Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: License Plate

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBeach View Post
    If it makes you feel safe do it.
    There ya go. In your first post you kinda implied that there was no reason to do this. Now you gave a valid reason to do this.

Why lock the door to your home when you leave? Any adult male could easily kick it in. So why bother locking it? Because it only takes a few seconds and it makes us feel safer.

Mark Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by deermagnet View Post
    There ya go. In your first post you kinda implied that there was no reason to do this. Now you gave a valid reason to do this.

Why lock the door to your home when you leave? Any adult male could easily kick it in. So why bother locking it? Because it only takes a few seconds and it makes us feel safer.

Mark Griffin
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBeach View Post
    I don't think you're paranoid. We all do things to make ourself feel safe. Ever gone to bed and wondered if you locked the back door? Instead of saying "what are the chances tonight someone will try my back door" we get up to make sure its locked. And it takes no extra effort to be cautious. A lot of crime victims are victims because they don't pay attention to what's around them. Like a guy walking thru a parking lot with no purpose....why is he out there. Or a car that seems to turn everywhere you turn. Or someone in a mall not giving you ete contact...they don't want to be noticed. So being safe is just good common sense.
    That's absolutely right you say here.
    Safety is about performing and/or anticipating actions against situations that may cause you harm;Specially if you live in a non well reputated hood.
    Having your tags covered on the web wouldn't prevent an undesirable neirbor drive away with your car during the night while having a relaxing sleep after a tough day at your job site.
    I'll be more worry handing my debit/credit card to the clerk at the gas station then covering the tags.
    For example,there's gas station where they ask you for your id if you paying with debit/credit card & hold on to them inside the clerk's cabin while you pumping gas several feets away & your stuff outter of your eyesight.
    I had an huge argument with the clerk about that situation & following customers didn't fill they cars because of that.
    The clerk claimed he had the right to do so following his words itold him: Really ? Ok,so what if money go missing from my account ? Did you wonder who i'll be coming for ?
    You can't withold no individual's sensitive info such as debit/credit card & id more then verify that i'm who i say i am.

With that said i had all the station's info such as business license number & called the NYS customer affairs reporting the situation.
    Dakar was just the begining.

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    This post will give you an idea of what is possible on the net with next to nothing to go by (an IP address). Of course this guy was an idiot and got his justice. Good reading...long but entertaining. Some have probably seen it before.
    Billy,
    I hate you (not really)
    It's after 3am, and I can't read anymore. I'm on page 17 with sidetracks to linked posts. I can't wait to see where this ended.
    The lack of rational thought by this guy, is only equaled by my Ex.
    Some people you just can't help

Happy 4th
    Sometimes I Wonder......
    Why Is That Frizbee Getting Bigger?
    Then It Hits Me

As a LE officer, and a Cyber Cop too boot, 80-90% of the info we gather is from public sources. Mind you, A photo of a license plate is much harder to search for than text based info. Unlike the shows on TV, there is no magic software nor hardware that can scan a blurry, pixilated photo and instantly tell what color of underwear the suspect was wearing last Tuesday while he was visiting China.
    I saw NCIS ...they were looking at a out door security video of a car 10 yards away with two guys talking and one had a piece of paper in his hand ..so they froze the picture zoomed onto the first guy..then and zoomed in on the piece of paper ..hit a few keys on the magic computer and was able to read the barcode on it and with less then a min.. they did a scan of the barcode and found it to be a plane ticket reciept.....lol
    I love tv shows.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

Ah Don but LE does have some cool stuff (yea, I know, not like all the junk on TV). Here in Tucson we have a car that drives around with a camera that reads liscence plates on all the vehicles it passes or that pass it. The #'s are automatically ran through an on board computer system that within seconds tells the officer if the plate/car is a reported stolen one. I think we are one of the test subjects since auto theft is big here with our proximity to the boarder.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I keep hearing circus music...

CLOWNS
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harness View Post
    I keep hearing circus music...

CLOWNS
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Circus music....clowns??????
    You lost me!

Quote Originally Posted by deermagnet View Post

Mark Griffin
    Am I the only one who doesn't lock his door? Like most houses, I have this clear, fragile panel strategically spread around my home. If it gets hit by a stray rock from the mower, a ball or whatever, it just shatters. I think it is emergency escape access in case of a fire? Why lock your door, it takes a second to break a window and NO ONE will hear it or care unless they too are stalking you. So those that are paranoid, if it makes you feel better...go for it.
    I know you are naysayers are thinkin it, why do I lock my VX doors? Breaking the window out of a car is a lot louder and more noticeable than someones backyard window. Plus, I would guess that auto break-in is more prevalent than home since it is a lot safer for a criminal. You never know what is on the other side of the door to a house; a mute Rottie, a silenced 9mm, who knows. Sometimes I dream about someone coming into my home, I wouldn't make a peep...just a bang....bang....bang bang bang bang...then "Damn, who is gonna clean all this up?"

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

If they break my window they get to deal with my two best friends...and believe me someone will be making some noise!
    The first one there will be Diablo...75 pounds and fast!

Then they get to meet 175 pound Luc!

Who needs an alarm?

Nice Billy,
    Mine is only 45lbs, but since he is half dingo, he has the radar ears of a dingo that can rotate all the way around, people can't even pull into my driveway without him going off......at least I will know they are coming.

likewise....

currently 1 3/4 year old rottie.... 95lbs...
    Bentley doesnt let much slip by him.

Hmmm, nice dogs. Unfortunately, most crooks previously case your place beforehand. They'll be bringing over some nice tenderloin steaks for man's best friend to munch on and occupy your dog's time while the crooks go shopping within your home. Here poochy, poochy; here poochy, poochy.

Me, I prefer claymore mines on trip wires and Vietnam-era pungy-sticks on swinging pendalums. Plus, I don't have to feed booby-traps-- I just need to remember where they are.

a little paranoid are we riff raff???

with 3 different people/last names in my house, we are always coming and going...would be hard for someone to steal from us.