Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Bumper Project

I don't know. There's just something about this bumper that screams Marin.

Last edited by Moncha : 07/03/2009 at 07:03 AM Reason: Fixed text
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

That is on the right track Kodiak, or something like this...
    http://www.roadarmor.com/site/, but minus the brushguard that comes over the lights. The side panels would no longer be curved, but rather angled.
    I still consider the front plastic useless. Especially as pathetically made the bumper was...

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Well, I won't be trading the cladding, I will be selling it, and being that it is one of the most desirable pieces, and mine is great shape, just minor scuffs, I will have to send it to the highest offer....once I am ready.
    My VX looks to be turning more into a trail rig, that is still street usable. SO more cladding my come off and be replaced with steel and whatnot. This may be the beginning...

Carefull!!! We still want it to be a VX ya know. Not a mutant.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    So...this begs the question....

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    SO more cladding my come off and be replaced with steel and whatnot. This may be the beginning...

...why did ya buy a VX in the first place...

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think he means useless as in, the front bumper easily rusts through (has happened to many) and the cladding is clearly aesthetic, and not really useful.

I for one, would love an all steal replacement for our front bumpers... assuming it could look as OE as possible.

Custom winch mounts for ours are just too much work.

Thumbs up

I'm interested to see how your project turns out...thanks for the start to finish info...better than just a "here its done pic!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Quote Originally Posted by crager34 View Post
    Carefull!!! We still want it to be a VX ya know. Not a mutant.
    Hmm, that makes me think of a movie quote, I believe it is in "Dogma" where Salma Hayek mentions whether it is the breasts that make a woman a woman or what is inside? I know I butchered that, but you get the idea.
    While I agree the VX has unique styling, IIRC it is Kodiak that has the sig that says "Cars made by spreadsheet make cents, cars made by engineers make history" I am more interested in the engineering of the VX. I have done very few mods, and at Moab I went on a Jeep run with some heavy modded Jeeps and kept up with them and did every obstacle they did.
    That is why I have a VX.
    This bumper deal, saves me money in the long run, those plastic pieces are going to get harder and harder to find as time goes, I consider mine a preemptive strike on the inevitable. Plus, with my factory bumper trashed, if I am gonna spend the money, might as well do it right and prevent future problems.
    And last but not least, I want to be the first, and at least for awhile, to have a custom steel bumper with an integrated hitch(idea from Orion) and tow points and what not....

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post

but maybe a little more angular with accessories hidden beneath (winch, lights, hooks, etc) but the same basic shape would be an interesting goal.

Bart
    That my friend is a genius idea. Instead of bolting the cladding on, why not make it out of steel, same overall shape but a little more angular and further out and have it be hinged on the bottom...It would double as storage for whatever you want, trail tools, jack, who knows...and for those with huge offset, it would seemingly bring them back in a bit. Like a widebody kit on a Nissan or something like that...*sigh* another project to think about.
    Do you think the door could handle the weight? LMFAO, I had to say that, in case you didn't get it, that would be a reference to the rear tire mount project...................

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    chris...bad news....dont think you are going to be the only one with a custom bumper in moab next year
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Are you gonna do it yourself...and what is all this "see you at Moab next year", "you aren't gonna be the only one at moab". I don't know if I am going, it was awesome, but so expensive and almost a whole year's vacation time. If I do go, we are staying at the hotel, camping requires way too much gear compared to a suitcase for the hotel. As much as I loved the campground...its just not practical for me.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    well...maybe billy and i will be the only ones then

Update

Nothing huge, I did some mod to the fender ends, wheel liner, and removed unneeded brackets, cleaned up rust!!!! Looks nice with fresh paint. There was a ton of rust. It looks sweet, the fenders almost look like continuous cladding now. I didn't do any serious metal work yet. It was 95 with 85% humidity, heat index said 121. I was adjusting the steering nut to remove feedback when I realized it wasn't that hot anymore. That is bad, I knew it was balls hot. I figured I should probably come in before I died.
    Here are a few pics:

Idea

Here is what I am thinking:
    It will be plated in 1/16" aluminum diamond tread painted flat black. It will be very angular and I will use the ISUZU grill insert, so when I
    sell my front bumper, it will not include that, more to come.
    The skidplate will attach to the bumper and go all the way back to second cross member.
    The bumper will mount to frame in two spots, at the factory spot for the original bumper tube, and at the frame protusions inboard of there.
    The tubes will be welded to the frame, the bumper portion will quick disconnect to protrusions via hitch pins.

MARLIN--- Here's a suggestion. Inside the two(2) vertical support bars directly in front of the grill/radiator area: Use heavy-duty black "Expanded Metal" instead of solid diamond plate. The Expanded Metal mesh will allow cooling-air to pass directly into the front radiator, while still offering frontal protection.

They make various levels of heavy-duty Expanded Metal mesh, and you could get some of the really beefy stuff that is used for truck "cab guards", etc. Do a internet search for "Expanded Metal" to get some ideas for various strength levels.

On the outer side corners of the two(2) vertical support bars (left-front & right-front), you could still use the solid black diamond plate for protection as originally planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    MARLIN--- Here's a suggestion. Inside the two(2) vertical support bars directly in front of the grill/radiator area: Use heavy-duty black "Expanded Metal" instead of solid diamond plate. The Expanded Metal mesh will allow cooling-air to pass directly into the front radiator, while still offering frontal protection.

They make various levels of heavy-duty Expanded Metal mesh, and you could get some of the really beefy stuff that is used for truck "cab guards", etc. Do a internet search for "Expanded Metal" to get some ideas for various strength levels.

On the outer side corners of the two(2) vertical support bars (left-front & right-front), you could still use the solid black diamond plate for protection as originally planned.
    That is a great idea, I was going to drill 2.5" holes evenly spaced, about the same area as the factory front end, but your idea is better. Thanks for the tip.