semis are made out of, flexible, but stiff, easy to cut and shape, and easily removed.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    two things-
    1. your isuzu emblem is upside down and its bothering me (its like hanging an american flag upside down, bad juju)
    2. getting there bro... getting there...
    ok, for example, between the headlight and the grill: why cant you build something with 2 gussets and fill in the face (to create a triangular angled back look) and do the same on the side between the headlight and the fender, except build 3 smaller angled pieces?
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    two things-
    1. your isuzu emblem is upside down and its bothering me (its like hanging an american flag upside down, bad juju)
    LOL, I got that from the Planet guys. I do need to fix the background, but it is staying red and upside down. Gotta cut out all the extra tape. I have it that way so if I flip it one day, I can get one good pic, sort of a sense of humor to keep me from freaking out if it happens...

2. getting there bro... getting there...
    ok, for example, between the headlight and the grill: why cant you build something with 2 gussets and fill in the face (to create a triangular angled back look) and do the same on the side between the headlight and the fender, except build 3 smaller angled pieces?
    That is doable, i kept thinking it had to be attached to the bumper, I was thinkin maybe a brush guard type top, but your way would work as well. I am gonna have to look at that, I do have a lot of 1" square tubing I could use. I could weld it straight onto the fenders and the radiator frame....good idea Jack.

Jack is this what you were thinkin, cause I think this is what I am going to do now...

yup, ill try to work somethin up on 'microsoft paint' when i get home... but i think you get the idea....although i would DEFINATELY not loose the grill... it makes the front of the VX what it is...

ill try to explain more-
    build 90degree gussets off of the bumper angled back towards the hood... then all you would have to do is cut a piece of metal to go over the gussets, and BOOM you have a full integrated look, and it slopes back to make it look 'integrated'... do the same as you have on the bumper only with 2 angles on the corner.
    i wouldnt try to go between the grill and the bumper personally... i would just do the area between the light and the grill, which would also include the part below the light, until you reached the joint in the bumper, then it would turn to match the bumper along the corner and onto the fender.

plus if you left the flat bumper underneath and in front of the grill then it will give you some step space... would WILL come in handy, i promise (i had an ARB on my toyota that i had before my VX and it had a step spot in front of the grill that was awesome to have)

yup, ill try to work somethin up on 'microsoft paint' when i get home... but i think you get the idea....although i would DEFINATELY not loose the grill... it makes the front of the VX what it is...

ill try to explain more-
    build 90degree gussets off of the bumper angled back towards the hood... then all you would have to do is cut a piece of metal to go over the gussets, and BOOM you have a full integrated look, and it slopes back to make it look 'integrated'... do the same as you have on the bumper only with 2 angles on the corner.
    i wouldnt try to go between the grill and the bumper personally... i would just do the area between the light and the grill, which would also include the part below the light, until you reached the joint in the bumper, then it would turn to match the bumper along the corner and onto the fender.
    Gotcha, I was trying to avoid connecting more to the bumper. The idea is that it is removable. Right now it weighs somewhere around 50lbs. The more I attach, the heavier and more awkward it gets. I will have to look at that, and the bar across the grill can be just the one under it, and maybe one at the top. I was thinking more along the structural lines.
    Thanks for the inspiration though, I will post up pics when I am done...

ya no problem lol.... cant wait to see what you come up with