Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Custom Bumper Project

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Ldub, very astute of you, the angles are actually the same, the driver side plate is just an inch longer, so I need to trim that off today. I forgot about the fact that one side of the crossbar is an inch longer than the other. No worries, the angles are the exact same, if you measure the distance from the crease to where the cut begins, or look at it with respect to the turn signals, they match up.
    FWIW, when doing fab work of this nature, the easiest way to check angles, shapes, etc., side versus side, is to hold them together, top to top, & tweak em' till same-same...

Ldub, very astute of you, the angles are actually the same, the driver side plate is just an inch longer, so I need to trim that off today. I forgot about the fact that one side of the crossbar is an inch longer than the other. No worries, the angles are the exact same, if you measure the distance from the crease to where the cut begins, or look at it with respect to the turn signals, they match up.

The glory of all this, it is completely removeable, and I would be willing to wager that none of you would be 100% successful at attempting something on this scale on your first try, and I don't mean first try at building your bumper, but first try at welding, cutting steel, fabrication and so on.
    It is easy to say "I would make it curved, and match the lines" but in reality, without very specialized equipment, you can't just "curve" 1/4" thick steel. I also did all of this in my garage, on my own dime with my own tools, vice access to tools at work or whatnot. My bumper is more than 5 times as thick as the factory bumper and is essentially bullet proof. I understand that it is not the most aesthetically pleasing (bit of an understatement), but it is my first one, and I cannot begin to tell you how much I have learned doing it. Let me fill in the empty space, get the lights wired up, the skid plate mounted, and it will not be near as bad as you think. I have a vision...when I bought the VX at first, everyone here made fun of how ridiculous it looked, sitting low to the ground, looked like a ballooned up ricer hatchback.
    I told them to give me a few months, and now they admit that it looks pretty mean, more like a truck should look. I had a vision of what I wanted, and now it is there. (except the bumper). I also have a vision of how the bumper will turn out...

I know what it feels like to have people beating on ur ideas, but what do you expect from this group when you go that far with it?

The glory of all this, it is completely removeable,
    But, didn't you already sell your front cladding? I mean, I suppose you could find another, but...

and I would be willing to wager that none of you would be 100% successful at attempting something on this scale on your first try, and I don't mean first try at building your bumper, but first try at welding, cutting steel, fabrication and so on.
    Well, yes and no. I think the biggest problem with all of this, at least for me, is that you may have had a "mental picture" of what you were trying to do, but you seem to have made absolutely NO PLANS whatsoever. Furthermore, I have done some welding/cutting/bending of steel/etc, and I agree that it isn't easy and takes some serious tools and know how, and that is EXACTLY why I would not have even ATTEMPTED a production piece without at least a little practice, a firm plan, the right tools, and the proper engineering. If I was you, I would have had a COMPLETE cardboard mock up done before I even bought a piece of metal. I would have perfected the design, and made 100% sure I was happy with the aesthetics BEFORE I sold off my front cladding and began the project.

It is easy to say "I would make it curved, and match the lines" but in reality, without very specialized equipment, you can't just "curve" 1/4" thick steel.
    True, but wouldn't that kinda make a little bell go off in your head?

I also did all of this in my garage, on my own dime with my own tools, vice access to tools at work or whatnot. My bumper is more than 5 times as thick as the factory bumper and is essentially bullet proof. I understand that it is not the most aesthetically pleasing (bit of an understatement), but it is my first one, and I cannot begin to tell you how much I have learned doing it. Let me fill in the empty space, get the lights wired up, the skid plate mounted, and it will not be near as bad as you think.
    OK, that remains to be seen.

I have a vision...when I bought the VX at first, everyone here made fun of how ridiculous it looked, sitting low to the ground, looked like a ballooned up ricer hatchback.
    I told them to give me a few months, and now they admit that it looks pretty mean, more like a truck should look. I had a vision of what I wanted, and now it is there. (except the bumper). I also have a vision of how the bumper will turn out...
    That's great that you have a vision. I feel the same way about my projects. Even before I bought my Trooper, I knew EXACTLY how I wanted the paint job to look. And I made it happen right away. It might not be the best looking job, but I like it, and that's all that matters. And the same goes for your project. I think the criticism mainly stems from the fact that you seem to have little respect for the outward appearance of the VehiCROSS. I personally love the outward appearance of the VX body. So taking anything away from that, at least for me, is pretty taboo.

All I can say is that taking on this project without the experience, tools, practice and planning it deserved, would be like me trying to do the body work on my Falcon without the slightest bit of experience. These are not Ertl model cars we are dealing with. This is the real, expensive deal. If I do decide to do the body work myself, I will probably take a class first, and I will most certainly save up and buy ALL the tools I will need to do it right.

Anyway Marlin, rock on and stay focused. No one needs to be happy with it but you. And if all else fails, you can always sell the VX and buy a Jeep! Cause we all know that most Jeepers out there just want a cookie cutter wheeler that everyone else approves of. And really, there is nothing wrong with that. Its just not me.

