Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Towing the VX

Towing the VX

Towing the VX;
    I was looking for a dinghy to tow behind my motorhome when I accidently stumbled onto my VX. I had never seen or heard of one before. I knew immediatly we were meant for each other. I figured I could get around the fact that it won't tow 4-down by putting it on a trailer. Click on the pic.
    Attachment 1002
    We have taken a couple of trips now and I realize it's not too practical. First the VX and trailer weigh 5,800 lbs and the small motorhome knows it's there. Secondly it's kind of a pain to unload and load at times. Thirdly, parking the trailer is a problem at some RV parks.

Heres where I hope for some help. Does anyone know of a transfer case with a neutral that will mate up to the VX tranny so it will tow 4 down. Has anyone got an idea how I can get the VX to tow?
    Last edited by Travelin2 : 09/14/2009 at 08:45 PM

Well, I'm certainly no help, but something I was wondering, if you disconnect the rear drive shaft at the diff, is there any reason why you couldn't use one of those dollies you can rent and sometimes see for sale cheap where you drop the front axle in?
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

I'm going to show my ignorance about transfer cases and towing 4-down here but why can't you just put the TOD in neutral and pull that VX as-is? Why would you need another transfer case? Seems like all you would need to do is figure out a way to lock the TOD in neutral since from what I remember there's no detente for neurtal. Wouldn't want that thing jumping into gear if you hit a bump going down the road!

OK - somebody splain it to me...

SlowPro, again no smarter then you. Just know that you can't drag this puppy with the rear wheels down and the fronts dangling. That's why my comment about disconnecting the shaft from the rear diff. Beyond that, I don't have a clue.

Yeah, my bro was a repo man for a while and found that out the hard way when he towed an AWD Honda with only the rear wheels on the ground. I think by 4-down he mean with all four wheels on the road so there wouldn't be a speed differential between front and rear most of the time and when there was it wouldn't matter with the TOD in neutral anyway. BUT - since we don't have hubs that can unlock, basically the whole drivetrain would still be spinning so I think it must be more of a wear issue.

No worries - I'm sure some knowledgeable VXer will wade into this conversation soon and then we'll know!

...but of course that wouldn't be solved by a different transfer case so we're back to square 1..

OK - time to fold some laundry. Maybe there will be an answer in the morning. What is this... Twitter?

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPro48 View Post
    No worries - I'm sure some knowledgeable VXer will wade into this conversation soon and then we'll know!
    Que LDUB

You can solve the front wheel issue with locking wheel hubs that litterally disconnect the front wheels from the tranny by simply turning a switch on the hub. Inexpensive and simple to fit.

The rear is more problematic.

you could reverse it onto this and tow it backwards with the front wheels running freely

http://www.northerntool.com/images/p.../125760_lg.jpg

also look here

http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide..._behind_rv.php

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...g-options3.htm
    Last edited by crotchrocket : 06/12/2009 at 02:37 AM
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Last edited by Ldub : 06/12/2009 at 03:56 AM

Travelin2--- I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I'd leave the VX at home and get a little gas miser micro-car camp site beater that's front wheel drive and use a simple single-axle tow-dolly with the car's front drive axle on the tow-dolly itself.

Get something like a used cheapo Ford Festiva, Kia, Hyundai, etc. that doesn't weigh jack-sh!!!!!!!t, and is front wheel drive (for tow-dolly convenience). Save the VX for when you're at home. Your VX will last longer (parked at home), and your Motorhome will get better MPG, saving you money all-around. Just my 2-cents.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Travelin2--- I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I'd leave the VX at home and get a little gas miser micro-car camp site beater that's front wheel drive and use a simple single-axle tow-dolly with the car's front drive axle on the tow-dolly itself.

Get something like a used cheapo Ford Festiva, Kia, Hyundai, etc. that doesn't weigh jack-sh!!!!!!!t, and is front wheel drive (for tow-dolly convenience). Save the VX for when you're at home. Your VX will last longer (parked at home), and your Motorhome will get better MPG, saving you money all-around. Just my 2-cents.
    ... on that!

Travelin2,

It sure would be nice to be able to tow the VX 4 down but it really isn't a good idea.

Swapping out the transfer case with a neutral will be a major undertaking and very expensive.

Disconnecting the rear driveshaft and putting the front wheels on a dolly worries me too. The limited slip in the rear diff may not like that at all (not sure).

Putting the transfer case selector between TOD and 4L just plain scares the hell outa me.

Eons ago I read an article about someone who had installed locking hubs front and rear for the purpose of towing 4 down. This wasn't on a VX but the concept still applies. I'm talking about an article I read 20 years ago so there's no way I'd ever be able to remember where I read it but it is something you could look into.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Thanks fellas; I pretty much figured I would hear what you guys are saying but thought there might be an Easy Button out there I hadn't thought of. I think getting a different rig like Riff Raff said is the logical way.

Tow the MH with the VX!!!

LOL... j/k

:bwgr::bgwp:
    We sit together, my VX and I, until only the VX remains.
    --Iamironman

Yeah you did - and it didn't turn up squat did it?

Did you even read those threads? The last one has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand (it talks about CV boots getting torn by towing on a rollback) and NONE of those threads answer the question of why changing out the transfer case would allow 4 down towing.

I'm just trying to learn something NEW here...

...I already know how to use the search function!