Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Bumper Project

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    My reference point is Ldubs SC VX. We played in the sand at Moab, I would expect the SC VX to throw up some sand, and I am on just under 33s stock gearing as well. I kept up with him just fine with my NA Injen intake with K&N cone filter. I don't know what a S/C costs for the VX, but I would guess >$1K. Just doesn't seem worth it to me, but that is my opinion, I would much rather have lockers if I was gonna spend that much money. But once again, to each their own, hence my barbaric looking bumper
    Uhhhh, yeah, whatever you say there chief...

If I'd have known you were tryin' to keep up, I woulda put my foot in it...
    But then you would'v been buried, & I woulda had to dig you out...

You definitely have the whole "function before form" thing goin' on there...nice.

Izzat the 'embarassing exhaust' everyone was talkin bout recently?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

My reference point is Ldubs SC VX. We played in the sand at Moab, I would expect the SC VX to throw up some sand, and I am on just under 33s stock gearing as well. I kept up with him just fine with my NA Injen intake with K&N cone filter. I don't know what a S/C costs for the VX, but I would guess >$1K. Just doesn't seem worth it to me, but that is my opinion, I would much rather have lockers if I was gonna spend that much money. But once again, to each their own, hence my barbaric looking bumper Hopefully some new pics should be up this weekend, if I can get a hydraulic press with my cladding money, I can bend some tubing, and play with that project.
    More to come...
    Thanks for all the info, keep it coming.
    Fair enough. I would go with gears and lockers for your application. Boost ain't gonna be of much use crawling anyways. It's damn nice when you wanna make that fast lane pass at 65+mph though.

Some advice though.... next time you wanna play with Dub, show him that it's the pedal on the RIGHT.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    Fair enough. I would go with gears and lockers for your application. Boost ain't gonna be of much use crawling anyways. It's damn nice when you wanna make that fast lane pass at 65+mph though.

Some advice though.... next time you wanna play with Dub, show him that it's the pedal on the RIGHT.
    Ha ha ha ha ha. At his age, he is lucky he is even allowed to drive...
    Anyway, you being stuck on that ledge and throwing up sand does not count. Kodiak threw some sand there as well, and he is on street tires!!!
    I was talking more about when we played in the dunes, and your (Ldub) VX was severely bogged down, and I thought you were going to have to back up or get snatched, and we all played in the same sand.
    As for function before form, I take that as a compliment, a "birds of a feather thing" or "the pot calling the kettle black".

As for the power at 65mph, my VX rarely goes on the freeway, and if it does, it doesn't go fast...I do believe lockers may be my next project after the whole bumper thing is done. Probably just front locker, I am happy with the LSD rear end. We shall see. One thing at a time boys, one thing at a time.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

I was talking more about when we played in the dunes, and your (Ldub) VX was severely bogged down, and I thought you were going to have to back up or get snatched, and we all played in the same sand.
    Have you noticed how aggressive Ldub's tires are and that your's are fairly smooth? Have you realized different tires perform differently in different terrains? In other words, would you think the S/C was the greatest thing since breastmilk if you saw Ldub blow thru a mud hole you got stuck in?
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Well, my VX has never been stuck in or on anything that was due to a lack of power. Tires of any kind are breaking loose regardless of medium with what horsies we already have.
    All I am saying is, for the thousands it would cost to SC my VX, the gain is just not worth it for a crawler or general purpose off roader. Maybe baja, or street would be different.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    As for function before form, I take that as a compliment, a "birds of a feather thing" or "the pot calling the kettle black".
    In your dreams...maybe......... ...

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    play nice guys....

he is just saying for his application.... 5 or 6k could be spent more efficiently....
    LDUB is pulling A LOT of extra weight in his VX daily, and he also regularly pulls a trailer...so a SC for him makes more sence for his application...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    play nice guys....

he is just saying for his application.... 5 or 6k could be spent more efficiently....
    5 or 6K, is that what it costs to S/C a VX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You could do an entire V8 swap for that kind of money!!!!!!!! I could SAS, locked front and rear and new gears for that much!!!!!!!!!

5 or 6K, is that what it costs to S/C a VX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You could do an entire V8 swap for that kind of money!!!!!!!! I could SAS, locked front and rear and new gears for that much!!!!!!!!!
    Hahahaha.... riiiight. Maybe the Russians would pay that, but not us. I got mine for just under $3k years and years ago. It's no $6k Kenny Bell, but it's a gem for it's rarity. Probably the only thing in my VX that I could sell for a profit right about now, heh.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Hahahaha.... riiiight. Maybe the Russians would pay that, but not us. I got mine for just under $3k years and years ago. It's no $6k Kenny Bell, but it's a gem for it's rarity. Probably the only thing in my VX that I could sell for a profit right about now, heh.
    and how much were all the other little parts you needed to get it to work properly?? (tuning, belts, wiring..etc) and that doesnt even include professional installation...

Plus install? Was it really worth it?! Did it go 3K dollars faster? I just can't imagine it being that much of a difference. Especially now, I could get another VX for what it would cost to get a S/C and parts...

With a S/C there is no need for lockers LOL

And yes, it feels $3000 faster, I love it, but for the big rocks.... lockers are the way to go.
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaVX View Post
    With a S/C there is no need for lockers LOL

And yes, it feels $3000 faster, I love it, but for the big rocks.... lockers are the way to go.
    I thought you were working on an engine swap? Can't remember where I saw that. But it wouldn't be just 3K, it would be closer to 4 or 5 I would think, after all the other changes you gotta do...and what not? But I honestly have no idea.

Man I swear every time I post now thats the first response I get. Yes engine swap still in limbo, no garage, looking for a house, nothing I am interested in within my price range.

Engine swap costs more than the SCer unless you get a hell of a deal on a motor. I got the SCer kit for $2600 i think (Tones Christmas special) and had a shop install for $750, total <$3500 with shipping. Hard to find a V8 and fab/install for that price.

Stock on the 1/4 mile track I ran 16.5 and with the SCer I ran 15.2. curious what the N/A LS1 will do but I don't expect much/any faster.