Bart

I hear what you're sayin Bart but personally I gotta give it to Marlinstein.

I'm sure he's feeling a lot of personal satisfaction right about now over his accomplishment. He's done a great job of customizing his ride ... even if it's not to the liking of the majority of VX owners. Wouldn't most Caddy owners in the 60's cringe at the thought of what George did to the Bat Mobile. He did it anyway & now it's a classic modded ride.

There's a 4-Runner in my neighborhood with 4 feet of steel tubing sticking out from the front of it. It's not to my liking & completely useless in this area (not much slick rock in VA). He likes it tho so ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I, for one, am not beating up on your idea, Chris... just the results thus far. I like the idea of a Road Armor style winch bumper. The thing is... it's best to learn how to walk before you learn how to run. So I don't get why someone with no skills or experience with metal work would take on something this massive, except, of course, to say you were the first to build a bumper. To me, telling people "I bet you couldn't do this your first time out" is like saying "I bet you guys wouldn't have as much success at learning how NOT to do something". But, at the same time nobody has ever said anything negative about your growing skills as we all know you are not done and we all know you are learning as you go; however, your bumper mimics that, and now your VX mimics that, and that is where all the flack is coming from.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    I'm sure he's feeling a lot of personal satisfaction right about now over his accomplishment. He's done a great job of customizing his ride ... even if it's not to the liking of the majority of VX owners. Wouldn't most Caddy owners in the 60's cringe at the thought of what George did to the Bat Mobile. He did it anyway & now it's a classic modded ride.
    You certainly have a point Tom. There are a lot of die-hard Australians who HATE to see their beloved Aussie coupes get turned into Mad Max replicas, much less exported to the US. And I suppose, I have similar feelings for the VehiCROSS. It's such a rare, unique, and wickedly cool PUV, that I hate to see it modded to the point of no return in an attempt to turn it into something it was really never meant to be. You know how I feel about your VX!!!

But I think it goes beyond that, and beyond personal satisfaction. Again, IMO, the problems with the bumper are more related to the apparent lack of planning/practice/tools/skills/etc, that should have been done/acquired/etc PRIOR to the project getting started. Like I said before, I probably would have a completely different opinion if it seemed like there was more forethought and practice put in place before this VX was...ahem...raped. But again, this is all just my lone opinion. In the grand scheme of things, it means absolutely nothing.

Bart

"I, for one, am not beating up on your idea, Chris... just the results thus far."

Yeah, who woulda thunk you could turn a Jeep bumper into a differential bracket.

"the problems with the bumper are more related to the apparent lack of planning/practice/tools/skills/etc, that should have been done/acquired/etc PRIOR to the project getting started."

You obviously have NO experience with how Army Acquision works

You obviously have NO experience with how Army Acquision works
    Perhaps, but from my 12 years of gas mask collecting, I do know that the US military would test several gas mask models made by several different companies first. Then, using the test results, they decide on a single design that fits the need. Then, that design goes through several prototype phases until the definitive product is perfected. I'm not sure how it works for other things, but I am fairly sure that's how it works for gas masks.

Bart

Nice try. That's the logical approach tho. It REALLY don't work that way.

Need Statement - Development Specification - Solicitation - Source Selection - Award to low bidder - Accept hardware that meets half the requirements @ twice the price.

Marlinstein Approach:

Need Statement (I want it) - Development Specification (mental image) - Try it - fix it - Try it - fix it - Try it - fix it - Try it - fix it - Try it - fix it - Try it - fix it - Try it - fix it - Try it - fix it - ...

Wouldn't most Caddy owners in the 60's cringe at the thought of what George did to the Bat Mobile. He did it anyway & now it's a classic modded ride.
    Sorry Bud, that was based on the Lincoln Futura.........

http://www.forbes.com/2001/07/09/0709vow.html

Wow - I just made Lbud's day for him ... gave him an opportunity to correct me. The whole logic in my first post just went down the toilet. THX

Wow - I just made Lbud's day for him ... gave him an opportunity to correct me. The whole logic in my first post just went down the toilet. THX
    L-O-L-O-freak-n...L!......

Just go change it to lincoln, I'll take this one down (eventually), & we'll walk away from this like nuthin' ever happend...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Sorry Bud, that was based on the Lincoln Futura.........

http://www.forbes.com/2001/07/09/0709vow.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    L-O-L-O-freak-n...L!......

Just go change it to lincoln, I'll take this one down (eventually), & we'll walk away from this like nuthin' ever happend...
    Take it down, whenever, but there will be those of us that won't forget
    So I said to myself, I said "Handee"
    and this voice came back and said..
    "He's not in, may we take a message?"

And on THAT note ... I get to go brief a General Officer on why my program shouldn't be sent down the crapper.

Y'all have a good day.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    too late... we all already saw it...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden