Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: spark plugs

i paid 3.33 per for my ngk platinums.. it was gonna be like 13 per for the iridiums so i didnt bother.. got the 6th one finished.. runs smooth.. pretty sure a little quieter, which i was not expecting, no real difference in pickup though

OK, 3 hrs 45 mins and we're done! ,....and didn't have to email Dub even once! Might take you 2 mins each, but I'm a little ...shall we say,.... slow...
    Changed all 6 spark plugs to NGK Laser Platinums #PFR5G-11 as Mark listed above. The old Champions that the PO had in look pretty terrible to me, rusty, corroded or blackened in some areas. Dang, I was so hoping that the PO had taken better care of my VX, maybe not at least in this area.

Only dropped one socket wrench...landed on the nifty Kilby skid plate! Dave played let's contort our body like monkey to get it back from underneath. He's a good man!

Sounds like it runs smoother and a tad quieter...she's purrin' now!

I did manage to do most of it myself...Dave would come check on me about every 20 mins ....see if I needed some muscle....I did ..Sure found out Dave has a ton more tools than I realized...he came up with every u-joint, socket, spark plug puller, etc...we needed. Everything went much smoother AFTER we taped the extensions together on the socket thing...thanks Mark!
    Dave's never seen spark plugs so far down....well, now he has.

Can't wait to check it out and see pick up and MPG....but who cares, it's all good! Ahhh, the pride & satisfaction that I did something myself!

What do you think of the condition of these spark plugs?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    OK, 3 hrs 45 mins and we're done! ,....and didn't have to email Dub even once! Might take you 2 mins each, but I'm a little ...shall we say,.... slow...
    Changed all 6 spark plugs to NGK Laser Platinums #PFR5G-11 as Mark listed above.

Only dropped one socket wrench...landed on the nifty Kilby skid plate! Dave played let's contort our body like monkey to get it back from underneath. He's a good man!

Sounds like it runs smoother and a tad quieter...she's purrin' now!

I did manage to do most of it myself...Dave would come check on me about every 20 mins ....see if I needed some muscle....I did ..Sure found out Dave has a ton more tools than I realized...he came up with every u-joint, socket, spark plug puller, etc...we needed. Everything went much smoother AFTER we taped the extensions together on the socket thing...thanks Mark!
    Dave's never seen spark plugs so far down....well, now he has.

Can't wait to check it out and see pick up and MPG....but who cares, it's all good! Ahhh, the pride & satisfaction that I did something myself!
    Good job Sue.... You're becoming quite the little wrench...

Few things in life are as satisfying as doing it yourself...

BTW, did you check the gap, to make suer it was .040 (IIRC) before you installed the new plugs?...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Good job Sue.... You're becoming quite the little wrench...

Few things in life are as satisfying as doing it yourself...

BTW, did you check the gap, to make suer it was .040 (IIRC) before you installed the new plugs?...
    Thanks! It was kind of "fun" as I love learning how things work...but I can definitely see how being taller would make it a lot easier! Ya gotta picture me on a 2 step stool, leaning way over the engine, trying to get to those 2 back plugs, and make sure A) I didn't loose my balance (a very real possibility!), B) I didn't fall in, and C) I didn't break something else in the engine bay leaning on it, D) I didn't drop any more tools which would land on the skid plate, and E) I didn't hit the hood support pole and end up decapitating myself! It wasn't pretty!

No, I relied on Mark deermagnet that said they were pre-gapped correctly...and the box said not to adjust them....hope that was correct...

Hey, it started & ran afterwards, doesn't that mean it was successful???
    Last edited by VX KAT : 02/07/2010 at 11:08 AM

Good job, Sue! Next time you'll change the front ones in two minutes, no problem.

I checked the gap on a couple and it was fine, and the box does say not to adjust 'em.

Those old plugs look like they've been in there a very long time. I checked the Champion site and at least they are the right platinum plugs for a VX. One new owner pulled the plugs and found the last owner used plain non-plat Champion's at about $1.50 each! Anyone buying a VX should pull at least one plug right away and see what type are in there and their condition.

Mark

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

No, I relied on Mark deermagnet that said they were pre-gapped correctly...and the box said not to adjust them....hope that was correct...

Hey, it started & ran afterwards, doesn't that mean it was successful???
    I'm sure you'll be fine...

I'm just too anal when it comes to stuff like that....

What do you think of the condition of these spark plugs?
    They look nermal - just used up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I forgot that the gap size is part of the part number on NGK plugs. The -11 on the end is for 1.1mm or .040". They have a protector on the plug in the box so they don't get knocked around and change the gap. It doesn't hurt to check 'em, but I always found the few I checked spot on.

I think Sue only has about 65K miles. That means those Champions were put in not too long after it was new. I wonder why the originals got changed out so soon? That's assuming the originals weren't Champion.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by deermagnet View Post
    I think Sue only has about 65K miles. That means those Champions were put in not too long after it was new. I wonder why the originals got changed out so soon? That's assuming the originals weren't Champion.

Mark
    I was wonderin' the same thing. A dealer owned mine for about first year, then 2nd owner was almost 5 yrs, then sat at used car lot for a while, then me 12/08. My guess is, since mine was bone stock, PO had a shop tell him/her they needed it & replaced them with the cheap stuff. It spent it's entire life in Washington DC/VA area so do harsh winters cause need for more frequent tune ups?? I have no idea.

Not to spark ( MAN, I am so effin' funny) another debate here, but I had to order my timing belt/ water pump replacement parts from Merlin the other day, so while I was at it I asked him about the spark plugs since they need to be changed too. He said that Denso's came in the VX originally so I had him send me what they use to replace the plugs in their shop. I figure since the original Denso's have lasted me almost 100k miles that they're good enough to go back in the old girl.

Isuzu replacement Denso plugs. Denso K16PR-P11
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless