Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: License Plate

Scott (Moncha), please weigh in on this. Am sure your opinion as a law enforcement officer can put many of our minds at rest on the matter. Personally, I am not afraid of big brother,..... I think, but then I am 61 and won't be around that many more years to put up with that ****!
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Just go to intellius.com ;Type your own name & find out your self how much about info is out there about you.
    Dakar was just the begining.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    ya...im not much scared of big brother either...

maybe it helps that i study criminal justice and hope to be part of the federal justice system soon..
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    This post will give you an idea of what is possible on the net with next to nothing to go by (an IP address). Of course this guy was an idiot and got his justice. Good reading...long but entertaining. Some have probably seen it before.
    any one read the whole pirate thread? all 73 pages. im on 16 lol
    Back To The Primitive!

The pirate thread is hilarious!

As a LE officer, and a Cyber Cop too boot, 80-90% of the info we gather is from public sources. Mind you, A photo of a license plate is much harder to search for than text based info. Unlike the shows on TV, there is no magic software nor hardware that can scan a blurry, pixilated photo and instantly tell what color of underwear the suspect was wearing last Tuesday while he was visiting China.

A good investigator using tried and trusted information and with a combination of resources, can compile the knowledge needed. I know, there are some bad cops that do stupid things, I don't know any per se, as I don't associate with them. The ones that were in my agency, are no longer there and I'm proud to have a lot to do with their dismissal.

I helped form, and now am in charge of one of the best High Tech Crime Units in the country (Not Bragging) and teach Computer Crime Investigations at our local college. With all I see and know, I fear not of posting information or buying items on the Internet. As with everything, use common sense, think before you act and you'll be safe.
    Scott / moncha.com

Wink

I always just assumed it perhaps had to do with either car theft or perhaps mod theft (i.e. expensive stereo..) if the thief was located nearby.

Maybe in the future a chop-shop gets a 'request' for VX body panels after they become difficult to find. He browses enthusiasts sites and sees some pics with plate #. Is able to ascertain their locations via the plate #. Finds one not too far....steals it.

Probably a stretch though...just paranoid I suppose!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger VX'er View Post
    I always just assumed it perhaps had to do with either car theft or perhaps mod theft (i.e. expensive stereo..) if the thief was located nearby.

Maybe in the future a chop-shop gets a 'request' for VX body panels after they become difficult to find. He browses enthusiasts sites and sees some pics with plate #. Is able to ascertain their locations via the plate #. Finds one not too far....steals it.

Probably a stretch though...just paranoid I suppose!
    the way i see that............ i have a BIG dog (150lb rottie) and a BIG gun(12ga shotgun) and i have only 10 years martial arts training.......oh, and i work at Best Buy installing car stereo's and security systems (needless to say mine is pretty good security)......good luck!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moncha View Post
    The ones that were in my agency, are no longer there and I'm proud to have a lot to do with their dismissal.

With all I see and know, I fear not of posting information or buying items on the Internet. .

I guess the bottom line is safety is mainly about your state of mind. If you feel safer by covering your tag then do it. If you have guns and dogs to make you feel safer that works. But to help you feel more safe, I can assure you people don't make you a victim by seeing your tag on the internet. Its kinda like the movie "The Jerk" with Steve Martin where the crazy guy picked his name out of a phonebook then went to kill him. Funny story but it don't happen. Now if you were a celebrity you may have a nut try to locate your house by using the tag. But you have nothing to fear.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBeach View Post
    Oh I see...and the only way this weirdo would get a tag number is looking at the internet??? This weirdo don't notice tags of vehicles going down the street? And reporting a crime was just committed by the operator of this vehicle...where is the victim. And weirdo is so talented he can pick a crime and a suspect at a time the suspect has unaccounted for time. And on and on. Trust me, if a weirdo wanted to do something bad to you its much easier to follow you home then pick a tag off the internet, find a way to run it, travel to your house and pick out a crime to try out. Your tag don't entice the criminal.
    I don't mean to say that, that is the ONLY way someone could get ahold of my information. I guess I am just a paranoid person and like to keep as much information to myself as possible.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeBeach View Post
    Now if you were a celebrity you may have a nut try to locate your house by using the tag. But you have nothing to fear.
    With the exception of FEAR ITSELF !

Can't sleep.... Clowns will eat me!

Now that's FEAR!

Quote Originally Posted by Moncha View Post
    Can't sleep.... Clowns will eat me!
    Is that true?.....Aw crap, I finally got over my fear of the Sasquatch finding me. Now I have to worry about clowns!

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    I don't mean to say that, that is the ONLY way someone could get ahold of my information. I guess I am just a paranoid person and like to keep as much information to myself as possible.
    I don't think you're paranoid. We all do things to make ourself feel safe. Ever gone to bed and wondered if you locked the back door? Instead of saying "what are the chances tonight someone will try my back door" we get up to make sure its locked. And it takes no extra effort to be cautious. A lot of crime victims are victims because they don't pay attention to what's around them. Like a guy walking thru a parking lot with no purpose....why is he out there. Or a car that seems to turn everywhere you turn. Or someone in a mall not giving you ete contact...they don't want to be noticed. So being safe is just good common sense.

"Hey buddy, I need ya to run a tag for me when ya get to work tomorrow."
    "No problem. What's up?"
    "I saw a great set of wheels and tires posted on our Vehicross forum I want to try and score. The guy lives not too far away, but I need an address. At the very least I can easily get his roof rack that'll get me $500 on eBay."
    "Sure thing. Just drop off a case of beer this weekend."

If it cost $200 and took a week to block a plate from a photo, then why bother. It only takes a few seconds, so why not do it? What do you have to lose by blurring the plate number?

Mark

Haven't seen anything so far fetched since they cancelled Fantasy Island. I guess your made up suspect wouldn't be able to see the car driving down the highway and follow it. If it makes you feel safe do it. By the way, if this occurred the investigating agency could see that this victim's tag was run and they could tell which officer ran it. A rookie could solve this one.