Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another wheel and tyre question...

Another wheel and tyre question...

Thanks to CrotchRockets advice and other info, I'm going for 265/75 16's. I haven't decided on exact tyres yet, but will be either Goodyear Wrangler MTR's, Hankook RT03's or something similar. Now I really want black wheels and love these: Ebay linky. Then I suddenly realised that they are very similar to the stock alloys.

So a couple of questions... I'm considering getting the alloys blasted and painted black. Has anyone ever done this and do they last? More importantly I guess, will those tyres fit the stock alloy or is the offset wrong/will it look silly, even if I used spacers?

Many thanks.

Nick

Those wheels on eBay look to have the wrong bolt pattern. Before you buy anything, make sure you are getting the right specs.

Are your stock wheels chrome plated? If not, you could probably get them powder coated black and they would look good.

Bart

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ghlight=wheels

Look at post 16 in the above thread.

It doesn't completely answer your question but certainly implies that blasting/painting a rim is doable.

I don't remember anyone who actually did the whole rim but several have talked about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Cheers guys

The ones on eBay are indeed 5 stud for Landies. I have asked, but they are not available with 6 stud. Thats when I had the idea of painting the existing alloys. They are not chromed, so I think it should be OK. Looking at them again though I think the offset may be wrong for bigger tyres. The specification in the knowledgebase says the offset is 38mm. Does that mean I would need some 40mm spacers? Not a problem, but I need someone who knows about this kind of thing to tell me if I am barking up the wrong tree or not.

Nick

Personally, I would not go with spacers. Why not just pick up some black steel rims? I think they look good and they are going to cost you about the same price is getting the stockers powder coated. This way you can get 16x8s and have a 0 offset for a slightly wider stance.

Just my 2 shillings worth...

Bart

Wanna read a lengthy & rather animated discussion about spacers?

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...hlight=spacers

ALTERASTRO--- Check-out: www.4x4tyres.com

Take a look at the new KUMHO - Road Venture M/T KL-71

With your stock OEM 16x7 rims, you can mount either LT265/75R16 (31.9" O.D.) or LT285/75R16 (32.8" O.D.).

The LT265/75R16 will fit on a "non-lifted" VX.
    The LT285/75R16 will fit on a "lifted" VX.

Use your stock OEM 16x7 rims, as they have the correct offset you will want to maintain. Do not use spacers of any kind (very dangerous).

To make CROTCHROCKET really jealous, get the new KUMHO - Road Venture M/T KL-71. It is a radical looking M/T tire and is now available in the U.K.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    ALTERASTRO---
    Do not use spacers of any kind (very dangerous).
    I am going to have to agree here 100%, please do not use wheel spacers, we want as many VX's out there on the road as possible, this is an unnecessary risk, it is not safe for you or the VX's various components.

But feel free to change rims, if you don't want to lift or put larger tires on look at Wormgod he has a pretty slick VX with nice offset, rims, and tires.

98. Blazed Peacock Mica, 1504 SOLD VxLess Now :O
    Im running the Rt03 must say definitly a good looking tyre!

But yes as above dont use spacers :O

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    wrangler MTR
    thats what im running and they rock!

on the spacers
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Thanks all.

So advice is not to use spacers or adaptors

It seems the stock 7" rims are too thin for 11.5" tyres, but ok for my choice of 265/75 16's.

Has anyone got 265/75's on the stock rims that can show me a profile picture so I can see what they look like or measure how far they sit inside the wheelarches?

Nick

The LT265/75R16 will fit on a "non-lifted" VX.

Really??? These are the tyres that Crotch has and he says he needed the bigger springs and torsion bars cranked up. Looking at his pics I can't imaging they would fit without that lift, but am happy to be proved wrong! I have Hankook RT03's at 285/75 16's on my Pajero, so maybe I'll do this lift and see if they fit without too much rubbing

To make CROTCHROCKET really jealous, get the new KUMHO - Road Venture M/T KL-71. It is a radical looking M/T tire and is now available in the U.K.
    I know them well. I have several friends with them and highly recommend them. The only thing putting me off of them is that they are directional.

Cheers

Nick

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by alterastro View Post
    Really??? These are the tyres that Crotch has and he says he needed the bigger springs and torsion bars cranked up. Looking at his pics I can't imaging they would fit without that lift, but am happy to be proved wrong! I have Hankook RT03's at 285/75 16's on my Pajero, so maybe I'll do this lift and see if they fit without too much rubbing.
    In the past I've had 265/70x16" on stock wheels, no lift, very little trimming of the front cladding.

I currently have 285/75x16" mounted on my stock wheels, that fit with a lift & some trimming.
    I use them as my winter tires & loan them to my wheelin' buddy Jim for Moab every year.
    285's may be a little wide for a 7" wheel, but if properly inflated, they seem to wear OK.

happy to help

Those alloys look awesome!! And if your looking for sand blasting.......just so happens its my dads business www.blask-cleaning.co.uk You can then get them powder coated. But your looking at around £80 a rim all in i think.

patric (the irish guy) uses 30mm spacers which would set your offset to +8mm which would be fine. (mine is 0 offset so yours would be 8mm into the arches not out)

this is a handy calculator to test rim widths and offsets http://www.bigcustomwheels.com/info_specs.jsp

If you are interested in the steel rims i will find the reciept as not sure where i got them but it was on the net. I got 8" rims which arent easy to find!! *edit* found it http://www.tyresdirectuk.co.uk/xcart/home.php?cat=257

i got my tyres here http://www.4x4tyres.com
    i was looking at the budget end (as kept road tyres on standard rims) so it was a choice between:

recip trial M/T (look mean!!!)
    Bronco Grizzly Claw, not so good on road apparently
    Kumho MT KL71, more expensive but look better in pictures. not as good in reality
    Insa Dakar Turbo's (the ones i got) they are a BFG M/T copy and i couldnt be happier, i cruise at 80 on motorway and get through mud perfectly!! Grip is fine in dry and wet on the road. They do 'hum' on the road but i like it
    Last edited by crotchrocket : 06/11/2009 at 06:34 AM
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

funny ..they say tyres ......hehe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...