Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
no no...the diesel he had was only getting 4 or 5 mpg when he got it (hence the reason for the replacement)

his is strickly a farm vehicle...almost never driven on the roads, so he doesnt really measure mileage...but a tank of gas lasts WAY longer now...
Crikey! Yeah, I'd fix that too. Pity he didn't know much about diesels, they're way simpler than gassers and it likely just needed the pump adjusted. Before it was "squished" our M1028 made it from Kansas City to St. Louis running about 70MPH and averaged 24MPG. And that was with the stock 3-speed TH400 automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
Well, I started looking into rebuilding mine just to be on the safe side and found this buildup article: http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/c...dup/index.html

It is what kinda scared me off and into thinking the 6.5 would be a better candidate for me to build up. And since '94 was it's 1st year of production as well as the 1st year of production for the NV4500 (with the 6.34 1st gear) I figured I could have one donor truck with everything hooked up together without needing gueeswork and adapters. I can buy a complete '94 for around $2500 whereas fitting just the Banks turbo on the 6.2 would run me $2000+. I still think the 6.2 is a fine motor but without an OD the CUCV is not going to work for a loooong road trip so I am trying to kill 3 birds with one stone.
Gotcha. I'm going to hold off on the turbo for a while as I was duly impressed with the M1028's get-up-and-go abilities. Definitely will be on the hunt for the 5-speed manual so we'll have to compare notes whenever I get to that point. Right now my focus is putting a flatbed on the Mack and overhauling the brake lines on the M35A2 since it likes to blow a line every time I want to stop on asphalt.