Thread: Operation AWOL

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wrench Operation AWOL

This project may be beyond understanding for some, but Operation AWOL is under way... AWOL is an '84 CUCV M1008 Chevy 5/4 ton Army truck honorably discharged from use in the "original" Gulf War. This 6,000 pound hunk of metal came back to The 'States to do ranch work in Wyoming for a couple years until it was retired to a storage unit for a couple more years until I found it and brought it home for $600. It is now in SLC with me... let the work begin...

Additional Specs:
    Detroit 6.2 Liter V8 Diesel
    TH400 Automatic Transmission
    NP208 Transfer Case
    Dana 60 Front Axle w/ 4.56 Gears
    Corp 14-Bolt Full-Floating Rear Axle w/ 4.56 Gears & Detoit Locker
    24/12 Volt Hybrid Electrical System

The '95 Wrangler will be at the frontline and will most likely be the 1st casualty in this operation... Zeus is safe at the HQ for now...
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    dude justin...my dad has that EXACT same truck...
    diesel was starting to go out...so he replaced it with some big gas motor that runs like a champ...

uses it to plow snow...
    thing is a freakin TANK!

i've always wanted to inherit it from him to make into an offroad toy
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Nice, Justin! AWOL actually looks to be in pretty good shape! What are the problems she has that need fixing? I don't any serious rust or anything, so your project should be pretty straight forward, eh?

What are your plans for the final paint job? Are you going to keep the tried and true OD Army feel or go with a Desert Storm flat khaki?

Gotta love a new project.

Bart

BTW, what kind of locking hubs are those?

Bart

Finley!! I was wondering if I’d ever see that thing. Looks like it’s in really good condition. Does it have the mil spec 24 volt electrical system in it?
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

Oops. I see you posted that it is. That’s going to be a really good crawler.

I hear ya - I'm not even going to photochop it cuz I already know I want to bob it and paint the wheels to match. I am going to order a Softopper in tan and then try to find what paint best matches that. The M60 tho may get in the way.

The softtopper in Army colors would be cool. It will give it that personnel carrier feel.

Bart

Not much of an update but an update nonetheless. I finally cleaned out the fuel tank and reinstalled it and the bed recently. I charged up a pair of batteries from another truck, added 5 gallons of diesel and hoped for the best. Well, it almost started! I think I had too much air in the lines or pump - someone else will have to fire it up. Thanks to the grill hoop on the Jeep I was able to hang a tire from it and push the truck back into the garage again to meet ordinance. Stupid diesels! It is a lot closer to operational now tho.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    lookin good justin...

i may be joining you on this boat sooner rather than later... been thinking lately that a CUCV would be a good trade for my acura... give me a beater for offroading and FABBING the crap outta it

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    lookin good justin...

i may be joining you on this boat sooner rather than later... been thinking lately that a CUCV would be a good trade for my acura... give me a beater for offroading and FABBING the crap outta it
    Sweet, man! Who needs a measely car anyway!? I talked to 'my assistant' aka best friend and I think we have decided to do over the next 2 weeks what I originally planned with the 2wd donor truck anyway. Since I bought 3 diesel trucks and can only have one unregistered outside - the ordinance issue may be the kick in the arse I needed to finally do the body swap. God that will be a lot of work - but if it gets me a winter vehicle it would be worth it - still, ugh. I'll keep you posted...