Thread: Custom Bumper Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks to the advice that Orion gave me a few days ago...that would have been nice a few months ago, I am making significant progress. Here are a few pics. I will weld this weekend, under the ends of the top cross bar I will weld some 2" angle iron as supports between the two bars right above the frame rail mounts. This top bar solves the problem of making the bumper capable of being stepped on, fills a few more inches of that empty space, and allows me to put the fog lights in between two bars, no fear of stepping on them or whatever.

Sorry the pic is bad, house faces the west...bad afternoon shots. Get over it.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

There you go! nothing more fun than bending metal

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I will weld this weekend, under the ends of the top cross bar I will weld some 2" angle iron as supports between the two bars right above the frame rail mounts.
    May I suggest using round stock (tubing), rather than angle iron, for a finished product that has more visual appeal?

Here is where I am now. I have the top tube welded on and the 3/8" thick angle irons at the outside. Now I can attach the front plate, once I get it bent. Ldub, I used the angle irons cause they were stronger, and it won't be visible once complete.
    The driving lights fit perfect in between the tubes, should be done next weekend I hope, gotta add a few gussets, paint a few more coats, and voila, I will be done.

It is being painted right now, so I will post the final pics hopefully next weekend.

Its getting there, I told ya I was going for the road armor look, and it is quickly heading in that direction. I should be able to finish the other side tomorrow, get it painted and mounted by say Fri, and wire up the lights sat, add some gussets and I will be done!!! Not sure how to fill in the gap, but it isn't near as big anymore. I am cutting the bottom rail tubing to a 45 degree angle and capping it. Then I just need to figure out how to mount my new skid plate, and all will be complete.
    It is not as sleek as Orion's, but I said form the beginning I wanted the road armor look.

So you are just going to leave the front end and the area around the grill and lights all open like that????

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    So you are just going to leave the front end and the area around the grill and lights all open like that????

Bart
    I dunno yet, working on that, I may cut a sheet metal outline to fill in the holes...but at least admit that the actual bumper is heading in the direction that I said I was going to do!

http://www.roadarmor.com/site/ford/08-plus-sd.php

Looking MUCH better! Shouldn't be to hard to fill that top section. Use card board and bend it and cut it to make a templet. Then you can use a little thinner gauge steel. Cut it and bend it using the cardboard templet, a little more welding and presto!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)