Thread: Custom Bumper Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    chris...bad news....dont think you are going to be the only one with a custom bumper in moab next year
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Are you gonna do it yourself...and what is all this "see you at Moab next year", "you aren't gonna be the only one at moab". I don't know if I am going, it was awesome, but so expensive and almost a whole year's vacation time. If I do go, we are staying at the hotel, camping requires way too much gear compared to a suitcase for the hotel. As much as I loved the campground...its just not practical for me.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    well...maybe billy and i will be the only ones then

Update

Nothing huge, I did some mod to the fender ends, wheel liner, and removed unneeded brackets, cleaned up rust!!!! Looks nice with fresh paint. There was a ton of rust. It looks sweet, the fenders almost look like continuous cladding now. I didn't do any serious metal work yet. It was 95 with 85% humidity, heat index said 121. I was adjusting the steering nut to remove feedback when I realized it wasn't that hot anymore. That is bad, I knew it was balls hot. I figured I should probably come in before I died.
    Here are a few pics:

Idea

Here is what I am thinking:
    It will be plated in 1/16" aluminum diamond tread painted flat black. It will be very angular and I will use the ISUZU grill insert, so when I
    sell my front bumper, it will not include that, more to come.
    The skidplate will attach to the bumper and go all the way back to second cross member.
    The bumper will mount to frame in two spots, at the factory spot for the original bumper tube, and at the frame protusions inboard of there.
    The tubes will be welded to the frame, the bumper portion will quick disconnect to protrusions via hitch pins.

MARLIN--- Here's a suggestion. Inside the two(2) vertical support bars directly in front of the grill/radiator area: Use heavy-duty black "Expanded Metal" instead of solid diamond plate. The Expanded Metal mesh will allow cooling-air to pass directly into the front radiator, while still offering frontal protection.

They make various levels of heavy-duty Expanded Metal mesh, and you could get some of the really beefy stuff that is used for truck "cab guards", etc. Do a internet search for "Expanded Metal" to get some ideas for various strength levels.

On the outer side corners of the two(2) vertical support bars (left-front & right-front), you could still use the solid black diamond plate for protection as originally planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    MARLIN--- Here's a suggestion. Inside the two(2) vertical support bars directly in front of the grill/radiator area: Use heavy-duty black "Expanded Metal" instead of solid diamond plate. The Expanded Metal mesh will allow cooling-air to pass directly into the front radiator, while still offering frontal protection.

They make various levels of heavy-duty Expanded Metal mesh, and you could get some of the really beefy stuff that is used for truck "cab guards", etc. Do a internet search for "Expanded Metal" to get some ideas for various strength levels.

On the outer side corners of the two(2) vertical support bars (left-front & right-front), you could still use the solid black diamond plate for protection as originally planned.
    That is a great idea, I was going to drill 2.5" holes evenly spaced, about the same area as the factory front end, but your idea is better. Thanks for the tip.