Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Bumper Project

Impressive MARLIN, it's really coming along. You mentioned frontal impact; that reminds me, where is the "air bag deployment sensor" located in case of frontal impact???

Those are really nice smooth welds. If this is your first time welding; your friend is an awesome teacher, and his experience truly shows.

The tow hitch appears to be "inverted" upside-down and welded to the front cross-bar, as the safety chain holes are on the top (instead of normally on the bottom). That's pretty crafty of you.

After it's all finished, the front tow hitch hole will be hidden from view with a 1967/1968 Mercury Cougar flip-down license plate holder (originally used as rear gas cap access on early Cougars). The vintage Cougar license plate holder could also be mounted inverted upside-down where it "flips-up" (instead of flips-down), so as not to interfere with possible receiver drop-hitches that might hang down lower once inserted into the hitch hole.

Lastly; and most important, where can I get one of those Big Wheel Tricycles you have in the picture??? I've looked everywhere, but can't find one in my specific size. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Impressive MARLIN, it's really coming along. You mentioned frontal impact; that reminds me, where is the "air bag deployment sensor" located in case of frontal impact???

Those are really nice smooth welds. If this is your first time welding; your friend is an awesome teacher, and his experience truly shows.

The tow hitch appears to be "inverted" upside-down and welded to the front cross-bar, as the safety chain holes are on the top (instead of normally on the bottom). That's pretty crafty of you.

After it's all finished, the front tow hitch hole will be hidden from view with a 1967/1968 Mercury Cougar flip-down license plate holder (originally used as rear gas cap access on early Cougars). The vintage Cougar license plate holder could also be mounted inverted upside-down where it "flips-up" (instead of flips-down), so as not to interfere with possible receiver drop-hitches that might hang down lower once inserted into the hitch hole.

Lastly; and most important, where can I get one of those Big Wheel Tricycles you have in the picture??? I've looked everywhere, but can't find one in my specific size. LOL.
    Not sure about crafty, but it just made sense once we were working on it. This way it cannot get hung up on anything underneath, and I will have one continuous flat surface, if I come across something too tall, I can just nudge up against it and push, it will scoot up it.
    The license cover will happen, but it might be a while, I gotta hook up turn signals and whatnot first.

As for the trike, at your age, it might be better to save your pennies and get a hoveround

http://hoveround.com/wp/images/conte...nsporter-1.jpg

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    As for the trike, at your age, it might be better to save your pennies and get a hoveround
    Well; since you just had your 30th B-day, you're now quickly catching up to me. Thus; I'll get two(2) hoverounds, so you and I can hit the sidewalks together.

Well; since you just had your 30th B-day, you're now quickly catching up to me. Thus; I'll get two(2) hoverounds, so you and I can hit the sidewalks together.
    Nope, that is my next project, make the VX a rear steer. That way I can take it anywhere, maybe even move the driver's seat to the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Nope, that is my next project, make the VX a rear steer. That way I can take it anywhere, maybe even move the driver's seat to the middle.
    I think Marlin has givin me an Idea for my 1st Mod, love the thought of rear steering and seat in the middle. Since I've got ya both by a few years I might consider shipping my VX to Merlin for the "Hoverround Mod". Course I'll wait until he finishes his bumper project. Hum, seat in the middle and rear steering, what a mental picture. lmao
    So I said to myself, I said "Handee"
    and this voice came back and said..
    "He's not in, may we take a message?"

The "seat in the middle" trick reminds me of Jay Leno's McClaren F-1, which has the driver's seat in the middle and two(2) side pod passenger seats (one on each side L & R).

The "seat in the middle" trick reminds me of Jay Leno's McClaren F-1, which has the driver's seat in the middle and two(2) side pod passenger seats (one on each side L & R).
    I actually got the idea from the Monster Trucks, they are center drive with rear wheel, auto return to center steering.

Well boys, I hope you have some tissues handy, and I do not mean for tears...

Here it is with the skid plate, took about 3 hours to get it bent and fitted up. It is not going anywhere...ever. I added the tow points, this week I will try to get the 1/16" plate steel for the cosmetic stuff. Then I add driving lights and turn signals, and voila, the first ever full custom front bumper for a VX. I will drill out the oil filter and oil plug access as well. That will be a cinch. So close now...so close.
    I know that the tow point brackets are crooked, that keeps them tilted toward the inside, minimizing the vibration and flopping around. The front edge of the skid plate will not show once the sheet metal is installed.

Last edited by Marlin : 07/19/2009 at 11:58 AM

Tissues used... Round of applause...Looks fantastic!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Tissues not needed here, I like it ! I think my new motto will be "If I can dream it- Marlin can Mod it! " You shoulda been a Seabee. I think maybe ya are, a Seabee irradiated. Luv it man!

Quote Originally Posted by handeeman View Post
    Tissues not needed here, I like it ! I think my new motto will be "If I can dream it- Marlin can Mod it! " You shoulda been a Seabee. I think maybe ya are, a Seabee irradiated. Luv it man!
    Re-read post #67

That is looking really good.

One thing I like about you. You say you're going to do it, and you actually do it. When can you come over and do mine?

Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

Quote Originally Posted by tomdietrying View Post
    That is looking really good.

One thing I like about you. You say you're going to do it, and you actually do it. When can you come over and do mine?

Peace.
    Tom
    Thanks, at least there is one thing you like about me

Tomorrow I will post up my front cladding, and the turn signals and fog light housings for sale for those that are interested...

i think if your going to dive it .. you should tie up that strap.. it might hangup on the tires while you drive.......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Love the "bones" so far!

The skin will be the teller...

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by don moore View Post
    i think if your going to dive it .. you should tie up that strap.. it might hangup on the tires while you drive.......
    LOL, that is what my wife said, "Are you gonna drive it around with that strap?"
    Probably not, It was for show for the photo, maybe I can weld some hooks onto the plate and keep it on for offroading, but I am afraid of what the sun will do to it during long term exposure and making it brittle.