Thread: Custom Bumper Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    [QUOTE=Marlin;166483]

One thing you might consider for strengthening the whole setup, is drilling out the holes where your current pins are, & upgrading to full size trailer hitch pins.

If they're already the same dia. maybe drill out the hole further forward, & double pin it.

Just thinkin' out loud...

[QUOTE=Ldub;166866]
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    One thing you might consider for strengthening the whole setup, is drilling out the holes where your current pins are, & upgrading to full size trailer hitch pins.

If they're already the same dia. maybe drill out the hole further forward, & double pin it.

Just thinkin' out loud...
    I actually talked to my dad about that. The pin itself is rated to 90K lbs before bending. The hole is rated to a little under 40Klbs, prior to hole elongation. If I go to the 1/2" pin, it buys me another 15Klbs. Not sure what I would need 40Klbs of stress for? I am going to take Billy's advice and sleeve a pair of the inner 2" tubes into the crossbar and place the bolts for the tow hooks through that. It will then be all but impossible to bend the tube via the tow points. That will be a total of 1/2" of steel to bend, not sure what the grade 8 3/8" bolts are rated to, but its gotta be a whole lot.

I should start the sheet metal work next week sometime, no time this week. I am probably going to go with 16gage plate. The aluminum is too hard to bend, and way too expensive. Steel is cheap. I about blew out a nut bending the front of that skid plate. That was with two of us using a sheet metal brake. For those doubting the strength of 1/8" thick aluminum plate....don't, it will kill you!!!!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    [QUOTE=Marlin;166871]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post

I actually talked to my dad about that. The pin itself is rated to 90K lbs before bending. The hole is rated to a little under 40Klbs, prior to hole elongation. If I go to the 1/2" pin, it buys me another 15Klbs. Not sure what I would need 40Klbs of stress for? I am going to take Billy's advice and sleeve a pair of the inner 2" tubes into the crossbar and place the bolts for the tow hooks through that. It will then be all but impossible to bend the tube via the tow points. That will be a total of 1/2" of steel to bend, not sure what the grade 8 3/8" bolts are rated to, but its gotta be a whole lot.

I should start the sheet metal work next week sometime, no time this week. I am probably going to go with 16gage plate. The aluminum is too hard to bend, and way too expensive. Steel is cheap. I about blew out a nut bending the front of that skid plate. That was with two of us using a sheet metal brake. For those doubting the strength of 1/8" thick aluminum plate....don't, it will kill you!!!!
    Sweet!...Overbuilt is good!...

[QUOTE=Ldub;166878]
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post

Sweet!...Overbuilt is good!...
    Speaking of overbuilt, my dad looked at my pics finally. His only recommendation was to weld some gussets from the inside of the "sleeve" tubes to the front crossbar to prevent any lateral movement of the bumper and to minimize stress on the frame of the truck if towing. Damn, he is way smarter than I am. I also want to put a round tube arch over the receiver that comes up to the hood, for that brush guard look, I will make it follow the curve of the Isuzu grill insert. He recommended I get a conduit bender and just use 1" or 1.5" conduit, it isn't structural, just for pretty and to take some of the angle out of the front. *sigh* if only you guys could see what I see in my head.
    My bumper will look sweet, but then again, I am it's mother, and all mothers think their children look the best