Thread: 1961 Camper Restoration

1961 Camper Restoration

I just bought this thing, good shape. I will be restoring it a little.....well maybe alot actually. I think it will be pretty cool, especially since it's towable with the VX. I will need mirror extenders if anyone knows of some that fit our vx rearviews? (I noticed that hauling it home) Anyone ever tackle one of these before??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Milwaukee WI

you should look into the 16 foot airstream restorations... there are a bunch of people doing those and they are typically about the same dimensions/overall shape.
    macintosh man

Thanks techno--I'll look into it.

Wow, that's pretty cool. I still own a 16ft 1969 Aloha Camping trailer that looks almost identical, although mine is still in like-new condition. Mine has been custom-painted to match my FJ-40, which I use as the tow vehicle. Those little vintage 16ft trailers are awesome with plenty of room; are extremely lightweight, and are easy to tow.

Just remember to be very "prudent" when towing it, as it doesn't like high freeway speeds (tends to fishtail violently above 60 MPH) and take all curves at least 5 MPH slower than the posted curve sign (otherwise it might tip-over due to its top-heaviness). Tow it safely at no more than 60 MPH maximum on the highway; and take all curves slowly, and it will last for many years. Congrats on your purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Wow, that's pretty cool. I still own a 16ft 1969 Aloha Camping trailer that looks almost identical, although mine is still in like-new condition. Mine has been custom-painted to match my FJ-40, which I use as the tow vehicle. Those little vintage 16ft trailers are awesome with plenty of room; are extremely lightweight, and are easy to tow.

Just remember to be very "prudent" when towing it, as it doesn't like high freeway speeds (tends to fishtail violently above 60 MPH) and take all curves at least 5 MPH slower than the posted curve sign (otherwise it might tip-over due to its top-heaviness). Tow it safely at no more than 60 MPH maximum on the highway; and take all curves slowly, and it will last for many years. Congrats on your purchase.
    I will heed your advice, thanx

Good score DJ. You'll have a lot of fun with that.

Wifey & I are kind of doing a 180 from your approach tho. We're in the process of buying this:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Tom, I bet if you load enough stuff in the back of that thing you could do wheelies...thats a long backend behind the wheels.

DJ you should paint it to match the VX!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Heck yeah.....put some cladding around the sides......That would look sick!

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Heck, NO!!! Leave it all white. There's a reason why manufacturer's always paint their camper's white-- it's to reflect the Sun and stay cool in the heat. If you paint it black, you'll roast like a turkey and explode.

When I custom-painted mine to match my FJ-40 (which is Yellow), I only painted a narrow side panel yellow to signify the relationship between the tow vehicle and the trailer. The rest of the trailer remains all white.

Quote Originally Posted by djvx View Post
    I just bought this thing, good shape. I will be restoring it a little.....well maybe alot actually. I think it will be pretty cool, especially since it's towable with the VX. I will need mirror extenders if anyone knows of some that fit our vx rearviews? (I noticed that hauling it home) Anyone ever tackle one of these before??

Awesome find. Brings back memories, my family had one just like that when I was a kid. We had it parked on a lot in Trout Haven, a fishing resort in Colorado. Fun memories of that little camper!

Riff Raff ---breakn' out the Disturbed "Smiley"

"Tom, I bet if you load enough stuff in the back of that thing you could do wheelies...thats a long backend behind the wheels."

It rides like a dream tho & should tow the VX nicely (when I score a trailer). This puts me one major step closer to making it to Moab next year or the year after.

All the paperwork is done - picking it up tomorrow.