Thread: The Internet Parts Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I am not getting this obsession with the Borbet wheels. They are just brushed 5 stars? There are much better looking wheels out there for a much lower price? I can't see paying a grand for those, without tires no less?
    Lol, the king of polarizing/questionable styling decisions now questions others? J/k, couldn't help but poke back.

Quote Originally Posted by samneil2000 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to say it. Is it because they were used on the VX02 or is it something about the rounded styling that just grabs some of yall?
    To each his/her own though.
    Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT
    It's just the styling, pure and simple...you all like your style, I happen to drool over this style. I like the color and finish, the smooth lines and the 5 spoke, not too busy, just really slick looking. And I liked them before I even knew they were on the VX-02.
    Well I guess I'll come at it from a slightly different angle. I've never been a fan of aftermarket rims for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that they often cost decent/big ching for little to no difference other than a questionable stylistic upgrade. That said, there are two reasons why I don't like the stock 18" rims: the chintzy (IMHO) chrome finish that inevitably flakes and the angular wheel design that makes dust collection more severe and cleaning more of a pain in the @ss. So for me the answer was a brushed aluminum finish with a more rounded/smooth shape, which you obviously see in the Borbet rims. Coming from the sports car world (and particularly from a sports car with this style rim) I really like the 5/7 spoke design, which to me conveys more of a sport feel as opposed to a truck/SUV/utilitarian feel. As with the rest of my mods, I wanted something understated that could pass for OEM but be a nice visual upgrade. Apparently the VehiCROSS design team came to this same conclusion, as they featured this rim not only on the VX-02 but also in white-colored form on their Ironman show truck. I would be lying to say that the VX-02 connection and rarity of the rim aren't a part of the decision-making process, as they do after all add an even more unique aspect to an already uncommon vehicle. But there are other factors as well.

All of that to say that obviously this is not the desired style of many (if not most) of the membership here, but for anyone interested in this particular rim I'm happy to help in locating them. I don't know for sure how many sets Borbet produced, but since I only see a set for sale globally once or twice a year I thought I would post it here.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    As with the rest of my mods, I wanted something understated that could pass for OEM but be a nice visual upgrade. .
    Dude Man...you & me are in the same mindset...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Dude Man...you & me are in the same mindset...

Right. All VX's came with a coffin, right?