Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: License Plate

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

License Plate

I was just looking through the internet and couldn't help but notice some vehicles pictured with the license plate blacked out. So the question is....Why do people feel a need to block their license plate??? I mean even in a worse case scenario what could possibly be the risk of having your license plate revealed. I'm wondering if they ride around town with a cover on their tag???

I had the same thoughts.
    License plates are for public view,make no sense blocking them on the web & every single individual near you car can read them.

I guess all that has to do with the perception of privacy.
    However,if you feel to you can have the tags replaced as many times as you want,just pay for it.
    Dakar was just the begining.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    i dont understand a use for it...i think the only purpose would be if you had a very very valuable car, and only took it in public in very safe areas and car shows...
    i could see your information not being open to all of the public in that case...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

By having your license plate blocked-out in pictures posted on the internet prevents world-wide law enforcement personnel (worthy or unworthy) who have access to DMV computers from running your plates and finding out who you are and where you live.

Sure; while your vehicle is on the road in public, everyone can view your license plate. That is a very small number of people viewing your license plate and an even smaller pecentage of people who have actual DMV computer access (like a typical policeman in a cruiser), when compared to the entire world on the world-wide-web.

For me, I don't want anybody knowing where I live unless I specifically want them to with my explicit permission. That's why I have my official street address listed as a PMB (Private Mail Box) going to a local commercial MailCenter type business outlet that rent-out a PMB. In this way, I don't care if my license plate is posted on the internet; I'm safe.

It helps me sleep better at night knowing I'm not going to see a black Chevy Suburban or a black Crown Victoria parked across the street from my front door. Plus, it saves me ammunition.

is there a good reason why a law enforcement officer would need to park across the street from your house??

you realize there are many officers on this site right??

still personally see a reason as long as your not doing anything illegal...nothing wrong with doing some good ole fashioned moab wheeling

Well that theory is applicable only when there's a justified reason to do so,like if you are under witness protection program by FBI,CIA or DEA,yet cops can still trace you every time you are browsing the web,using your mobile phone or even using your debit/credit card or bank accounts.

Beside that,our web site have proved to be a healty/non criminal website so they already figured out we are all harmless

The internet can be a very scary place and the reasons you can think of to block your license plate are probably not even the reasons people would take them. I'd rather limit the information I provide anywhere on the internet because it isn't just the people on this site that have access to it. There are web crawlers and all sorts of other ways people find images. Go to Google and type anything into the image search, you would be surprised how many people's personal pictures (vacations, etc) are found. And they NEVER go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Plus, it saves me ammunition.
    Saw .308 at a recent gun show for $1 a round. Think we'll be missing the machinegun shoot this July 4th so no worries about our tag getting photographed there with all the other heavy-metal hoodlums! LOL!
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

car cloning

I understand that masking your reg-plate on the internet is prudent to prevent car cloning. If a car was the same color, make and model as your own then any offenses committed by it's owner would come to you. Run a read light, photographed speeding, you would be hard pressed to convince the authorities that it wasn't you.

Just a thoughts.

Yeah, it's a paranoia thing...

Bart

The pirate thread is hilarious!

As a LE officer, and a Cyber Cop too boot, 80-90% of the info we gather is from public sources. Mind you, A photo of a license plate is much harder to search for than text based info. Unlike the shows on TV, there is no magic software nor hardware that can scan a blurry, pixilated photo and instantly tell what color of underwear the suspect was wearing last Tuesday while he was visiting China.

A good investigator using tried and trusted information and with a combination of resources, can compile the knowledge needed. I know, there are some bad cops that do stupid things, I don't know any per se, as I don't associate with them. The ones that were in my agency, are no longer there and I'm proud to have a lot to do with their dismissal.

I helped form, and now am in charge of one of the best High Tech Crime Units in the country (Not Bragging) and teach Computer Crime Investigations at our local college. With all I see and know, I fear not of posting information or buying items on the Internet. As with everything, use common sense, think before you act and you'll be safe.
    Scott / moncha.com

Wink

I always just assumed it perhaps had to do with either car theft or perhaps mod theft (i.e. expensive stereo..) if the thief was located nearby.

Maybe in the future a chop-shop gets a 'request' for VX body panels after they become difficult to find. He browses enthusiasts sites and sees some pics with plate #. Is able to ascertain their locations via the plate #. Finds one not too far....steals it.

Probably a stretch though...just paranoid I suppose!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger VX'er View Post
    I always just assumed it perhaps had to do with either car theft or perhaps mod theft (i.e. expensive stereo..) if the thief was located nearby.

Maybe in the future a chop-shop gets a 'request' for VX body panels after they become difficult to find. He browses enthusiasts sites and sees some pics with plate #. Is able to ascertain their locations via the plate #. Finds one not too far....steals it.

Probably a stretch though...just paranoid I suppose!
    the way i see that............ i have a BIG dog (150lb rottie) and a BIG gun(12ga shotgun) and i have only 10 years martial arts training.......oh, and i work at Best Buy installing car stereo's and security systems (needless to say mine is pretty good security)......good luck!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moncha View Post
    The ones that were in my agency, are no longer there and I'm proud to have a lot to do with their dismissal.

With all I see and know, I fear not of posting information or buying items on the Internet. .

I guess the bottom line is safety is mainly about your state of mind. If you feel safer by covering your tag then do it. If you have guns and dogs to make you feel safer that works. But to help you feel more safe, I can assure you people don't make you a victim by seeing your tag on the internet. Its kinda like the movie "The Jerk" with Steve Martin where the crazy guy picked his name out of a phonebook then went to kill him. Funny story but it don't happen. Now if you were a celebrity you may have a nut try to locate your house by using the tag. But you have nothing to fear.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeBeach View Post
    Now if you were a celebrity you may have a nut try to locate your house by using the tag. But you have nothing to fear.
    With the exception of FEAR ITSELF !