Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tone's Hitch... Question

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet75 View Post
    Now... question... Can I mount a "standard" hitch in addition to Tone's hitch???
    I've never seen it done, but from what I've seen of the other type of frame mounted (lower slung) hitches, I don't see any problem with clearance.

Thumbs down Update...

I had such good luck with the hitch mounted carrier on my wife's Grand Cherokee that I wanted to just try it out on the road today on the VX. Here are some pics of it parked in front of my house. It's kinda obvious by the last few pics what the verdict is re: Tone's hitch and a Jet Ski.
    It's just too much tongue weight for Tone's hitch + VX Bumper. While driving around the block, I was watching the ski bounce on drainage gutter/crossings, about 3 inches. Not good.

SO... anyone selling a Curt/Uhaul style hitch? Wanna trade???
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet75 View Post
    I had such good luck with the hitch mounted carrier on my wife's Grand Cherokee that I wanted to just try it out on the road today on the VX. Here are some pics of it parked in front of my house. It's kinda obvious by the last few pics what the verdict is re: Tone's hitch and a Jet Ski.
    It's just too much tongue weight for Tone's hitch + VX Bumper. While driving around the block, I was watching the ski bounce on drainage gutter/crossings, about 3 inches. Not good.

SO... anyone selling a Curt/Uhaul style hitch? Wanna trade???
    I've frequently seen Curt/Uhaul/Dylan hitches on eBay... maybe buy one there?

(Slightly) off subject, but how the heck do you plan on getting the jet ski into the water? Do you just pick it up and throw it in like a dead fish?

LOL. It actually works very well where I launch. I just back it into the water (I walk out my line first to make sure I'm not going into mud), and get it to where the water is just below the door line. Then I unstrap the ski and slide it into the water (water level is about 3 inches below the ski ramp at this point). Putting it back ON is the trick... I get a running start (3 steps) and at the last second lift the ski's nose with all my might. This gets it about 1 foot onto the ramps. I then hold the ski, and with the rest of my energy, move to the back of the ski and lift and PUSH! I'm exhausted by the end, but it works!

By the way... I'm entering and exiting the ramp from the SIDE... just to clarify. LOL

WOW.

you need a set of wheelie bars on the back
    Scott / moncha.com

It might be time to get yourself a bigger SUV and pass your VX off to a good home. And I pass mine off to a good home as well...

LOL... My mind changes weekly... but at this point, I've pretty much decided to keep the VX. We are going to sell the amphib. ATV, so that just leaves the jet skis.. which are a summer sport only in Vegas. So, winter will be for VX off roading... with hopefully a newly LIFTED VX soon. Sorry to keep leading you around... I feel like I've "ding-dong ditched" you to death! LOL

Well as long as you run the mods past me first for approval, we will be fine for the future purchase,

Quote Originally Posted by Moncha View Post
    you need a set of wheelie bars on the back
    I could probably just add some heavy duty casters to the basket. If I do a throttle punch, I might actually DO a wheelie! LOL

Thumbs up SUCCESS!!!!!! FINALLY!!!

A HUGE THANKS to Workmeistr, who traded me straight out, my "Tone" hitch for his Uhaul hitch!!! I installed it about 2 weeks ago and took one of my jet ski's to the river with it. The hitch itself was GREAT... the basket (Harbor Freight) was the weak link (go figure)
    The basket tweaked sideways due to the weight of the motor on that end of the ski, by about 4 inches Other than that, and the fact that the ski's motor siezed after 3 hrs of running, and I had to swim it back 1.5 miles... the setup had GREAT potential!

So, to stop it from twisting... I did my OWN design, bought the steel (2x2x1/4" sq. tubing), had it cut: ... then took it to a fab. shop to have welded. I was kinda stoked when the shop mgr. told me he liked my design... said it should hold 3 ski's... 2 hrs. later, I picked it up: Looked GREAT! Like an art sculpture! Great welder... $80 for labor/mat.
    So, I mounted the rails and tie-downs and got some spray on truck bed liner and... WAHLAHHH!!!
    Now when I jump on it, the back of the VX bounces... NOT the hitch! This thing is ROCK SOLID!!!
    Now, I'm just waiting for the new Anti-rattle/wobble device to arrive (tomorrow), then I'll take it for a test... Off-road with the Jet Ski on!