Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: spark plugs

spark plugs

looking to do my spark plugs today.. just want to make sure its actually an easy a job as it sounds... 2 screws to remove the ignition coil, a spark plug socket on long extensions to remove the old ones, just check the gap on the spark plugs to 0.040 lube up the threads and boot then torque em down to 13ft lbs?

that sounds too easy...

also just out of curiousity, what type of plug is everyone using.. im torn between the denso iridium 16 and the bosch platinum +4

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    You'll also need some sort of flex/U-joint type tool thing to get at the driver side rear...

FWIW, I prefer iridium.

not as easy as all that

The back plugs are a b&*^% to get to and install Just get a tune up that includes spark plugs it will be better all around

Don't use too much grease, as it can cause misfires...

I used Denso's...

It's so easy. I just replaced mine for the third time on Saturday. I use NGK Laser Platinums #PFR5G-11. They come already gapped correctly. $10 each at Advance Auto. The Denso IK16's have an ultra fine 0.4mm electrode that only lasts about 30K miles. The plats will go for 100K, but I change mine at 50K 'cuz it's so cheap 'n easy.

The ones out in the open take about two minutes each to change. The #5 on the pass side takes just a little longer. The #6 is the only tough one, but not too bad. This is how I get at #6. I use 1/2" drive, which is my way. I have the 1/2" plug socket, then a reducer from 1/2" to 3/8", then a 3/8" universal joint, then about a 3" extension. I wrap duct tape around the joints so the whole thing stays together. Ya don't wanna leave anything down there outta sight. That brings it up just above the tube for a 3/8" rachet.

It's really a very easy job.

Mark Griffin (a VX lifer)
    Last edited by deermagnet : 07/16/2009 at 08:12 AM

anything that takes

Quote Originally Posted by deermagnet View Post
    It's so easy. I just replaced mine for the third time on Saturday. I use NGK Laser Platinums #PFR5G-11. They come already gapped correctly. $10 each at Advance Auto. The Denso IK16's have an ultra fine 0.4mm electrode that only lasts about 30K miles. The plats will go for 100K, but I change mine at 50K 'cuz it's so cheap 'n easy.

The ones out in the open take about two minutes each to change. The #5 on the pass side takes just a little longer. The #6 is the only tough one, but not too bad. This is how I get at #6. I use 1/2" drive, which is my way. I have the 1/2" plug socket, then a reducer from 1/2" to 3/8", then a 3/8" universal joint, then about a 3" extension. I wrap duct tape around the joints so the whole thing stays together. Ya don't wanna leave anything down there outta sight. That brings it up just above the tube for a 3/8" rachet.

It's really a very easy job.

Mark Griffin (a VX lifer)

More than 10 words to explain is not easy.

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    The back plugs are a b&*^% to get to and install Just get a tune up that includes spark plugs it will be better all around
    ehh.. i cant see paying $75 bucks in labor for something i can do myself..

thanks for the tips guys, sounds easy enough, ive got all the tools necessary.. decided to wait on buying the plugs though a retailer at work so i can get em at cost.. i was expecting the plugs to be like 2-3 a piece.. at 7 its worth waiting a day to get em cheaper

I'd post pix of the process but ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

havent done it yet.. ive been trying to find a part number for the bosch platinum +4 plug but nobody seems to have a listing for the VX or trooper? anyone with them remember which number you needed?

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    etl, just a personal note...

i would never use anything but NGK in my japanese vehicles.

they are designed for japanese vehicles and work the best with japanese vehicles...

tried the bosch platinum 4+ one time in my integra...within a week i went back to the parts store to get NGK's due to the misfiring, lack of power and oil consumption the bosch's had...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    tried the bosch platinum 4+ one time in my integra...within a week i went back to the parts store to get NGK's due to the misfiring, lack of power and oil consumption the bosch's had...
    I'm not picking or anything, but how does a spark plug cause oil consumption? In my opinion, only two things can cause oil consumption: oil getting past the valves, and oil getting past the rings.
    Just wondering. I've been wrong before, once.

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    havent done it yet.. ive been trying to find a part number for the bosch platinum +4 plug but nobody seems to have a listing for the VX or trooper?
    If ya do a Google search for Bosch Isuzu it seems like #4417 is the plug, maybe. Some people here have been happy with the 4+ in their VX.

Mark

just did 5/6 spark plugs in a touch over 15 minutes.. i was about to tackle the drivers side spark plug closest to the firewall but a big storm moved in real quickly so i packed it in first and just in time.. so ill take care of that one tomorrow..

i ended up going with NGK Platinum plugs thanks to pbkid's advice

I'm running the NGK Platinum plugs myself and also use them in the eclipse. That last one was a pita, but a little patience and you can get it in no prob...

[EDIT]: I just dug out the NGK boxes from the garage, I actually have the NGK Iridium IX, not the Platiums...
    Last edited by Knigh7s : 08/19/2009 at 09:03 PM
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

I am seeing more and more iridium plugs on the market. Knowing it is rarer than platinum (in plugs at least), it is still priced cheaper than the plats.

I am "told" by some local fellow gearheads that they use irids because they are more heat tolerable than plats. The majority of these guys run juice too so maybe they are on to something. If there is any shred of truth to this, I just dont't see the S/C generating that much more heat for plugs to need, heh. *shrug*

Regardless, I use NGK Plats. Seen them anywhere between $8 - $12.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT