Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Bumper Project

Im not to sure on the Blue color for the bumper .......I think it will clash with the color of your VX.. maybe a black would look better.................hehe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

i think the 2.5" holes would look way better than mesh!! It'll make it look *****....the rally look willlook mean!!
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    A suggestion...

(I kind of skip read the whole thread , so if this has been suggested , forgive me...)

At each front corner of the new bumper set up...
    ..... incorporate brackets / lugs ,whatever...that fit a hi lift off road jack.

One of my major issues has been safe ( high) lifting of the front end when off road...back is ok if you have a tow hitch.

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CROTCHROCKET--- The Expanded Metal Mesh will look totally stealth and offer much better frontal air-cooling without any air restrictions whatsoever. Drilled holes are gonna' look like someone just drilled some holes-- really cheesy (swiss cheese; excuse the pun). In addition, a tight Expanded Metal Mesh pattern will prevent small rocks/stones from flying into the radiator and putting a hole/puncture into the radiator, as opposed to a big 2.5" drilled hole which will allow large stones/debris from possibly damaging the radiator. The Expanded Metal Mesh is the best way to go with better frontal protection from flying debris and better air-cooling capabilities. A cooler engine is a happier engine!!!

JO--- Nah, MARLIN doesn't need those silly hi-lift jack anchor points because he uses an "inflatable" exhaust-air jack, plus he'll have a front square receiver hitch incorporated into the front bumper for trickier recovery operations. Further; MARLIN doesn't plan on ever getting stuck, because he's got the awesome Grabber AT2 tires which go anywhere!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    JO--- Nah, MARLIN doesn't need those silly hi-lift jack anchor points because he uses an "inflatable" exhaust-air jack, plus he'll have a front square receiver hitch incorporated into the front bumper for trickier recovery operations. Further; MARLIN doesn't plan on ever getting stuck, because he's got the awesome Grabber AT2 tires which go anywhere!!!

Those "inflatable jacks" work real well on nice flat areas. Anything else they are unstable and get nice holes when in rocks. Nothing is better than a good ole high lift!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Inflatable...did look at that once..ONCE!

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post

As Billy says..great on a flat scape...slow wherever!

PLUS..having 4 tail pipes on the ORW makes it all but impossible for me....

A central front tow hitch "square" will work fine....but given this is still on the drawing board...

..I'd include corner lift mount/holes too.

jo

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    i think i would agree with welding in some mounts towards the corners for tow points/jack points...

especially how marlin drives....he is gonna need em
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Those "inflatable jacks" work real well on nice flat areas. Anything else they are unstable and get nice holes when in rocks.
    TRIATHLETE--- Now; that's funny, you got it totally backwards.

The "inflatable exhaust air jacks" work absolutely the best on uneven/sloped terrain and actually mold themselves perfectly between the vehicle and uneven ground like a giant pillow. The inflatable bags are pretty tough and durable as is, but additional protective liners like car-mats aid in puncture resistance. The inflatable air jacks absolutely excel in difficult recovery operations such as deep mud, where the wide footprint and high flotation of the air-bag is still able to lift the vehicle without submurging itself into the mud. In addition, the inflatable jack will not slip-off and lose its vehicle or ground contact point like a high-lift jack will. The inflatable exhaust jack is by far the safest and best jack to use in any off-road environment; it doesn't weigh squat, and it doesn't bounce around the truck interior causing possible damage or personal injury like a high-lift jack.

The high-lift jacks are the jacks that only work well on totally flat surfaces under perfect conditions. On unstable/sloped ground, the high-lift jack can easily slip-off the mounting point (ground contact point AND/OR vehicle contact point) when the added weight and stress is applied during the jacking process. When the resulting high-lift jack quickly pops out of place, it can immediately cause further vehicle damage, permanent injury or even death!!! The high-lift jacks are extremely dangerous when used in an unstabe off-road environment and are totally worthless in mud, as the jack will just bury itself deeper into the mud (wasted effort). The high-lift jack should only be used on a totally perfectly flat, non-muddy surface under the most ideal conditions. The high-lift jack is old world 20th Century technology, and has been replaced by the safer, more lightweight and durable state-of-the-art 21st Century exhaust air jack which has endless vehicle recovery capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    just minor scuffs,
    Chris, I watched you at Moab this year, Minor scrapes. Anyone, everyone, get photos first. Remember, he works on carriers. Ever watch them naval aviators land on a carrier, OMG

Just kidding, if Chris say it is good, it is good and worth the money, go for it Bill
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post

Those "inflatable jacks" work real well on nice flat areas. Anything else they are unstable and get nice holes when in rocks. Nothing is better than a good ole high lift!
    Billy, we use to lift aircraft with those bags on very on even surfaces. Secret is is to lay a one inch felt pad on top and on the bottom and the nice thing about them felt pads is them lay flat where ever you put them.

Alright then...I'll run out and buy 2 right after I get my light weight tires!j/k

So, how well does that tail pipe jack work if you are in a situation where you can not run your engine?

Remember, he works on carriers. Ever watch them naval aviators land on a carrier, OMG
    I used to work on those guided projectiles that make those great displays of landingmanship!
    This was one of my babies...

Riff Raff...the hi lift jack is akin to chop-sticks.

They are BOTH still around...because THEY BOTH WORK....

I smell a lift and ''tire change'' challenge at Moab next year!:

jo

PS..My first bannnnnnanna dance...

....I feel good ..do be do be do be dooo...I new that I would!

You guys are a trip, the exhaust bag takes about 45 seconds or so to inflate, works on any surface and as for holes....wait for it, wait for it.....that is why god gave us floor mats Thick rubber, conform to any shape, and will protect the bag. I do not see fire trucks running around with hi-jacks, they have inflatable bags.

Anyway, as for hi-jack points, not gonna happen, I will integrate tow points, not for me of course, but in case I have to pull a Jeep out in reverse

I should have some pic updates next weekend for the bumper and with any luck a final product, the hitch in the front is not a planning thing, it is a go or no go, if it isn't goin in, then the bumper isn't happening. Not much longer I promise....

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Ah; thanx MARLIN, you totally rock. Now, take that Billy & Jo-- neener, neener, neener!!!

Oh, and thank you too ROWHARD for the added support as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    I smell a lift and ''tire change'' challenge at Moab next year!:
    Campground games...yipee! Funny, when ZuZoo was "official" they used to have ZuZoopaluza on the last day at the Portal field (the field now is the upscale section) where we played fun stuff like "spotter challenge" were the blindfolded driver was guided through an obstacle course by their chosen spotter! Fun fun fun!